UA Administration Starting to Voice Displeasure with So Many Daytime Games

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I think this past game put several adults in the hospital and possibly a death that may have not been directly heat related but certainly wasn't helped by the conditions.
I believe the total that were hospitalized was around 30.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
What we're really talking about here is a perception of repeated unshared burdens.

If all schools played about the same number of hot games, and all schools played about the same number of opponents who had the previous week off, and all schools had the equal protection of the SEC office (looking at you, Roy Kramer), I don't think you'd see the rise from the Alabama contingent.

But for several years now, we've played more September day games than anybody else. For decades, we played several times the number of opponents who had the previous week off that any other team did. And Roy Kramer and the rest of the SEC office warned every single other SEC team away from Albert Means....except Alabama. And then they hung us out to dry.

And don't get me started about the disparity of holding calls or other officiating imbalances that are far beyond statistical significance. Oh, well, I guess I started myself.

OL downfield...Anyone? Anyone? Are either Auburn or Ole miss out there? Buehler? Buehler? What about the definition of a completed pass? Is Arkansas out there? Stolen national championships in 1966 and 1977? Anyone? Anyone?

If the results of any of this were remotely randomly distributed, I don't think you'd hear a lot from Tuscaloosa. But old hurts die hard when the scars keep getting ripped off. Again. And again.

This isn't about hot games. It's about a lot more.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I have a problem with the 11:00 Games.
It would make more sense to have a few more Morning games for smaller teams,
and save the later times for more of the larger Universities.
Kind of hard to have a 100,000 show up to watch a 11 am game.
Are they setting early times to punish Alabama? Kinda looks like it.
We are disproportionly having the early games.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This, so much this.

I can't believe I hear so many commentators simply omitting this.

LSU even got the CBS game time moved so they could play at home, at night. It's nonsense, what did LSU do to warrant such special consideration? On the other hand, Alabama has to always play day games? It isn't much to ask for something closer to an even split, this isn't an unreasonable expectation and anyone who says otherwise is either pushing an agenda or likes the fact that Alabama is getting screwed.
Maybe, next year, Alabama sets their game times and tells ESPN/SECN that they are free to cover the games, or not, as they choose? You risk having a game completely blacked out on TV, and there would likely be other consequences for the conference, but you would make your point.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Maybe, next year, Alabama sets their game times and tells ESPN/SECN that they are free to cover the games, or not, as they choose? You risk having a game completely blacked out on TV, and there would likely be other consequences for the conference, but you would make your point.
There are other ways to make a point though.

Just to review, since the SEC Network started, Alabama has been forced to play more of these day games than any other SEC team. LSU is an outlier as well though, playing every single G5 game at night. The key is why does LSU get to play them at night? Because they want to, that's why. It's not just screwing over Alabama, they're just the ones hit the hardest. It's hurting all the other SEC teams who then have a smaller pool of night slots available.

Alabama just has to keep pushing on this issue and demand something closer to an equitable arrangement. The fact is Alabama was the one bringing in the most tier 3 revenue of any SEC schools (which is what became the SEC network), so they not only gave up the most in order to form the SEC Network, but they then got hit the hardest in terms of day games. Alabama shouldn't have a disproportionately small voice in game times while at the same time providing disproportionately higher revenue to other schools. Alabama shouldn't have to sacrifice the most to create the network, then sacrifice the most night games as well. They should at least be in an equitable position and they do need to demand that.

This isn't necessarily a, well if you want an SEC paycheck you go along with it type scenario. It's just a demand to be treated as an equal partner type situation.

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
I just heard a few minutes ago that the Bama/OleMiss game will be televised on CBS @ 2:30.
Here is an updated look at the kickoff and TV schedule for Week 5:

Northern Illinois at Vanderbilt, 12 pm ET / 11 am CT on SEC Network
Texas A&M vs. Arkansas (Arlington, Texas), 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPN
Ole Miss at Alabama, 3:30 pm ET/2:30 pm CT on CBS
Towson at Florida, 4 pm ET / 3 pm CT on SEC Network
Mississippi State at Auburn, 7 pm ET / 6 pm CT on ESPN
Kentucky at South Carolina, 7:30 pm ET/6:30 pm CT on SEC Network

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
No kidding. Even with State no longer undefeated, I would think that's a more appealing game than Bama-Ole Miss.
Agree. State/AU or Texas A&M/Arkansas would be better games. I think they went with Bama because the game will probably rate the best even though it will be the most lopsided of the 3..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I just heard a few minutes ago that the Bama/OleMiss game will be televised on CBS @ 2:30.
Can't really complain about such as that...if we're the best game that weekend then that is the slot you should expect.

The problem has been the continuous 3rd or 4th tier selections for 11am in September when there are quite literally replaceable level alternatives to putting us in that slot.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
[FONT=&quot]I usually don't read Pat Forde but this time he has a point.

"Over the past six-plus seasons, this is your breakdown of kickoff times for Alabama and LSU for regular-season games:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Before 6 p.m. local time: Alabama 44 games, LSU 17.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Noon or 11 a.m. starts: Alabama nine games, LSU four. (Four of Alabama’s 11 a.m. starts have come in the last 15 games. LSU, which also has an 11 a.m. kickoff this week, hadn’t had one previously since 2017.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After 6 p.m.: Alabama 28 games, LSU 55.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That’s a disparity."[/FONT]

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Two things not touched on yet.

1. The stadium is now a bowl, so without a really fast breeze, the heat is somewhat trapped inside. The University may have to create an effective method of cooling the stadium (fans/misting systems/cooling seats) or make shading systems for the games in the future because;
2. The world, particularly cities, is simply getting hotter, and without a massive move to paint all of our streets and roofs white, plant a zillion more trees, and burning far less gas/coal, games will only get hotter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.