How good is LSU?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
LSU will most likely be undefeated going into BDS, but until they play and beat Florida and Auburn mostly because of Joe Burrow’s arm , I still think Alabama beats them by 14-21 points. I don’t think Oeaux will be gutsy enough to call those aggressive plays against our DBs with how explosive our offense is.

So at the present I would be more fearful of USCe pulling out a crazy game because they and their coach have nothing to lose at home with a quarterback that only has 1 game of film ( Bama beats them). Point is everytime Oeaux has played Bama (05,06,07,16,17,and 18) he always plays hyper conservative. With a national championship and a trip to Atlanta on the line in Tuscaloosa, you can bet your butt that he isn’t going to make Joe Burrow beat us with 50/50 balls like he did against Texas.
I hear Danny Sheridan give a line of Alabama -12 if the LSU game was played tomorrow. But this is all fun and games at this point...pure speculation. The Corndogs will not lose over the next month but then they have Florida at home, at MSU and Auburn at home. They can easily lose two of those games the way I see it.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
It appears Burrows has improved his ability to throw the ball and he looks pretty confident in the system they are running.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I didn't like what he was doing at the end of the game when he was sarcastically waving up into the stands at the Texas fans. If I'm a coach and caught my team leader and my QB doing that I would have ripped him a new one.

He had just had the best performance of his life and instead of taking pride in that and celebrating with his teammates, he's gesturing to the opponent's crowd like an immature 6th grader. It seriously makes me question where his head is.
many posters on various football boards cited what you posted above. it was bush league.... act like you been there before, then again I forget he hasn't.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
LSU has plenty of great players that will be in the NFL one day. Burrow IMO isn’t a first or second round draft pick but he is capable of having a “Stephen Garcia” type game against Alabama.
If LSU can’t run vs Alabama then they don’t win. But also if LSU is too committed to the run then they get blown out.

I think too much is made out of Stephen García’s performance and less is made about the key stats that really mattered in that 2010 USCE game. Like the stat that says USCE outgained bama 110-36 ( 110-64 if you take the 7 sacks on Gmac away). García actually had the same number of yards in 2009 that he did against us in 2010 ,the difference is that they ran against us at will. Really no team has ever beaten Alabama without winning the rushing yards with the exception of Clemson.

Point is until LSU can run against us then there is really no real fear of them surviving a shootout against Bama at BDS.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If LSU can’t run vs Alabama then they don’t win. But also if LSU is too committed to the run then they get blown out.

I think too much is made out of Stephen García’s performance and less is made about the key stats that really mattered in that 2010 USCE game. Like the stat that says USCE outgained bama 110-36 ( 110-64 if you take the 7 sacks on Gmac away). García actually had the same number of yards in 2009 that he did against us in 2010 ,the difference is that they ran against us at will. Really no team has ever beaten Alabama without winning the rushing yards with the exception of Clemson.

Point is until LSU can run against us then there is really no real fear of them surviving a shootout against Bama at BDS.
We may look back and realize the Texas game was Burrow's "Stephen Garcia" moment. Outside of the LSU fans, who would honestly say this is what we should expect to see from Burrow each week? No freakin' way. If this is the "new and improved" Burrow Tua may want to stay another year because there's a new number one pick for next years NFL draft.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
many posters on various football boards cited what you posted above. it was bush league.... act like you been there before, then again I forget he hasn't.
I honestly hadn't heard it discussed, but it really was uncalled for and Kirk Herbstreit even called him out about it on the broadcast. First negative thing he said about him all night long. :wink:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Texas didn't have much of a pass rush so Burrow could pick the defense apart. Hopefully by the time we play them we'll have developed a better pass rush and thus the LSU offense won't be as productive. They'll have to play a couple of teams with defenses better than Texas before they play us so by game time we'll know how good they are.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We may look back and realize the Texas game was Burrow's "Stephen Garcia" moment. Outside of the LSU fans, who would honestly say this is what we should expect to see from Burrow each week? No freakin' way. If this is the "new and improved" Burrow Tua may want to stay another year because there's a new number one pick for next years NFL draft.
Jalen Hurts is probably going to account for about 500 yards vs Texas by himself in a few weeks.

I think once Burrow plays against Florida and Auburn then we will have a better feel at where he is at. I’m not saying that either beats LSU, I’m saying before we say he is in Tua or Fromm’s zip codes we probably want to see him against a real defense.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Jalen Hurts is probably going to account for about 500 yards vs Texas by himself in a few weeks.

I think once Burrow plays against Florida and Auburn then we will have a better feel at where he is at. I’m not saying that either beats LSU, I’m saying before we say he is in Tua or Fromm’s zip codes we probably want to see him against a real defense.
I'll give the guy his due, he made some passes that I don't think he would have made last season. So he has improved. But like you, I'm not ready to start moving him up Mel Kiper's big board just yet.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
For those who were able to sit in front of the tv for the entire game. Herbie, dang near the entire game, kept pointing out that Texas was choosing to put their "young corners on an island" with no safety help over the top. If he said once, he said at a hundred times in disbelief throughout the game. Several times the ABC broadcast would show replays of the LSU WR's literally running completely past Texas' corners at the snap. LOL!
Yep ... I thought them calling a blitz when they had them at 3rd and 17 was questionable. All they had to do was stop them and their offense took the field only down by 6. They in turn, watch LSU convert a 3rd and 17 into a game-winning TD.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Yep ... I thought them calling a blitz when they had them at 3rd and 17 was questionable. All they had to do was stop them and their offense took the field only down by 6. They in turn, watch LSU convert a 3rd and 17 into a game-winning TD.
That's a great point you make. If Texas stops them on 3rd and 17, gets the ball back and wins the game suddenly college football fans start saying maybe LSU isn't as good as people thought after being favored and then losing to a Big 12 team. Shows that just one play changes the perception from LSU being just a good team into the notion of Kirk Herbstreit and others saying they have a Top 2 team.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
I must say, I'm very surprised to see what's going on at LSU. The revamped offense has Burrow looking like a Heisman candidate. I think Texas is a decent team and it was a close game, even with LSU putting 45 points on the board. They should cruise through the next few games. So it's hard to get a handle on how good they might be.

Just for fun, here are some stats from week 2:

Tua
16-24, 227 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT

Jalen
14-18, 259 yards, 3 TD, O INT

Lawrence
24-35, 268 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Burrow
31-39, 471 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT

Our game with LSU will likely determine who wins the SECW. That's looking to be a great matchup.
I just watched a little of a LSU/Texas post game review by non-LSU and non-Texas guys. They seemed to think the heat played a role especially because neither team seems to have good depth in their front 7 and LSU was forced to use a couple of players for pass rushing that aren't top line you might say.

Texas blitzed a lot but it left them vulnerable and LSU's running game looked anemic for anybody much less for LSU. I think this game will be an outlier for both teams but I don't think LSU is enough better to beat us in Bryant-Denny, (not that it can't happen).

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The difference is their ability to pass the ball this year.

Ironically, it may come at the expense of a decent ground game (sound familiar?) and a dominant, rested defense (sound familiar).
Yes, it seems that the SEC is leaning towards the Big 12 style of play. We'll see how it turns out when all is said and done.

Last edited:

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_r...l&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

According to the Advocate, UT had no working A/C in LSU's locker room. With field temps in triple digits, that's not just bad sportsmanship, that's a careless lack of decency. They better get their stuff straight by the time we go out there in a few years. Not that Texas has ever been high in my eyes, but that's awful.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Yes, it seems that the SEC is leaning towards the Big 12 style of play. We'll see how it turns out when all is said and done.

It’s not just the SEC, The ACC, Pac12, B1G, and even The NFL has Big12 type elements. It was easy to adopt that style of play with rules changes for more offense to put butts in the seats, and safety rules changes that has taken some of the physicality out of the game.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Very good, in fact good enough potentially to get to the playoff. Why? Play at the qb position. LSU has always had the talent to beat us, where they’ve fallen short is at the qb position. They now have that piece. Right now, Joe Burrow would be no. 2 on my list behind Jalen Hurts in the heisman race.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_r...l&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

According to the Advocate, UT disabled the A/C in LSU's locker room. With field temps in triple digits, that's not just bad sportsmanship, that's a careless lack of decency. They better get their stuff straight by the time we go out there in a few years. Not that Texas has ever been high in my eyes, but that's awful.

First, I didn't see one thing in the article that claimed Texas "disabled" the AC in the locker room. Secondly, if La Tech didn't have AC in week one you'd think somebody would have said something publicly about it.

And how did Oregon know to even call La Tech if they had said nothing about it???

Something doesn't add up here and I'm not sure I'm buying it.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
First, I didn't see one thing in the article that claimed Texas "disabled" the AC in the locker room. Secondly, if La Tech didn't have AC in week one you'd think somebody would have said something publicly about it.

And how did Oregon know to even call La Tech if they had said nothing about it???

Something doesn't add up here and I'm not sure I'm buying it.
Fair enough on the disabling part, but it's not likely that's something anyone would make up in the wake of a win, maybe as an excuse for a loss... However, Texas probably has gold-plated toilet paper dispensers in parts of their stadium. Does anyone think they wouldn't be on top of any locker room issues before the season? Or really anything that would impact players of any team?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.