How good is LSU? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: How good is LSU?

Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    I must say, I'm very surprised to see what's going on at LSU. The revamped offense has Burrow looking like a Heisman candidate. I think Texas is a decent team and it was a close game, even with LSU putting 45 points on the board. They should cruise through the next few games. So it's hard to get a handle on how good they might be.

Just for fun, here are some stats from week 2:

Tua
    16-24, 227 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT

Jalen
    14-18, 259 yards, 3 TD, O INT

Lawrence
    24-35, 268 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Burrow
    31-39, 471 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT

Our game with LSU will likely determine who wins the SECW. That's looking to be a great matchup.
    I just watched a little of a LSU/Texas post game review by non-LSU and non-Texas guys. They seemed to think the heat played a role especially because neither team seems to have good depth in their front 7 and LSU was forced to use a couple of players for pass rushing that aren't top line you might say.

Texas blitzed a lot but it left them vulnerable and LSU's running game looked anemic for anybody much less for LSU. I think this game will be an outlier for both teams but I don't think LSU is enough better to beat us in Bryant-Denny, (not that it can't happen).

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    The difference is their ability to pass the ball this year.

Ironically, it may come at the expense of a decent ground game (sound familiar?) and a dominant, rested defense (sound familiar).
    Yes, it seems that the SEC is leaning towards the Big 12 style of play. We'll see how it turns out when all is said and done.
    Last edited by teamplayer; September 9th, 2019 at 05:51 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

If Texas doesn’t botch the first two drives where they should have had TDS, they likely win a nail biter.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation First Team Tides_of_Change's Avatar

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...ign=user-share

According to the Advocate, UT had no working A/C in LSU's locker room. With field temps in triple digits, that's not just bad sportsmanship, that's a careless lack of decency. They better get their stuff straight by the time we go out there in a few years. Not that Texas has ever been high in my eyes, but that's awful.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tides_of_Change; September 9th, 2019 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    Yes, it seems that the SEC is leaning towards the Big 12 style of play. We'll see how it turns out when all is said and done.

It’s not just the SEC, The ACC, Pac12, B1G, and even The NFL has Big12 type elements. It was easy to adopt that style of play with rules changes for more offense to put butts in the seats, and safety rules changes that has taken some of the physicality out of the game.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Very good, in fact good enough potentially to get to the playoff. Why? Play at the qb position. LSU has always had the talent to beat us, where they’ve fallen short is at the qb position. They now have that piece. Right now, Joe Burrow would be no. 2 on my list behind Jalen Hurts in the heisman race.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; September 9th, 2019 at 08:48 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tides_of_Change View Post
    https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...ign=user-share

According to the Advocate, UT disabled the A/C in LSU's locker room. With field temps in triple digits, that's not just bad sportsmanship, that's a careless lack of decency. They better get their stuff straight by the time we go out there in a few years. Not that Texas has ever been high in my eyes, but that's awful.

First, I didn't see one thing in the article that claimed Texas "disabled" the AC in the locker room. Secondly, if La Tech didn't have AC in week one you'd think somebody would have said something publicly about it.

And how did Oregon know to even call La Tech if they had said nothing about it???

Something doesn't add up here and I'm not sure I'm buying it.

BamaNation First Team Tides_of_Change's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    First, I didn't see one thing in the article that claimed Texas "disabled" the AC in the locker room. Secondly, if La Tech didn't have AC in week one you'd think somebody would have said something publicly about it.

And how did Oregon know to even call La Tech if they had said nothing about it???

Something doesn't add up here and I'm not sure I'm buying it.
    Fair enough on the disabling part, but it's not likely that's something anyone would make up in the wake of a win, maybe as an excuse for a loss... However, Texas probably has gold-plated toilet paper dispensers in parts of their stadium. Does anyone think they wouldn't be on top of any locker room issues before the season? Or really anything that would impact players of any team?

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tides_of_Change View Post
    Fair enough on the disabling part, but it's not likely that's something anyone would make up in the wake of a win, maybe as an excuse for a loss... However, Texas probably has gold-plated toilet paper dispensers in parts of their stadium. Does anyone think they wouldn't be on top of any locker room issues before the season? Or really anything that would impact players of any team?

I've been in one of their areas like our "zones" - yes, swanky nice.

If the AC was not working at all La Tech could not have stayed in there during half time. It's been around 100 most days this month here.

FWIW...don't take this as me doubting you, but there's just something "off" to me about this story.

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Very good, in fact good enough potentially to get to the playoff. Why? Play at the qb position. LSU has always had the talent to beat us, where they’ve fallen short is at the qb position. They now have that piece. Right now, Joe Burrow would be no. 2 on my list behind Jalen Hurts in the heisman race.
    Apparently you and I watched two different games...
    Last edited by TIDE-HSV; September 10th, 2019 at 02:36 PM.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    I hear Danny Sheridan give a line of Alabama -12 if the LSU game was played tomorrow. But this is all fun and games at this point...pure speculation. The Corndogs will not lose over the next month but then they have Florida at home, at MSU and Auburn at home. They can easily lose two of those games the way I see it.
    They should beat both Florida in Baton Rouge and MSU on the road. I said in another thread I am holding my opinion on LSU until they play the Boogs in Death Valley. I was not impressed with LSU's running game against Texas, but Burrow lit up the Horns secondary. Burrow is a very good runner and his passing, so far, is light years ahead of last year. He appears to be a better version of Jake Fromm so far, time will tell. I believe the key to beating LSU will be for an improved running game to control the game tempo, this will put pressure on Burrow to try and score quickly. Simply put, the team that wins the lines of scrimmage will win the game.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation First Team LSUgrad2BamaDad's Avatar

I believe this is our best team since 2011. I believe we are better on defense than what we showed in the second half. Yes, texas’s RB dropped a wide open TD, but we stopped them on several plays inside the red zone before we got gassed. Their first TD was unfortunately a bad read by an experienced DB playing on an injured ankle. Anyway, give Texas credit, they played hard, gashed us on a 19 play drive, and has us on the ropes. We were just a little better.

LSU needs to learn how to add balance, but until then we couldn’t afford to run the ball against Texas. It was a sprint and we needed to keep separation. We have highly touted but inexperienced freshman RBs. They will get lots of work over the next 3 games.

As for Burrow, he has been a different QB since the Bama game last year in terms of passing efficiency. He is built for this offense. I don’t expect him to keep up this pace, but I can see him throwing for 35 TDS. He is tough as nails and I love his leadership.

Ill give Orgeron credit, he wants to learn from his mistakes. Y’all talk about Fournette and the 2015 game...Les Miles is in Kansas driving those people crazy trying to run into brick walls. Orgeron and company started to open up the offense after the Bama loss last year, realizing he needed to change something up.

I expect we will be competitive in every game and if things fall our way, we could be in the playoffs even with a Bama loss.

Finally, I said it on here last week, Stingley (24) may end up being the best cornerback we will ever have. He is a true freshman and that breakup/near Int he had against their best receiver was a thing a beauty.

I will enjoy this season.
    "(The Campus Catholic Sudent Center) is going to be our legacy, Terry and I's legacy, that we're going to be as proud of as anything we've ever accomplished," -Nick Saban
    " I come in peace" -WSIV70 (my old user name)

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    This site gives me hope about humanity at times. Other times it scares the Hell out of me
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung