How good is LSU? - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: How good is LSU?

I am impressed with LSU. They did very well against a strong team, in Austin. The passing game obviously looked excellent, and their running is good or perhaps very good - maybe better than what we have showed so far. Strong defense, although they will have concerns about defending the pass against Tua and the 4 horsemen.

Yes I'm impressed, it does our strength of schedule no harm at all for LSU to soundly beat a team that is probably going to split their 2 games with Oklahoma. I would have to put LSU a firm 2 in SECW and 2 or maybe 1 in SECE, we'll see.

BamaNation All-American sanjosecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    They are improved, but I need to see them against a defense and not air.

exactly. btw, loss in the fray, Texas replaced 8 new starters on their defense. of course, that important tidbit was overlooked by the talking heads who were foaming at the mouth regarding lsu. Herbie mentioned that the Texas secondary were very young just in case anyone was listening during the game.

BamaNation All-American sanjosecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Folks buying the LSU hype. We won't know how good they are until they play Florida, auburn and Alabama.

Remember the hype when they beat Miami and then Georgia ??? the were ranked # 3 when Bama beat them down in red stick last year.
    what's new other than the fact they are ranked higher at this point of the season than last year. unless their front 7 and overhyped secondary improves, I am not fretting over their new " offense".
    Last edited by sanjosecrimson; September 9th, 2019 at 11:34 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

So, someone puts mustard on a corndog....and all of a sudden everyone gets excited....

It's still just a corndog....
    Last edited by CajunCrimson; September 9th, 2019 at 11:47 AM.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

My opinion: The LSU that I saw against Texas really impressed me. I liked their energy. Right now they are definitely better than anyone not named Alabama in the West.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

I'm an avid subscriber of the Parcells line of thinking: " You are what your record says you are."

They, like many other teams in the country right now, are undefeated. That list will shrink as the season progresses. Where they end up when the season is over will ultimately answer the original question of this thread.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

Frankly, I think they are better and glad to have them in T-Town this year. We will see but opening up the offense is exactly what the doctor ordered at corndog U.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    Frankly, I think they are better and glad to have them in T-Town this year. We will see but opening up the offense is exactly what the doctor ordered at corndog U.
    Until proven otherwise. I still think Burrow is a game manager that is currently benefiting from a new offensive scheme that no one has film on just yet. But as time plays out, defenses will adjust and he will be who everybody thought he was in the first place. The guy is tough as nails, not going to lose games for you and I respect the heck out of the type player he is.

However, I'm not ready to put him into the "Elite passer" category as of yet. His first two games have been against Ga Southern and a Texas team with not only a "Big 12 defense". But with true freshman CB's and an idiot DC who refused to get out of man coverage even though his CB's were getting severely beat off the LOS all night long. Burrow made some nice passes during that game, don't get me wrong. But also benefited from a lot of things that had nothing to do with his passing talent that he will not once he gets into SEC defenses and those SEC defenses have more film on their new toy.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I'm going to reply before I read the thread so I won't be "influenced" in my original thinking...so here goes.

Sure, LSU looked like world beaters against UT. I too agree UT is much improved so I guess the level of competence they showed against good competition matters.

But here's my hot take from this game: Can LSU ignore the praise of the press and can they stay focused thru the grind of their SECw schedule?

All it takes is one game for you to get beat by a mid-level team in the SEC, plus they still have to get up for the big games, but not get up too much?

To give credit, they are on the right track, but are they ready to do something they haven't done in years and do they have a HC that can get them there? I kinda doubt it.

BamaNation All-SEC

Coach O wanted offense so he went and stole one of the Saints offensive gurus. They put in basically an all shotgun offense which is what is considered the best for, and favorite of, Joe Burrow. Joe can be really good when he can get the ball out quickly. I'm not sure on LSU yet. The offense looks 100% better, but it was against the BIG 12. That second half looked like a true BIG 12 conference game. LSU's defense was definitely not what I expected, giving up a ton of yards and points. Thought they would play much better on that side. LSU doesn't have a real game until Florida on October 12. I will reserve judgement until then, but they do look like they will give us a game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I will have to see how they play against the Boogs before I can give an answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by FaninLA View Post
    I definitely think their offense has finally emerged from the Stone Age. But, that was a B12 defense. Let’s see how they perform against the Barn.
    From what I've seen of Auburn (watched most of both games), I don't think Auburn has a chance against LSU. Not that LSU is unbeatable, but Auburn's offense can't play catch up to anybody right now.

BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar

Let's see how they look against Auburn.

LSU has more players that returned as starters than any other SEC team. I'm positive they are for real. I was impressed with UT's Oline even if they held some. I'm glad they won.
    If Texas A&M had Joe Burrow they may have beaten Clemson. Still early.

Bama just needs to get it's running game in gear, and we'll be fine.

BamaNation All-American

I think LSU might be better than some of you want them to be. But, I'd also be happy to be wrong on this one.