Question: Who are your "Top 6" after Week 2?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I would just like to know for those of you who wouldn't rank Alabama at least 2nd, or out of the top 4 entirely, because of the OL play, have you watched the other teams as closely to see their flaws?

We've got issues, but this is not a 9-3 team unless critical injuries occur.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
So you guys are picking Bama 3rd, 4th, 5th for fun ? Oh. Didn’t get that.

By all means. Go ahead. Why not have more fun and predict 3 losses. Maybe finish 15th? 20th? That would be a hoot.

:biggrin:

We are all entitled to opinions, sure

My opinion is that anyone saying we aren’t in the top 2 are doing so out of a desire to be dramatic and nothing more.

The best offense we’ve ever had. Ever. And we have people saying we can lose 3? With what some are calling our easiest schedule ever?

Don’t get it.

You can call it sunshine pumping. But if we all got to place a free $10,000 bet on who wins the NC this year, I bet you all would bet on Saban.

No one of any serious reputation is disputing that we are a top 5 team at this point. Is that really eeyorish? I don’t think so. What you are doing is glossing over weaknesses and areas of opportunity to improve that MANY of us see. Be a cheerleader all you want—just identify as that. Many of the rest of us love the program just as much as you and the other cheerleaders on here do but at least try to be somewhat objective. And, again, let’s all remember this is just for fun and what uniquely binds all of us here together is our love for Alabama football.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
1) Clemson, although I could see a misstep along the way. They would still make the playoffs at 12-1
2) Bama, you have a great QB, a dynamic set of receivers, and a pretty good coach (blue font). Until you get dethroned in the SEC, you deserve to be highest ranked
3) Oklahoma, but would love to see UT beat them
4) LSU, if we beat everyone but Bama, we might get in the playoffs. That’s a huge if, the SEC schedule is brutal. The Texas win certainly helps our resume, especially if they win their league
5) Georgia, I agree with the poster who said they look like they have taken a step back
6) OSU for now. I’m not sold on Justin Fields yet

knocking on the door - ND. Ian Book is a solid QB and they have a good D

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Of actually who is the best and would win out?

Bama (yep I think we would beat them on a neutral field right now and yep we have some things to fix but so does Clemson)
Clemson (QB is looking beatable but still very good, their defense is not the same as last year's)
LSU (so far I have to give LSU the node -- Georgia has been slow getting out of the gate)
Georgia
Oklahoma - Ohio St (they haven't separated themselves yet)

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
1) Clemson, although I could see a misstep along the way. They would still make the playoffs at 12-1
2) Bama, you have a great QB, a dynamic set of receivers, and a pretty good coach (blue font). Until you get dethroned in the SEC, you deserve to be highest ranked
3) Oklahoma, but would love to see UT beat them
4) LSU, if we beat everyone but Bama, we might get in the playoffs. That’s a huge if, the SEC schedule is brutal. The Texas win certainly helps our resume, especially if they win their league
5) Georgia, I agree with the poster who said they look like they have taken a step back
6) OSU for now. I’m not sold on Justin Fields yet

knocking on the door - ND. Ian Book is a solid QB and they have a good D
Btw, LSU looked great last night. While watching it, I also remembered why everyone doesn't care much for Texas fans.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I can’t rank them down because we are cherry picking parts of the game while ignoring others. This offense is plenty good enough to beat anyone. .
I'm no Eeyore...matter of fact I struggle with being too optimistic sometimes...but it's almost impossible not to "cherry pick" on the OL because they affect so much of the game.

They are struggling at the point of attack in the running game and they also are struggling with pass blocking. The scary thing with that is against some better teams that pressure will affect Tua's timing and accuracy at best and could get him hurt.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
As of now I rank us #4

Clemson
Georgia
LSU
Alabama
Oklahoma
Ohio State

Until we develop a running game I see three teams I'd put ahead of us.
We have a good passing game, but we are one dimensional without a running game.
I've said it several times... Our OL isn't plowing the road, and our RB aren't crashing thru holes. I loved the hard running we got from big Henry, but so does the NFL.
I loved the speed and shiftiness we got from Jacobs, but so does the NFL.

Without a good rushing game I don't see us getting where I want us to go.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Seeing how I picked Bama #2 behind only Clemson. Idk who you are talking about “you guys picking Bama 3rd, 4th, of 5th and calling for 3 losses” ,but it is definitely isn’t me. At least get your facts right before you lump folks into groups that you desperately want them to be in.
Dude, read the thread. You interjected your opinion about what I typed. You called me out directly. I was responding accordingly. If you picked them second then I obviously wasn’t talking to or about you. But you chose to share your thoughts. I responded to your post.

Facts totally straight.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I'm sticking to my "After Week 2" ranking based on lack of a threat so far at running the ball and not enough pass rush on two weak opponents. After this week if we can push USCe around on the field, it may change!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
He gets mad everytime someone says anything slightly critical about Alabama. The far end of the sunshine brigade is probably worse than the far end of the eeyore brigade because they take things WAY too serious. They pretty much make pick the score threads unfun because if the number you pick is lower or higher than theirs then it’s a “ how dare you” response. Just look at the Clemson pick the score and good lord they were horrible when some were picking a close game. They don’t understand the idea of “just for fun”.
I always thought that discussion boards were a place for people to converse and share their opinions. Some will agree, some will not, but nothing is accomplished by insulting people because their opinion is not the same as your's. Those that are labeled Eeyores take the brunt of those who believe Alabama cannot lose, or that Alabama cannot win by an astronomical score. I consider myself and some others as "realists", meaning Alabama should win, but every game will not be a walkover like Duke and NMSU. Finally, IMO, there is no need to get worked up over something so silly as a football game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
1) Clemson - WRs continue to bail out Lawerence, we will see how long that lasts
2) Alabama- We gotta clean up few things before we truly can be dangerous team to play against.
3) LSU- Not buying the hype yet, but for this week they belong here.
4) Oklahoma - Probably should be top 3 team... ask again in few weeks
5) ND- Overrated
6)Ohio State- Not sold on them but could be a top 4 team after this weekend.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Clemson is still the team to beat.
And Alabama is the other team that must lose before being moved. As much of a concern as some say the running game is, I'd say that even using a subpar run game, in it's current form and results, takes pressure off the passing game. Defenses must account for it.
Oklahoma is lights out on offense, but competition is still to be decided.
LSU, tested and playing good. They are legit on both sides of the ball. Forget what you saw on defense the other night; Texas is that good on offense.
Georgia is playing great, but hasn't been tested, and more will be known once they have played someone capable of being on the field with them.
Ohio State is who they are. They could lose, but it won't be to Michigan. Maryland is the threat in the Big 10.

Notre Dame gets no recourse from me. They have proven they can play within the weak part of the ACC year after year, and beat an occasional Big 10 team, but can't play with anyone at the top of the CFP pyramid. Not even competitive. So, I don't rank them in the top 10 really. Auburn is better and would beat them. Florida would beat them. Texas would be beat them, and even Texas A&M would do the same. A 5th best team in the SEC would beat them.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma
5. LSU
6. Ohio State

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
Excellent post IMO...i had similar thoughts but you put it in words better than i could have!

1) Clemson - They HAVE to be here unless they lose or play just a terrible game(s) and barely escape

2) Alabama - Very fluid. I'm concerned about the OL and if they don't get better this spot will change.

3) L8U - On preseason based paper they have the best/most impressive win. Their Offense looks vastly improved

4) Ohio State - I've watched them and Fields has seamlessly filled the role of his QB predecessors running tOSU offense.

5) Oklahoma - If their Defense wasn't still a burning dumpster I'd rank them #3. Jalen, the RB's, and WR's are clicking.

6) Georgia - Jmho but I don't think they are as good as last year or the year before. Still they are VERY Talented.

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
i agree that our run game needs to improve, but a short passing game (which our is great) is very similar to a good run game except that it does not eat up the clock...our pass rush does need to improve and is it possible that we have not shown all of our Defensive looks yet because of the competition we've played...?

I'm sticking to my "After Week 2" ranking based on lack of a threat so far at running the ball and not enough pass rush on two weak opponents. After this week if we can push USCe around on the field, it may change!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
i agree that our run game needs to improve, but a short passing game (which our is great) is very similar to a good run game except that it does not eat up the clock...our pass rush does need to improve and is it possible that we have not shown all of our Defensive looks yet because of the competition we've played...?
It eats up the clock when your QB is 80% or better on completion percentages.... ;)

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
I am starting to think that the WR's bailing out Lawerence is the norm not luck...they have done it for 17 games now...13 of them being starts for TLaw. I do think overall we have the best WR group in the nation but their receivers are not better than ours...there's are DIFFERENT! They are physical monsters...all 6'4" or 6'5"...huge, strong, great leapers, long arms and fast (not elite speed) and so strong...i do have some inside intel with clemson because of 30 year relationships in college football and i've been told this is just what they do and it has and i think will continue to work...

1) Clemson - WRs continue to bail out Lawerence, we will see how long that lasts
2) Alabama- We gotta clean up few things before we truly can be dangerous team to play against.
3) LSU- Not buying the hype yet, but for this week they belong here.
4) Oklahoma - Probably should be top 3 team... ask again in few weeks
5) ND- Overrated
6)Ohio State- Not sold on them but could be a top 4 team after this weekend.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Your honor...relevance? That's a great write up on your thoughts about Clemson's WR group...Top 6?... or just waxing poetic?
I am starting to think that the WR's bailing out Lawerence is the norm not luck...they have done it for 17 games now...13 of them being starts for TLaw. I do think overall we have the best WR group in the nation but their receivers are not better than ours...there's are DIFFERENT! They are physical monsters...all 6'4" or 6'5"...huge, strong, great leapers, long arms and fast (not elite speed) and so strong...i do have some inside intel with clemson because of 30 year relationships in college football and i've been told this is just what they do and it has and i think will continue to work...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The top 6 teams should be pretty unanimous (you can argue over order) and they're probably the 6 teams with a realistic shot at the playoffs.

Alabama
Clemson
LSU
Georgia
Oklahoma
Ohio State

Folks, there may be a realistic shot at 3 SEC teams in the playoffs...

Edit: I guess I forgot about Notre Dame but if/when they lose to Georgia in a few weeks it'll be over for them.

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
I'll play along. Who knows. The only teams that have played anyone to date are Clemson and LSU. If I was just going on who looked the best against the potentially best competition, I would say LSU is number 1. For now I would rate:

1. Clemson (until someone beats them)
2. Alabama (i think having the worst group of running backs since Saban has been here will eventually lead to an "L")
3. LSU (they maybe finally have an offense)
4. Georgia (might end up being the best team)
5. Ohio State (should have cakewalk through Big Ten since Michigan stinks)
6. Oklahoma

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.