How good is LSU?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Fair enough on the disabling part, but it's not likely that's something anyone would make up in the wake of a win, maybe as an excuse for a loss... However, Texas probably has gold-plated toilet paper dispensers in parts of their stadium. Does anyone think they wouldn't be on top of any locker room issues before the season? Or really anything that would impact players of any team?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
I've been in one of their areas like our "zones" - yes, swanky nice.

If the AC was not working at all La Tech could not have stayed in there during half time. It's been around 100 most days this month here.

FWIW...don't take this as me doubting you, but there's just something "off" to me about this story.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Very good, in fact good enough potentially to get to the playoff. Why? Play at the qb position. LSU has always had the talent to beat us, where they’ve fallen short is at the qb position. They now have that piece. Right now, Joe Burrow would be no. 2 on my list behind Jalen Hurts in the heisman race.
Apparently you and I watched two different games...

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I hear Danny Sheridan give a line of Alabama -12 if the LSU game was played tomorrow. But this is all fun and games at this point...pure speculation. The Corndogs will not lose over the next month but then they have Florida at home, at MSU and Auburn at home. They can easily lose two of those games the way I see it.
They should beat both Florida in Baton Rouge and MSU on the road. I said in another thread I am holding my opinion on LSU until they play the Boogs in Death Valley. I was not impressed with LSU's running game against Texas, but Burrow lit up the Horns secondary. Burrow is a very good runner and his passing, so far, is light years ahead of last year. He appears to be a better version of Jake Fromm so far, time will tell. I believe the key to beating LSU will be for an improved running game to control the game tempo, this will put pressure on Burrow to try and score quickly. Simply put, the team that wins the lines of scrimmage will win the game.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I believe this is our best team since 2011. I believe we are better on defense than what we showed in the second half. Yes, texas’s RB dropped a wide open TD, but we stopped them on several plays inside the red zone before we got gassed. Their first TD was unfortunately a bad read by an experienced DB playing on an injured ankle. Anyway, give Texas credit, they played hard, gashed us on a 19 play drive, and has us on the ropes. We were just a little better.

LSU needs to learn how to add balance, but until then we couldn’t afford to run the ball against Texas. It was a sprint and we needed to keep separation. We have highly touted but inexperienced freshman RBs. They will get lots of work over the next 3 games.

As for Burrow, he has been a different QB since the Bama game last year in terms of passing efficiency. He is built for this offense. I don’t expect him to keep up this pace, but I can see him throwing for 35 TDS. He is tough as nails and I love his leadership.

Ill give Orgeron credit, he wants to learn from his mistakes. Y’all talk about Fournette and the 2015 game...Les Miles is in Kansas driving those people crazy trying to run into brick walls. Orgeron and company started to open up the offense after the Bama loss last year, realizing he needed to change something up.

I expect we will be competitive in every game and if things fall our way, we could be in the playoffs even with a Bama loss.

Finally, I said it on here last week, Stingley (24) may end up being the best cornerback we will ever have. He is a true freshman and that breakup/near Int he had against their best receiver was a thing a beauty.

I will enjoy this season.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Very good, in fact good enough potentially to get to the playoff. Why? Play at the qb position. LSU has always had the talent to beat us, where they’ve fallen short is at the qb position. They now have that piece. Right now, Joe Burrow would be no. 2 on my list behind Jalen Hurts in the heisman race.
This site gives me hope about humanity at times. Other times it scares the Hell out of me

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I tend to believe and probably won't be the only one but LSU will be undefeated by the time Bama plays them given they don't play a team that is pass happy and has a half decent defense that can get them into some 3 and out situations. And if you go by past history, LSU is usually a 1-loss or less team.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
This site gives me hope about humanity at times. Other times it scares the Hell out of me
We are talking about FOOTBALL. A game. It’s really not that big of a deal in the big scheme of things. It’s basically a hobby. You and I having different opinions is one thing that makes this fun. Remember that and you’ll feel much better.

Last edited:

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
LSU looks better, but we are often tricked early in the season. Remember when Texas beat Notre Dame and everyone said that Texas was back? But, then we realized that Texas and Notre Dame were both terrible. It's hard to judge a win early in the season because it's hard to know how good LSU's win is until we see Texas play more games to see how good they actually are. We also need to see LSU play more games to get an idea of how good they are.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
This game was set up to be the Texas is back game by ESPN and ABC, but LSU ruined their plans. They are getting way more credit than they deserve because Texas's defense was terrible. LSU is better offensively, but against a Big 12 offense, I am still not convinced they will be better against the top SEC defenses. Auburn has a good defense and will give them problems. Time will tell.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This game was set up to be the Texas is back game by ESPN and ABC, but LSU ruined their plans. They are getting way more credit than they deserve because Texas's defense was terrible. LSU is better offensively, but against a Big 12 offense, I am still not convinced they will be better against the top SEC defenses. Auburn has a good defense and will give them problems. Time will tell.
I tend to agree with you, but we won't know for sure until LSU plays someone with a defense.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Didn’t see the game but things I know:

1) CFB (not just UA) fans are guilty of over-reacting.......and

2) over-concluding

Too early, folks. Don’t believe me, just go ask 2010 Heisman winner in September, Dennard Robinson.

I’m actually pleased with us at this point. I think we peaked too soon in 2012 and 2013, getting a BCS break in 12 (thanks Buckeyes).

Others? We’ll see.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'm glad we play LSU later in the season because our coaching staff will have a lot of film to study by then. Texas really had only one game of film to study this "new look" LSU offense and LSU certainly didn't have to show much of their playbook against Georgia Southern. By the time we play them they will have played some quality opponents so our coaching staff should know most of their tendencies.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
I believe this is our best team since 2011. I believe we are better on defense than what we showed in the second half. Yes, texas’s RB dropped a wide open TD, but we stopped them on several plays inside the red zone before we got gassed. Their first TD was unfortunately a bad read by an experienced DB playing on an injured ankle. Anyway, give Texas credit, they played hard, gashed us on a 19 play drive, and has us on the ropes. We were just a little better.

LSU needs to learn how to add balance, but until then we couldn’t afford to run the ball against Texas. It was a sprint and we needed to keep separation. We have highly touted but inexperienced freshman RBs. They will get lots of work over the next 3 games.

As for Burrow, he has been a different QB since the Bama game last year in terms of passing efficiency. He is built for this offense. I don’t expect him to keep up this pace, but I can see him throwing for 35 TDS. He is tough as nails and I love his leadership.

Ill give Orgeron credit, he wants to learn from his mistakes. Y’all talk about Fournette and the 2015 game...Les Miles is in Kansas driving those people crazy trying to run into brick walls. Orgeron and company started to open up the offense after the Bama loss last year, realizing he needed to change something up.

I expect we will be competitive in every game and if things fall our way, we could be in the playoffs even with a Bama loss.

Finally, I said it on here last week, Stingley (24) may end up being the best cornerback we will ever have. He is a true freshman and that breakup/near Int he had against their best receiver was a thing a beauty.

I will enjoy this season.
“He’s got Highhhhhhh hopes,
he’s got Highhh hopes
He’s got high Apple pie
In the sky hopes.”

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
Until proven otherwise. I still think Burrow is a game manager that is currently benefiting from a new offensive scheme that no one has film on just yet. But as time plays out, defenses will adjust and he will be who everybody thought he was in the first place. The guy is tough as nails, not going to lose games for you and I respect the heck out of the type player he is.

However, I'm not ready to put him into the "Elite passer" category as of yet. His first two games have been against Ga Southern and a Texas team with not only a "Big 12 defense". But with true freshman CB's and an idiot DC who refused to get out of man coverage even though his CB's were getting severely beat off the LOS all night long. Burrow made some nice passes during that game, don't get me wrong. But also benefited from a lot of things that had nothing to do with his passing talent that he will not once he gets into SEC defenses and those SEC defenses have more film on their new toy.
Throwing for 471 yards is one heck of a game manager. Did Trent Dilfer or Jeff Hostetler ever do that?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Ed Orgeron vs Nick Saban games

2007 Alabama @ Ole Miss

Matchup
1st Downs2719
3rd down efficiency9-164-12
4th down efficiency0-12-3
Total Yards378420
Passing289305
Comp-Att26-4022-40
Yards per pass6.67.1
Interceptions thrown13
Rushing113136
Rushing Attempts4031
Yards per rush2.84.4
Penalties3-196-47
Turnovers23
Fumbles lost10
Interceptions thrown13

2016 Alabama @ LSU

Matchup
1st Downs166
3rd down efficiency7-174-15
4th down efficiency1-20-2
Total Yards323125
Passing10792
Comp-Att10-1911-24
Yards per pass5.63.8
Interceptions thrown11
Rushing21633
Rushing Attempts5127
Yards per rush4.21.2
Penalties6-293-20
Turnovers21
Fumbles lost10
Interceptions thrown11
Possession33:5526:05

2017 LSU @ Alabama

Matchup
1st Downs1614
3rd down efficiency9-195-14
4th down efficiency0-10-0
Total Yards306299
Passing155183
Comp-Att15-3111-24
Yards per pass5.07.6
Interceptions thrown10
Rushing151116
Rushing Attempts4236
Yards per rush3.63.2
Penalties5-301-11
Turnovers10
Fumbles lost00
Interceptions thrown10
Possession34:0725:53

2018 Alabama @ LSU

Matchup
1st Downs2913
3rd down efficiency8-145-16
4th down efficiency1-10-0
Total Yards576196
Passing295184
Comp-Att25-4218-35
Yards per pass7.05.3
Interceptions thrown11
Rushing28112
Rushing Attempts3725
Yards per rush7.60.5
Penalties6-603-15
Turnovers11
Fumbles lost00
Interceptions thrown11
Possession35:1824:42

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.