How good is LSU?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I must say, I'm very surprised to see what's going on at LSU. The revamped offense has Burrow looking like a Heisman candidate. I think Texas is a decent team and it was a close game, even with LSU putting 45 points on the board. They should cruise through the next few games. So it's hard to get a handle on how good they might be.

Just for fun, here are some stats from week 2:

Tua
16-24, 227 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT

Jalen
14-18, 259 yards, 3 TD, O INT

Lawrence
24-35, 268 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Burrow
31-39, 471 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT

Our game with LSU will likely determine who wins the SECW. That's looking to be a great matchup.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
While i agree that LSU looks improved, you can't shake the fact that Texas put 401 passing yards on their secondary. Tua might put 500 on them. And by comparison, i think our defense could hold Burrow to 300 or maybe less. While Burrow is improved, i'd have to think during the week leading up to Bama/LSU, he'll be thinking about getting shut out and pummeled last year, and that could cause some issues in his head.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Tua played about 1/2, Burrow played 4 quarters...Extrapolate...

Tua with 4 quarters: 32/48 454 Yds. 6TDs 0 Ints...I know that's not really fair, but neither are apples and oranges...

I must say, I'm very surprised to see what's going on at LSU. The revamped offense has Burrow looking like a Heisman candidate. I think Texas is a decent team and it was a close game, even with LSU putting 45 points on the board. They should cruise through the next few games. So it's hard to get a handle on how good they might be.

Just for fun, here are some stats from week 2:

Tua
16-24, 227 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT

Jalen
14-18, 259 yards, 3 TD, O INT

Lawrence
24-35, 268 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Burrow
31-39, 471 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT

Our game with LSU will likely determine who wins the SECW. That's looking to be a great matchup.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well here's the thing. At no point in the last 5 or more years have we seen anything like this from them even against 1-AA competition. It's probably been since Mettenberger. Heck maybe even Rohan Davey. So I think their metamorphosis is legit. It remains to be seen how well they will do against a legit secondary and a front 7 that can pressure Burrow.

As for them overcoming us, I'll have to be convinced. We've seen this before, just with the running game, not passing. Fournette was the presumptive Heisman winner, they were undefeated coming into Bryant-Denny, and Derrick Henry and Alabama's defense slapped that down. So we'll see.

FaninLA

2nd Team
Jul 9, 2019
Cantonment, FL
I definitely think their offense has finally emerged from the Stone Age. But, that was a B12 defense. Let’s see how they perform against the Barn.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Looks like they exchanged their defense to get the offense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
They are better but like someone said that was a BIG 12 defense. After that game neither team can claim to be DBU (we all know who that is anyway - RTR!).

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Their offense looks a lot better. The question will be how much better it looks vs teams like us.

I have a feeling LSU scores more than we'd like against us this year but I still don't have a ton of concern about that game. It being at home helps.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Yes, LSU is better on offense, but at what cost. This is the perfect example of a yen and yang relationship between offense and defense. Teams that run hurry up no huddle typically have terrible defenses. LSU is no exception. Their D was absolutely gassed in the 3rd and 4th quarter. You can't continually put your defense back on the field every couple of minutes in real time. They gave up huge yards and points to a QB who in all honesty is not a top tier player. We saw it last year against Clemson. This is why Saban wants to re-establish a strong running game so we can have balance on both sides of the ball.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It's more to do with change of scheme than Burrow vastly improving. The "passing coordinator" that was hired away from the Saints is being given credit for this "new offense". You can tell their passing scheme's are more complex. But we also have to remember, as more film comes available of their new scheme, the more DC's will get to adjust. Do you really think Herman's staff used the Ga Southern tape to prep for their offense? Probably not. One game's film against a lower tier school probably wasn't the first thing put into the "VCR". We saw it last year with Tua as the year progressed on. As more film became available, the harder it was for him to have success through the air.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I am impressed with LSU. They did very well against a strong team, in Austin. The passing game obviously looked excellent, and their running is good or perhaps very good - maybe better than what we have showed so far. Strong defense, although they will have concerns about defending the pass against Tua and the 4 horsemen.

Yes I'm impressed, it does our strength of schedule no harm at all for LSU to soundly beat a team that is probably going to split their 2 games with Oklahoma. I would have to put LSU a firm 2 in SECW and 2 or maybe 1 in SECE, we'll see.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
They are improved, but I need to see them against a defense and not air.

exactly. btw, loss in the fray, Texas replaced 8 new starters on their defense. of course, that important tidbit was overlooked by the talking heads who were foaming at the mouth regarding lsu. Herbie mentioned that the Texas secondary were very young just in case anyone was listening during the game.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Folks buying the LSU hype. We won't know how good they are until they play Florida, auburn and Alabama.

Remember the hype when they beat Miami and then Georgia ??? the were ranked # 3 when Bama beat them down in red stick last year.
what's new other than the fact they are ranked higher at this point of the season than last year. unless their front 7 and overhyped secondary improves, I am not fretting over their new " offense".

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
So, someone puts mustard on a corndog....and all of a sudden everyone gets excited....

It's still just a corndog....

Last edited:

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
My opinion: The LSU that I saw against Texas really impressed me. I liked their energy. Right now they are definitely better than anyone not named Alabama in the West.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm an avid subscriber of the Parcells line of thinking: " You are what your record says you are."

They, like many other teams in the country right now, are undefeated. That list will shrink as the season progresses. Where they end up when the season is over will ultimately answer the original question of this thread.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Frankly, I think they are better and glad to have them in T-Town this year. We will see but opening up the offense is exactly what the doctor ordered at corndog U.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.