Can Clemson Get as many as 10 - 5* Recruits?

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
That's my thought. If you get Dabo, do you get Venables and the rest. Clemson does seem to bring in the recruits, but they are in the ACC, which was really down this year so of course they look great. We are going to find out in a month or so how good Clemson really is. How would Dabo do if he was facing BAMA, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Georgia etc on an annual basis.
And that my friend is what the media and casual fans fail to recognize. Even in a down year, the SEC is still a grind compared to the ACC. There is no way Clemson would have the “clean” run they have this year playing in the SEC West.

Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I made my post here 3 weeks ago and it got no interest. $180k with a money trail and court testimony, but it won't go anywhere with the NCAA because the parents got the $$$, not the kid. The family will simply say that the player didn't know anything about it. Cam Newton defense.
All of this stuff is sounding like that Nick Nolte movie "Blue Chips". How many "friends of the program" groups are out there.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I believe the NCAA closed the Cam Newton loophole because of.... Cam Newton. However with the current climate in college football I'm not sure if they are still enforcing rules. Perhaps someone will find out the hard way
I don't think that it is closed. No evidence that it is closed. Can't think of a single player disqualified for this.

Reactions: BamaFanatJSU

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
I read that article at the time, thought it was BS then, and I still think it's BS now. Especially the Andre Smith angle, which had nothing to do with recruiting a kid to sign with a school and everything to do with a current player brokering with an agent before going pro. If the NCAA had started formulating the rule in 2008 when they suspended Andre Smith, Cam would never have been allowed to play in 2012. CYA defense then and now.

• Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I had a conversation this week with a guy whose kid is in my wife's class. They are big Clemson fans. But, to his credit, he is from South Carolina, born and raised there and has always been a Clemson fan even before their success. Very nice and knowledgeable guy. He said at first a lot of their fan base was concerned about Dabo leaving for Bama if/when the chance comes available. Dabo still loves Alabama and the Clemson folks know it.

However, most of the Clemson faithful no longer fear Dabo leaving. He said those who live there and are in the community with their family say they would be utterly shocked if they left Clemson, not only for Alabama but for any program. He said that is truly "home" for Dabo's family. He also said everyone believes Dabo knows staying in the ACC is his best move as a coach. Unless something drastically changes, Dabo has an automatic pass to the playoff by being in the ACC for the next five to possibly ten years. No other program in the ACC is even showing glimpses of catching them. He said several of the people he still stays in contact with are very connected to the program. So for those who want Dabo as Bama's next coach. If what this guy says has any truth to it. It's probably not going to happen. And for those who don't want him here. Congratulations! LOL!

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I had a conversation this week with a guy whose kid is in my wife's class. They are big Clemson fans. But, to his credit, he is from South Carolina, born and raised there and has always been a Clemson fan even before their success. Very nice and knowledgeable guy. He said at first a lot of their fan base was concerned about Dabo leaving for Bama if/when the chance comes available. Dabo still loves Alabama and the Clemson folks know it.

However, most of the Clemson faithful no longer fear Dabo leaving. He said those who live there and are in the community with their family say they would be utterly shocked if they left Clemson, not only for Alabama but for any program. He said that is truly "home" for Dabo's family. He also said everyone believes Dabo knows staying in the ACC is his best move as a coach. Unless something drastically changes, Dabo has an automatic pass to the playoff by being in the ACC for the next five to possibly ten years. No other program in the ACC is even showing glimpses of catching them. He said several of the people he still stays in contact with are very connected to the program. So for those who want Dabo as Bama's next coach. If what this guy says has any truth to it. It's probably not going to happen. And for those who don't want him here. Congratulations! LOL!
The only reason I could even think about him wanting to come to Alabama is to put his name in the same breath as Coach Saban and Urban Myer as one of the head coaches to win a national title at two different schools. That may not be something that motivates him since like you are saying he has got it made at Clemson and there are really no challengers to knock him off.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The only reason I could even think about him wanting to come to Alabama is to put his name in the same breath as Coach Saban and Urban Myer as one of the head coaches to win a national title at two different schools. That may not be something that motivates him since like you are saying he has got it made at Clemson and there are really no challengers to knock him off.
It's just too easy where he has it and human nature (for all of us) is to take the path of least resistance. Especially if you can still get the grand prize. He's in a perfect scenario and like we've discussed. Unless something unforeseen happens in the ACC. He will have this scenario for at least the next five years, possibly more. He could easily rack up two to three more NC's with what he has at Clemson. If you watch any of their conference games they are rarely challenged not only on the scoreboard, but physically. They are so physically superior to the rest of their conference it's sickening to watch. Dabo can stand behind a podium all he wants and do his best to try and convince everyone outside the ACC otherwise. But all you have to do is watch a few of their games and realize there's no way he believes what's coming out of his mouth when he "politics" for the strength of the ACC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Con

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
It's just too easy where he has it and human nature (for all of us) is to take the path of least resistance. Especially if you can still get the grand prize. He's in a perfect scenario and like we've discussed. Unless something unforeseen happens in the ACC. He will have this scenario for at least the next five years, possibly more. He could easily rack up two to three more NC's with what he has at Clemson. If you watch any of their conference games they are rarely challenged not only on the scoreboard, but physically. They are so physically superior to the rest of their conference it's sickening to watch. Dabo stand behind a podium all he wants and do his best to try and convince everyone outside the ACC otherwise. But all you have to do is watch a few of their games and realize there's no way he believes what's coming out of his mouth when he "politics" for the strength of the ACC.
If Dabo is going to catch up to Saban with the National Championships, I would rather him do it as the Bama head coach after Saban retires, not at Clemson. Dabo has it made there. He is only 50 years old. If Clemson wins another NC this year, "experts" will certainly talk about a dynasty being started at Clemson. I really hope Florida State and other teams can get close to that level, but I am not getting my hopes too high for that.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
The only person who knows if Dabo is leaving or not is Dabo himself. So the word from the fan has no merit. Because of Dabo's age, I still think it's a 50/50 chance he leaves Clemson for Bama but that would be the only school he would leave Clemson for.

With that said, I encourage the ACC top stop acting like a mid level conference and start acting like a P5 conference and start developing some good teams that can actually threaten Clemson.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
So, I think Saban stays coaching long enough that the luster of a Dabo hire would have dulled enough to pass on him during a coaching change at UA IMHO. I just don't think he can sustain his success due to multiple factors one of which will be Nick Saban himself.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

He is the present day version of Bobby Bowden.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I've said this before, and still think it's true: There is no logical reason for Dabo to leave Clemson. Not money, not resources, not access to talent, and certainly not an easy and repeatable path to conference or national championships. Clemson would match Alabama for the first three, and wins the fourth one in a runaway.

The only reason he'd leave is emotional...as in, he just wants to be the head coach at Alabama, and nothing else will do.

There might be an emotional tug, but I have a hard time believing it's strong enough to overcome the factors that would lead him to stay put. For that reason, I think Dabo might listen. He might even waver a bit. But in the end, he stays at Clemson.

Reactions: Con

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I've said this before, and still think it's true: There is no logical reason for Dabo to leave Clemson. Not money, not resources, not access to talent, and certainly not an easy and repeatable path to conference or national championships. Clemson would match Alabama for the first three, and wins the fourth one in a runaway.

The only reason he'd leave is emotional...as in, he just wants to be the head coach at Alabama, and nothing else will do.

There might be an emotional tug, but I have a hard time believing it's strong enough to overcome the factors that would lead him to stay put. For that reason, I think Dabo might listen. He might even waver a bit. But in the end, he stays at Clemson.
Well, when mama calls... 🤔

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.