Poll: Which Program will hire a new coach after 2 years worth of Buyer's remorse? - Page 4

View Poll Results: Who is the most likely to get canned after Year 2?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pruitt

27 33.33%
  • Taggart

50 61.73%
  • Kelly

3 3.70%
  • Frost

1 1.23%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Re: Which Program will hire a new coach after 2 years worth of Buyer's remorse?

This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation Second Team

Taggart is a goner. If they do anything less than 4-2 in the first half of this season, I could see him gone. Nebraska will give Frost more time than we might expect, but he deserves that, for his skills. Pruitt makes it through the year unless they go winless in conference, and or winless overall, which I don't see. UCLA just doesn't have the drive to hire a football and basketball coach in the same year.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    Couldn't happen soon enough - actually, it could. Then it would be:

PHILLIP FULMER
    THAT'S PHILLIP WITH
    TWELVE - SORRY, WITH THIRTEEN L'S...

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    CJP better watch his back.
    This is exactly why most everyone didn't like the idea of him going to UT. Yes, some didn't like him going to Tennessee because of the rivalry, but most realized what was possible with Fulmer as AD.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    This is exactly why most everyone didn't like the idea of him going to UT. Yes, some didn't like him going to Tennessee because of the rivalry, but most realized what was possible with Fulmer as AD.
    Yep. It's stunning to me, though it shouldn't be, that this could happen again. If he would do it to a Tennessee legend, Johnny Majors, he would certainly do it to Pruitt. In his mind, he probably thinks he is the only one who could get Tennessee back to prominence.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I think he is more like Bobby Cox than Barry Alvarez in terms of downward movements in an organization. Granted i liked Bobby Cox finding a way back as the man, but everyone knew he was looking for the first chance to fire Russ Nixon to get his job back. I just doubt Fulmer would take the Alvarez temporary route in doing it.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    It is really difficult to do well at Tennessee, and it's not a place for someone to start their head coaching career. They need a Nick Saban or an Urban Meyer, but would such a coach come there? Is Tennessee even seen as a top tier opportunity anymore? The recruiting disadvantages there are very real. They either need an elite, established head coach, or they need Georgia, Alabama, and Clemson to implode. You could drop 1998 Fulmer into Knoxville, and he ain't winning championships there with Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson churning out top 5 teams every year.
    this really is the key issue for UT. Pruitt would be fine as a head, but with the recruiting being dominated by Kirby and Dabo and Nick, and you could even throw Muschamp and Mullin in there, it's crowded. UT won't get back to prominence until one or more of those programs goes into the doghouse. Watch those Knoxvegas Devils: they will snoop the NCAA like they did back at the turn of the century.

Edit to add: I could see Fulmer railroading Pruitt NEXT season, with this whole year to try and get a Tommy Tuberville to come there, out of retirement. I'm sure he's talked to Peyton Manning about it, as well, even though it's waaaayy out in left field to hire him.
    Last edited by jashleyren2; September 9th, 2019 at 10:59 AM.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide_21 View Post
    I do wonder if Fulmer had this in mind all along. Pruitt will be a great head coach someday, but I think he's in way over his head at Tennessee. Too many factors working against him. Fulmer hired a guy they could can quickly if need be and then he takes over as interim. They win a couple of games and he's back on the sideline for the Vols. I know it's a stretch but I would put it past him.
    I posted this scenario in a different thread a few days ago. I think this has been Phat's plan all along.

BamaNation All-SEC

If you think about it, just beating All Bran again would probably be enough to save Pruitt's job. Unfortunately, the Cow Patties don't show up on UcheaT's schedule again 'til 2025 - about six years back to the day, if you're soothsaying, that Pruitt got the sack in Toxville.

BamaNation All-American Mystical's Avatar

Pruitt did right by Alabama when he left here. The Tn. folks probably think he should have focused more on them.
    WHERE EVER YOU GO, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU

BamaNation All-SEC

I think you could easily have two gone this year. Most likely is Taggart, but Pruitt's seat can't be much cooler. I think both probably go, but Taggart goes first.

Do they care enough about football at UCLA to even know who the head coach is. Kelly probably gets another year, and Frost is Nebraska blood. They give him a chance to fix things.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Pruitt and Taggert for sure. Not sure to what extent UCLA and Nebraska really care anymore.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation Second Team

Taggert's mess is actually Jimbo's mess.

Personally, I believe Texas A&M will regret the day they jumped into bed with that character.

I think Taggert gets a pass for a couple more seasons.