News Article: Phillip Fulmer could be Tennessee football coach in waiting - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

Re: Phillip Fulmer could be Tennessee football coach in waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    I never thought the hire made sense. I thought Jeremy should have gone to state where he would have time to adjust and expectations weren't unrealistic. UT is a dumpster fire and having Phil is just adding to it. He is the guy who always has an agenda that serves his interests and not the long term health or success of the program he is charged in running. UT is getting what they deserve. Until the PTB in Knoxville figure out he is a cancer, they are going to be mired in mediocrity.
    State’s had more success recently than UT.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

If I was to take an EXTREMELY unbiased opinion and take on Fulmer as a coach then I would say that he is a good coach that got extremely lucky in his championship year, and really was around for 17 years beacause for 10 of those years atleast two of his rivals with better recruiting bases were in the dumps
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    State’s had more success recently than UT.
    You are correct, but an 8 win season at State get you a contract extension. In Knoxville, ii gets you fired. I have no doubt Phil wants his old job back and I would not be surprised if he is stabbing Jeremy in the back and undermining him as a coach. It isn't like Phil has not done it before. I think he was out coaching with the teams last year or during the spring. Jeremy should have told him his only involvement with the team might be a photo op every now and then. When you have your former coach on the field coaching, it sends the wrong message to the team. The players wonder who really is in charge. Again, as long as Fulmer is there, UT we be a train wreck.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I am obviously in the minority in this thread regarding Fulmer returning to HC at Tennessee. He is 69 years old (and not a fit 68 year old CNS) and for those of you who are near this age there just isn't much energy to coach at a major football program in the toughest conference in college football. If he fires Pruitt he will be the de facto HC through Tee Martin. He is smart enough to know he cannot catch lighting in a bottle again with no Roy Kramer providing him cover. Do you really think he wants to go up against the current Alabama, UGA, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Miss State, and TAMU programs? I expect Pruitt to be gone before the season is over and Martin to step in, at least temporarily.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Second Team

Phat Phil does not have the same mindset as most, Gray. It truly would not surprise me if Cpt Krispy Kreme did step in being so arrogant to think he can be UT's savior. He truly is that full of himself.

BamaNation First Team BigAlinKnoxville's Avatar

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Pruitt was a desperation hire but if they fire him mid-season in year 2 of rebuild then they better have a plan. Putting all your eggs in the T Martin basket is a very high risk if you ask me. If I was Fulmer I’d keep Pruitt through the end of the season and see who is available at the end of the year, then make a change if it is necessary. He will have better, more qualified candidates to choose from at that time.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; September 11th, 2019 at 09:37 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInCummingGA View Post
    Phat Phil does not have the same mindset as most, Gray. It truly would not surprise me if Cpt Krispy Kreme did step in being so arrogant to think he can be UT's savior. He truly is that full of himself.
    You may be right. Maybe his ego will override his brain telling him there is no way you can keep up and resurrect the program in the current SEC environment.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

I thought Phat Phil has always been a coach in waiting:

Waiting for the “hot and now” doughnuts at Krispy Kreme, waiting for fresh yeast rolls at the Golden Corral, waiting tables at a Knoxville Waffle House....
    "A politician is a person that can smoke a cigar, down a shot of bourbon, kiss a baby, and talk out of both sides of their mouth all at the same time."

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Tug Tide View Post
    Phil “rights the ship” then hands over the keys to Tee Martin
    I've wondered at times if that's the plan.