Interesting thought re: DB play/technique, WRs, & practice...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I know many get upset or, at least, concerned with our DB play - at times - in games where a player will seem to be in a position to make a play but doesn't look for the ball or just doesn't make the play.

And many often question our practice techniques/methods regarding teaching our DBs to look for the ball.

The stock answer - a technical explanation - is that we teach our DBs to look for the ball but only when they're in-phase (in the proper position to attempt to make a play on the ball while still being able to recover and play the man).

However, this doesn't really explain - on the surface - why our DBs often fail to look for the ball when they appear to be in-phase.

Watching yesterday's replay, Matt Stinchcomb relayed a conversation he had with one of our DBs that may have inadvertently shed some light on this issue...

When "speaking to our DBs to get their opinion on what might be the best WR corps in the country," one of them mentioned that in practice they (the DBs) are pretty much always in recovery mode and when they get in a game and are in-phase with a receiver they have to remind themselves that they can look for the ball.

Could it be that our WRs are too good and that is, indirectly, why our DBs have a tendency to not look for the ball - because they're rarely in a position in practice to actually practice it?

Are they so not-used-to being in-phase that they don't trust that they really are when they are often in-phase in a game?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Re: Interesting thought re: DB play/technique, WRs, & practice...

I know many get upset or, at least, concerned with our DB play - at times - in games where a player will seem to be in a position to make a play but doesn't look for the ball or just doesn't make the play.

And many often question our practice techniques/methods regarding teaching our DBs to look for the ball.

The stock answer - a technical explanation - is that we teach our DBs to look for the ball but only when they're in-phase (in the proper position to attempt to make a play on the ball while still being able to recover and play the man).

However, this doesn't really explain - on the surface - why our DBs often fail to look for the ball when they appear to be in-phase.

Watching yesterday's replay, Matt Stinchcomb relayed a conversation he had with one of our DBs that may have inadvertently shed some light on this issue...

When "speaking to our DBs to get their opinion on what might be the best WR corps in the country," one of them mentioned that in practice they (the DBs) are pretty much always in recovery mode and when they get in a game and are in-phase with a receiver they have to remind themselves that they can look for the ball.

Could it be that our WRs are too good and that is, indirectly, why our DBs have a tendency to not look for the ball - because they're rarely in a position in practice to actually practice it?

Are they so not-used-to being in-phase that they don't trust that they really are when they are often in-phase in a game?

Well, it makes sense to me. If you are constantly getting juked in practice by Jeudy, Waddle, Ruggs etc, and are always playing catch-up, maybe they don't realize when they are right where they are supposed to be. A&M did a great job yesterday of looking like they were in position, but had no idea where the ball was.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

Odd, I posted this from my phone and didn't intentionally select any prefix, much less "News Article."

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Saban believes in In phase/Out phase philosophy

https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-alabama/article34382223.html

It does work for the most part. Diggs and other CBs are good at finding the ball. I"m truly happy with our Secondary play and we will continue to get better.
I wish I could hand this out to everybody sitting near me in BDS. They're forever bellowing about looking for the ball, and have no clue as to what they're talking about. They don't even know enough to know where the gaps in their knowledge are, and it's highly irritating.

Question for the current and former HS coaches on the board: Do they teach the in-phase / out-of-phase technique in HS? Reason I ask is that there's no way any of my neighbors played college ball, let alone for Saban, and I'm wondering if they may be echoing what they or their friends were taught decades ago in HS ball.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I wish I could hand this out to everybody sitting near me in BDS. They're forever bellowing about looking for the ball, and have no clue as to what they're talking about. They don't even know enough to know where the gaps in their knowledge are, and it's highly irritating.
I used to be one of those people who was screaming " Look for the ball!" until one day I took the time to read the article on In phase/ Out phase and it made completely sense to me. So now, I can tell when they are in Phase and when they are out of phase.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Well, it makes sense to me. If you are constantly getting juked in practice by Jeudy, Waddle, Ruggs etc, and are always playing catch-up, maybe they don't realize when they are right where they are supposed to be. A&M did a great job yesterday of looking like they were in position, but had no idea where the ball was.
It does make some sense, but in the limited media access to practice, we've seen DBs going thru the process of staying in phase as they are going about half speed in the early stages of practice.

The only way to learn something new or different is to practice it going slow, which is kinda what these drills enforce.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

That explanation would hold if we had had that many receivers who are that much better than our DBs for Coach Saban's entire tenure. We have not. Julio is probably the most physically gifted WR our campus has ever seen and I can see how it would be impossible to stay with Amari Cooper....but we haven't had 4-6 guys all at the same time to be this good as they are now.

Our DBs have been doing this for almost 15 years. So, with regards to that explanation something in the shake ain't milk.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

nah. we've had average WR groups before (outside of 1 most times) yet still had the same defensive positioning.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.