How good is LSU? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Re: How good is LSU?

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I think LSU might be better than some of you want them to be. But, I'd also be happy to be wrong on this one.
    I think people are over-valuing LSU for two reasons:

1. Burrow's completion percentage
    2. Texas's pre-season Ranking

Both of which are likely going to fall as the season progresses.....

Texas beat LaTech -- who then struggled vs Grambling.....(winning by only 6). LaTech's QB actually had better passing numbers VS UT.....

So -- I think the jury is still out for Texas.....

I think LSU has a gumbo sized head full of confidence at the moment....

But LSU started off 2-0 last year
    And 2-0 the year before that

so.....I'm not jumping on the bandwagon yet.....
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post

Texas beat LaTech -- who then struggled vs Grambling.....(winning by only 6). LaTech's QB actually had better passing numbers VS UT.....

The difference is their ability to pass the ball this year.

Ironically, it may come at the expense of a decent ground game (sound familiar?) and a dominant, rested defense (sound familiar).

I was busy refereeing all day Saturday and didn't get home until around 8:30. Listened to the game on the drive home, but two things stood out to me about Texas's defense...

1.#3 may need to seek counseling for the abuse he received. And
    2. 3rd & 17 and UT's DC sends the house....instead of protecting the sticks, he sends the house. It's picked up nicely. Short completion. Missed tackle. Long TD run after catch.

That was when I turned off my TV. Showed me all I needed to see with Texas's defense. I agree with you
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    I was busy refereeing all day Saturday and didn't get home until around 8:30. Listened to the game on the drive home, but two things stood out to me about Texas's defense...

2. 3rd & 17 and UT's DC sends the house....instead of protecting the sticks, he sends the house. It's picked up nicely. Short completion. Missed tackle. Long TD run after catch.

That was when I turned off my TV. Showed me all I needed to see with Texas's defense. I agree with you
    For those who were able to sit in front of the tv for the entire game. Herbie, dang near the entire game, kept pointing out that Texas was choosing to put their "young corners on an island" with no safety help over the top. If he said once, he said at a hundred times in disbelief throughout the game. Several times the ABC broadcast would show replays of the LSU WR's literally running completely past Texas' corners at the snap. LOL!
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American sanjosecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    For those who were able to sit in front of the tv for the entire game. Herbie, dang near the entire game, kept pointing out that Texas was choosing to put their "young corners on an island" with no safety help over the top. If he said once, he said at a hundred times in disbelief throughout the game. Several times the ABC broadcast would show replays of the LSU WR's literally running completely past Texas' corners at the snap. LOL!
    Yeah I mentioned about Herbie repeatedly saying how young the Texas secondary were throughout the game. I never seen so many wide open WRs in a game than the one we witnessed last Saturday night.

BamaNation All-American sanjosecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post

Orlando and Herman play calling are a match made in heaven.

BamaNation All-American

Sure but lets ignore Texas for a second. Burrow looked much more accurate than he was last year(regardless of opponent) and I'm talking about his ball location as well not just completion percentage. Burrow to end the half? It was pretty impressive and not something I would have expected him to pull off last season.

At times last year he'd make a throw here or there but Saturday night he was MUCH more consistent throw to throw IMO.

I'm not saying they're on our or Clemson's level (they aren't) but they are more of a threat than they've been in years IMO. I still think we beat them by 10+.
    Last edited by RollTide_HTTR; September 9th, 2019 at 02:24 PM.

In 2018 Texas gave up 300 yards passing 6 times.

In 2018 Texas gave up 300 yards passing and 3 TDs passing 5 times.

Texas isn't a good defensive team.

They were ranked in the 70s nationally in both passer rating and completion percentage and were 110th in yards per game.

Not a good defense. Take LSU's passing game with a grain of salt.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Sure but lets ignore Texas for a second. Burrow looked much more accurate than he was last year(regardless of opponent) and I'm talking about his ball location as well not just completion percentage. Burrow to end the half? It was pretty impressive and not something I would have expected him to pull off last season.

At times last year he'd make a throw here or there but Saturday night he was MUCH more consistent throw to throw IMO.

I'm not saying they're on our or Clemson's level (they aren't) but they are more of a threat than they've been in years IMO. I still think we beat them by 10+.
    Accuracy is much higher when the other team doesn't cover your receivers.....just sayin
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation All-American

Accuracy is much higher when the other team doesn't cover your receivers.....just sayin
    Yea but if you watch his throws that wasn't always the case. He threw some really nice balls into some small windows.

And ball placement is a sign of accuracy even when WRs are uncovered. Which is why a lot of people were high on Tua before he ever played a competitive snap.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

LSU has plenty of great players that will be in the NFL one day. Burrow IMO isn’t a first or second round draft pick but he is capable of having a “Stephen Garcia” type game against Alabama.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

LSU will most likely be undefeated going into BDS, but until they play and beat Florida and Auburn mostly because of Joe Burrow’s arm , I still think Alabama beats them by 14-21 points. I don’t think Oeaux will be gutsy enough to call those aggressive plays against our DBs with how explosive our offense is.

So at the present I would be more fearful of USCe pulling out a crazy game because they and their coach have nothing to lose at home with a quarterback that only has 1 game of film ( Bama beats them). Point is everytime Oeaux has played Bama (05,06,07,16,17,and 18) he always plays hyper conservative. With a national championship and a trip to Atlanta on the line in Tuscaloosa, you can bet your butt that he isn’t going to make Joe Burrow beat us with 50/50 balls like he did against Texas.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; September 9th, 2019 at 03:01 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

It appears Burrows has improved his ability to throw the ball and he looks pretty confident in the system they are running.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I didn't like what he was doing at the end of the game when he was sarcastically waving up into the stands at the Texas fans. If I'm a coach and caught my team leader and my QB doing that I would have ripped him a new one.

He had just had the best performance of his life and instead of taking pride in that and celebrating with his teammates, he's gesturing to the opponent's crowd like an immature 6th grader. It seriously makes me question where his head is.