Game Thread: Offical Post-Game Thread Bama vs. New Mexico State - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 53
  1. #40
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Huntington, WV
    Posts
    144

    Re: Offical Post-Game Thread Bama vs. New Mexico State

    Quote Originally Posted by Craxycat View Post
    I was at the game (daughter who is a student got us tickets)...full sun the whole time until we moved to the shady side of the field where we had family. About 12 folks that I saw got carted out by medics (One was right behind me had to help try to cool her off). Bless the people who danced through it...I hate not being one of them lol.

    Glad for the win, the line play worries me too, but I figure if you're gonna have an issue this would be the best time to do it. Praying Diggs is ok...we do need him for sure.
    The heat was brutal. The East stands cheering when the first cloud provided 15 seconds of relief was priceless.

  2. #41
    BamaNation All-American mlh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,283

    Re: Offical Post-Game Thread Bama vs. New Mexico State

    Quote Originally Posted by bamacpa View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but we had starters in this game awfully late it seems.
    Not just you. I thought the same thing. If we're up by 35 over NMSU, we should be thumbing through the program to figure out who's on the field for the Tide.

    Playing the backups helps morale, builds depth, gets experience for the backups, makes everyone practice harder if they know they'll get some playing time, and prevents injuries and keeps the starters fresh as the season progresses.

  3. #42
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    12,053

    Re: Offical Post-Game Thread Bama vs. New Mexico State

    Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    Not just you. I thought the same thing. If we're up by 35 over NMSU, we should be thumbing through the program to figure out who's on the field for the Tide.

    Playing the backups helps morale, builds depth, gets experience for the backups, makes everyone practice harder if they know they'll get some playing time, and prevents injuries and keeps the starters fresh as the season progresses.
    I can't be sure, but I thought I noticed the first team OL still in even after MJ came in relief of Tua. If what some are saying is true....that it's not a talent issue but a need for them to have more time to learn to play together then I have no problem with them playing more.

    Concerning the defense, I think that's a little bit of a different story. I saw some people "griping" about giving up 10 points to New Mex. St. but I think the points came after we starting subbing out on defense. We've got to decide what we prefer as fans. A shutout but leaving our best playing in the preserve that or letting the inexperienced play and giving up a few points as they gain experience. In a blowout win like Saturday, I'd take getting the defense out and giving up a few points.

  4. #43
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    63,849

    Re: Offical Post-Game Thread Bama vs. New Mexico State

    Quote Originally Posted by bamacpa View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but we had starters in this game awfully late it seems.
    This was a glorified scrimmage for hire. Moon is right. And, yes, the OL needs more time together...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  5. #44
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    10,909

    Re: Offical Post-Game Thread Bama vs. New Mexico State

    Few things that I noticed from this game:

    Kelian Robinson had 5 carries for 80 yards averaging 16 yards, while Najee Harris had 12 carries for 68 yards averaging 5.7 and Brian Robinson Jr 11 carries for 57 yards averaging 5.2. Part of that is on OL not sustaining their blocks once they get to second level and part of that is on RB reading their holes. I am somewhat concerned with this group, but I think at this point, we will see Robinson moving past Ford for #3 spot and may pass Robinson if they don't improve soon. Najee has to stop trying so hard and let the play come to him naturally.

    We aren't controlling the Possession of Time very well. NMSU had the ball for 32 minutes while Alabama had almost 28 minutes. This simply will not work. Part of that was on players not fully invested in the game in 4th quarter.

    We need to get the ball in Waddle hand more. We've heard a lot about players behind Waddle, Smith, Ruggs and Jeudy, but we gotta get the young receivers some reps.

    Given what we've seen the last two weeks, We will probably won't open up playbooks until LSU game.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

  6. #45
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,058

    Re: Offical Post-Game Thread Bama vs. New Mexico State

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    This was a glorified scrimmage for hire. Moon is right. And, yes, the OL needs more time together...
    I was really surprised as I walked back to my car to hear that Jeudy scored the TD that put us up 52-7. We need to build some depth to replace him and an injury to an irreplaceable player when ahead 38 would be hard to understand.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #46
    FB Moderator Bamabuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Posts
    24,290

    Re: Offical Post-Game Thread Bama vs. New Mexico State

    Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Few things that I noticed from this game:

    Kelian Robinson had 5 carries for 80 yards averaging 16 yards, while Najee Harris had 12 carries for 68 yards averaging 5.7 and Brian Robinson Jr 11 carries for 57 yards averaging 5.2. Part of that is on OL not sustaining their blocks once they get to second level and part of that is on RB reading their holes. I am somewhat concerned with this group, but I think at this point, we will see Robinson moving past Ford for #3 spot and may pass Robinson if they don't improve soon. Najee has to stop trying so hard and let the play come to him naturally.

    We aren't controlling the Possession of Time very well. NMSU had the ball for 32 minutes while Alabama had almost 28 minutes. This simply will not work. Part of that was on players not fully invested in the game in 4th quarter.

    We need to get the ball in Waddle hand more. We've heard a lot about players behind Waddle, Smith, Ruggs and Jeudy, but we gotta get the young receivers some reps.

    Given what we've seen the last two weeks, We will probably won't open up playbooks until LSU game.
    Najee's running style isn't conducive to how this oline is currently blocking. Najee's style seems to be for him to be patient and wait for the hole to open then hit it. Where as K Robinson's seems to be "one cut" and get to north and south as quick as possible even if it means the hole hasn't fully developed as open or opened up at all. The holes the Oline are currently opening aren't staying open long. So hitting them at the right time and getting to and through them quick, are paramount. Until the OL gets better I expect Harris to continue struggle to reach what we know he can do.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; September 9th, 2019 at 10:16 AM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

    "It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

    "If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

  8. #47
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Inverness, AL
    Posts
    8,809

    Re: Offical Post-Game Thread Bama vs. New Mexico State

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    This was a glorified scrimmage for hire. Moon is right. And, yes, the OL needs more time together...
    Agreed and getting Mac some reps with the 1's was part of it also IMO.

  9. #48
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,241

    Re: Offical Post-Game Thread Bama vs. New Mexico State

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Najee's running style isn't conducive to how this oline is currently blocking. Najee's style seems to be for him to be patient and wait for the hole to open then hit it. Where as K Robinson's seems to be "one cut" and get to north and south as quick as possible even if it means the hole hasn't fully developed as open or opened up at all. The holes the Oline are currently opening aren't staying open long. So hitting them at the right time and getting to and through them quick, are paramount. Until the OL gets better I expect Harris to continue struggle to reach what we know he can do.
    I agree but I think some of Najee's patients is really indecisiveness.

  10. #49
    FB Moderator Bamabuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Posts
    24,290

    Re: Offical Post-Game Thread Bama vs. New Mexico State

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I agree but I think some of Najee's patients is really indecisiveness.
    I'm sure it is considering there's no hole to run through or the hole he sees immediately closes before he can hit it. In the two games we've played I can't remember seeing more than a handful of times where I actually saw a defined running lane in between the tackles for our backs to run through. That's not good.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

    "It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

    "If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

  11. #50
    BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Birmingham & Atlanta
    Posts
    18,031

    Re: Offical Post-Game Thread Bama vs. New Mexico State

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I'm sure it is considering there's no hole to run through or the hole he sees immediately closes before he can hit it. In the two games we've played I can't remember seeing more than a handful of times where I actually saw a defined running lane in between the tackles for our backs to run through. That's not good.
    I'm hoping that situation will improve when Deonte Brown returns from suspension; last year the running game didn't really start clicking until he became a starter.
    This is the darkest timeline.

  12. #51
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    12,053

    Re: Offical Post-Game Thread Bama vs. New Mexico State

    There was one time when Najee dove into a pile when he should have made a simple cut to the left and he would have probably scored because there was nothing but green there. I don't know how he missed it unless the play was designed to run over the guard spot and he got so fixated on waiting for the hole to open he was unwilling to bounce it outside.

  13. #52
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    10,909

    Re: Offical Post-Game Thread Bama vs. New Mexico State

    Here's thing to keep it in perspective.
    I know we two games into the season and it is moot point to compare to last year stats, but It does give us rough idea of what we are looking at.

    First 2 games for 2018:
    Louisville 48 attempts for 222 yards averaging 5.29 yards with 3 TDs.
    Arkansas St. 44 attempts for 278 yards averaging 6.32 with 1 TDs.

    First 2 games for 2019:
    Duke 42 attempts for 145 yards averaging 3.45 yards with 2 TDs
    New Mexico 32 attempts for 318 yards averaging 9.94 yards with 4 TDs.

    37 yards less than last year, and we scored more 2 more from last year. We will be okay.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear