How good is LSU?
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

How good is LSU?

I must say, I'm very surprised to see what's going on at LSU. The revamped offense has Burrow looking like a Heisman candidate. I think Texas is a decent team and it was a close game, even with LSU putting 45 points on the board. They should cruise through the next few games. So it's hard to get a handle on how good they might be.

Just for fun, here are some stats from week 2:

Tua
    16-24, 227 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT

Jalen
    14-18, 259 yards, 3 TD, O INT

Lawrence
    24-35, 268 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Burrow
    31-39, 471 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT

Our game with LSU will likely determine who wins the SECW. That's looking to be a great matchup.

Re: How good is LSU?

While i agree that LSU looks improved, you can't shake the fact that Texas put 401 passing yards on their secondary. Tua might put 500 on them. And by comparison, i think our defense could hold Burrow to 300 or maybe less. While Burrow is improved, i'd have to think during the week leading up to Bama/LSU, he'll be thinking about getting shut out and pummeled last year, and that could cause some issues in his head.
    JUST WIN
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Its not the will to win that matters everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters. - Paul W "Bear" Bryant
    "Aight" - Nick Saban

Tua played about 1/2, Burrow played 4 quarters...Extrapolate...

Tua with 4 quarters: 32/48 454 Yds. 6TDs 0 Ints...I know that's not really fair, but neither are apples and oranges...

Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    I must say, I'm very surprised to see what's going on at LSU. The revamped offense has Burrow looking like a Heisman candidate. I think Texas is a decent team and it was a close game, even with LSU putting 45 points on the board. They should cruise through the next few games. So it's hard to get a handle on how good they might be.

Just for fun, here are some stats from week 2:

Tua
    16-24, 227 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT

Jalen
    14-18, 259 yards, 3 TD, O INT

Lawrence
    24-35, 268 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Burrow
    31-39, 471 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT

Our game with LSU will likely determine who wins the SECW. That's looking to be a great matchup.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

They are improved, but I need to see them against a defense and not air.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I will have to see how they play against the Boogs before I can give an answer.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Well here's the thing. At no point in the last 5 or more years have we seen anything like this from them even against 1-AA competition. It's probably been since Mettenberger. Heck maybe even Rohan Davey. So I think their metamorphosis is legit. It remains to be seen how well they will do against a legit secondary and a front 7 that can pressure Burrow.

As for them overcoming us, I'll have to be convinced. We've seen this before, just with the running game, not passing. Fournette was the presumptive Heisman winner, they were undefeated coming into Bryant-Denny, and Derrick Henry and Alabama's defense slapped that down. So we'll see.

BamaNation Scout Team

I definitely think their offense has finally emerged from the Stone Age. But, that was a B12 defense. Let’s see how they perform against the Barn.

BamaNation All-American

Looks like they exchanged their defense to get the offense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

They are better but like someone said that was a BIG 12 defense. After that game neither team can claim to be DBU (we all know who that is anyway - RTR!).

BamaNation All-American

Their offense looks a lot better. The question will be how much better it looks vs teams like us.

I have a feeling LSU scores more than we'd like against us this year but I still don't have a ton of concern about that game. It being at home helps.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Folks buying the LSU hype. We won't know how good they are until they play Florida, auburn and Alabama.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-American

Yes, LSU is better on offense, but at what cost. This is the perfect example of a yen and yang relationship between offense and defense. Teams that run hurry up no huddle typically have terrible defenses. LSU is no exception. Their D was absolutely gassed in the 3rd and 4th quarter. You can't continually put your defense back on the field every couple of minutes in real time. They gave up huge yards and points to a QB who in all honesty is not a top tier player. We saw it last year against Clemson. This is why Saban wants to re-establish a strong running game so we can have balance on both sides of the ball.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

It's more to do with change of scheme than Burrow vastly improving. The "passing coordinator" that was hired away from the Saints is being given credit for this "new offense". You can tell their passing scheme's are more complex. But we also have to remember, as more film comes available of their new scheme, the more DC's will get to adjust. Do you really think Herman's staff used the Ga Southern tape to prep for their offense? Probably not. One game's film against a lower tier school probably wasn't the first thing put into the "VCR". We saw it last year with Tua as the year progressed on. As more film became available, the harder it was for him to have success through the air.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon