How good is LSU?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Look, the guy may very well have turned himself into an elite quarterback worthy of high draft status. I have no idea. I just think two games into the season is a bit early to be making such a declaration.
I've been watching a lot of early season starts now. The remarks in the first few weeks still amuse me... :D

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Look, the guy may very well have turned himself into an elite quarterback worthy of high draft status. I have no idea. I just think two games into the season is a bit early to be making such a declaration.
I tend to fall in line with your way of thinking on this, and want to see it done consistently, and against a real defense. But according to my LSU fans down here, after that Texas game, LSU is the real deal this year, and BAMA better watch out.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm an avid subscriber of the Parcells line of thinking: " You are what your record says you are."

They, like many other teams in the country right now, are undefeated. That list will shrink as the season progresses. Where they end up when the season is over will ultimately answer the original question of this thread.

I'm of the Denny Green school of thinking:

"They ARE who we THOUGHT they were!"

"Now.....if you wanna crown 'em......then crown they........"

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Defenses faced by LSU:
Georgia Southern - Gave p over 300 yards to Troy, Arkansas St and La-Monroe in 2018, 120th ranked pass defense in 2019
Texas - 110th ranked pass defense 2018, 127th ranked pass defense in 2019
Northwestern State - FCS school, gave up over 300 yards and 2 TDs (no INT) to DIV II Midwestern State in a 26 point loss

He hasn't just played pass defenses that are "not elite"; he's played the worst pass defenses in the country.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
this aged well
There were two just plain dropped td's by Northwestern that would have given them two more td's. They moved the ball very well against your defense. Burrow threw one pick that should have been a pick six and almost through another one. The point is, you could tell their coaching staff had done some homework and tried their best with athletes they had to work with. I hope you're not beating your chest about putting up 65 on an FCS team that just didn't have the athletes to do what their scheme was trying to do. But there are teams with the athletes that will watch that film and there's some things they did that teams with athletes will definitely do. Now go enjoy your victory win over Northwestern St of Natchitoches, LA.

Edit: I'll add this as well. No doubt the Northwestern staff found some things that worked both offensively and defensively against LSU. The only problem was they simply didn't have the athletes to execute it all. When the talent difference is that great between two teams, even a good scheme won't work. We've done this to a many of teams ourselves. If it weren't for us "out athleting" them we would have been in trouble. Because they had figured out from a scheme standpoint how to cause us problems. I saw several "kinks" last night that an SEC team WILL exploit. Sit back and watch.

Last edited:

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I get why LSU fans are excited. Heck, I would be too if I were in their shoes. What their team is doing right now has been long awaited, and is exciting to see.

But I keep going back to this thought.....Joe Burrow was a backup to J T Barrett and would have been a backup to Haskins had he stayed at OSU. LSU might very well beat us in November, but how concerned would we be if say, Mac Jones had transferred to LSU instead of Burrow (with all due respect to Mac)?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I get why LSU fans are excited. Heck, I would be too if I were in their shoes. What their team is doing right now has been long awaited, and is exciting to see.

But I keep going back to this thought.....Joe Burrow was a backup to J T Barrett and would have been a backup to Haskins had he stayed at OSU. LSU might very well beat us in November, but how concerned would we be if say, Mac Jones had transferred to LSU instead of Burrow (with all due respect to Mac)?
Of course, we could also interpret that same scenario with Hurts going to OU. He'll probably win the Heisman trophy with them, but he was a back-up at Bama. I am looking forward to seeing LSU play some more big boys.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA

Burrow supposedly outplayed Haskins in the spring of 2018 (BIGTide can elaborate), but Meyer gave the job to Haskins based on potential. Haskins was the 15th overall pick in the draft. Transitive property - Burrow is a better QB than the 15th pick in the draft :biggrin2:

I'm just enjoying a different brand of football. Let the chips fall where they may.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Of course, we could also interpret that same scenario with Hurts going to OU. He'll probably win the Heisman trophy with them, but he was a back-up at Bama. I am looking forward to seeing LSU play some more big boys.
Agree. FWIW, I'd be far more concerned if Jalen was at LSU. No disrespect at all meant to Mac. I'm impressed with his play and development. I'm just trying to calibrate my thoughts about the current hooplah in Red Stick.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Burrow supposedly outplayed Haskins in the spring of 2018 (BIGTide can elaborate), but Meyer gave the job to Haskins based on potential. Haskins was the 15th overall pick in the draft. Transitive property - Burrow is a better QB than the 15th pick in the draft :biggrin2:

I'm just enjoying a different brand of football. Let the chips fall where they may.
Actually, Haskins won the job the previous year when he saved our bacon in the UM game. They were about equal in the spring, but Meyer gave the job to Haskins based on the UM game (live play vs a great defense vs. play in scrimmages).

But, yes, Burrow was the future starter at OSU. He left because he expected Haskins to play 2 seasons. I suspect that he would have stayed if he had known that Haskins would leave after only 1 season. But, to be clear, he is not a back-up QB. He is a tier 1 starter.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
IDK if the Texas game is skewing things but FPI and SP+ both aren't huge fans of LSU's defense.

Ranked 33rd by SP+ and 50th by FPI. Not great. For reference our D is ranked 5th & 4th.

FPI actually ranks Oklahoma's(31st) defense ahead of LSUs. But SP+ has Oklahoma's defense well behind(53rd).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IDK if the Texas game is skewing things but FPI and SP+ both aren't huge fans of LSU's defense.

Ranked 33rd by SP+ and 50th by FPI. Not great. For reference our D is ranked 5th & 4th.

FPI actually ranks Oklahoma's(31st) defense ahead of LSUs. But SP+ has Oklahoma's defense well behind(53rd).
Keep in mind that stats produce those metrics, so I really don't trust them until we are at least 6-7 games into the season.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
How good is LSU, I thought I knew, but their lack of a running game and defensive deficiencies makes me think they may be somewhat overrated. They now have a 2 game season, Auburn and Alabama. I think we will know for sure after auburn visits Baton Rouge.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I’ll admit their D does not seem to be as dominant as in the past, but long have we been saying ‘if LSU ever gets a qb..’? Well, they’ve got one this year. Joe Burrow deserves to be in the heisman discussion. As a team, I think they will beat Auburn but lose to us by two td’s.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.