UA Administration Starting to Voice Displeasure with So Many Daytime Games

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
2:30 CBS game is whatever but without even looking I feel confident in saying a majority of our home September day kicks are 11am/3pm SECN games
Your good games are CBS, and your other games are SECN - all are early games. That is the point. Unless you are playing a top 20 team, you are getting an early game. Welcome to the SEC.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don’t see many South Carolina fans complaining about lower competition when they automatically had the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ranked teams on their schedule before the season. In fact I see more complaining about adding an additional P5 team because it probably costed them a Bowl game.

Some of y’all really need to come back down to earth and realize loading up a schedule with P5 teams is the absolute dumbest thing we could do. I don’t care if Saban said he preferred it. The fact is that the 3 other playoff teams last year played cake schedules while we had to play through Hell to get there.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Your good games are CBS, and your other games are SECN - all are early games. That is the point. Unless you are playing a top 20 team, you are getting an early game. Welcome to the SEC.
Check how many day games LSU has had to play...

Case in point, they are playing the mighty Northwestern St. at 6:30....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
SECN has a night game and Alabama almost never gets it...and at this time of the year USM v. Alabama is about as high of quality as that game gets.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Auburn vs Tulane
LSU vs Ga Southern
Tennessee vs BYU
Florida vs Tennessee Martin
Kentucky vs E Michigan
Georgia vs Murray St *
Mizzou vs Wyoming

You want me to tell you the 2 things they all have in common?

* 4pm game

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Oh please.

It’s really very simple—schedule better games and you attract better network coverage in the evening hours AND more fans will show up at the stadium. Schedule high school opponents and you produce the opposite effect.

I assure you that I’m not the only fan of this program that lives within 100 miles of the university that sat on his wallet the first two games. There are thousands of us.
Did you even watch saban's press conference where he said we don't pick these teams out of a freaking hat? I know people think that saban and byrnne just snap there fingers and stuff just happens. But it just doesn't work that way.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
SEC has not been fair .. just like the bye before playing Bama stuff which went on

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
SEC has not been fair .. just like the bye before playing Bama stuff which went on
And the SEC did absolutely nothing about it until Alabama started making a fuss.

LSU has been getting preferential treatment on the issue of the night games for years, but it's not just LSU. Alabama has been consistently drawing the early games (so LSU gets what they want, Alabama doesn't), and I suppose the SEC or ESPN has a reason for doing it, but it still isn't fair.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And the SEC did absolutely nothing about it until Alabama started making a fuss.

LSU has been getting preferential treatment on the issue of the night games for years, but it's not just LSU. Alabama has been consistently drawing the early games (so LSU gets what they want, Alabama doesn't), and I suppose the SEC or ESPN has a reason for doing it, but it still isn't fair.
Agreed, it isn't fair, but it is because you are Alabama, a huge TV draw. You would hurt the ratings of their bigger prime time games. You only get that time slot when your game is the best that ESPN has to offer, with rare CBS double header type exceptions.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Then maybe the question is answered by the university unburdening themselves of the SEC because this has become a reoccuring theme with this outfit in Birmingham.

I don't really buy that totally but maybe they should start making Sankey fill his britches a few times.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Auburn has too

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Agreed, it isn't fair, but it is because you are Alabama, a huge TV draw. You would hurt the ratings of their bigger prime time games. You only get that time slot when your game is the best that ESPN has to offer, with rare CBS double header type exceptions.
I get what your saying Big Tide but I am not sure people are glued to the TV when Bama is playing New Mexico State and Southern Miss.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
The difference between this and the open week thread is that the media reported the open week stuff. Maybe we can boycott the broadcast. It will probably be Mowins so I’ll have Eli on anyway....

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The network logic for the 21st... They would rather put Bama- Southern Miss on national TV on ESPN2 . The SEC network is still mostly reginal. ESPN2 does not want to air Arky- San Jose on national TV.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Sadly a Tide fan passed away Saturday. He had been complaining about being really hot and had a heart attack and they were not able to save him. He was only 57 and was a coworker’s husband. Please keep them in your prayers. Another friend said he stopped counting at 12 ambulances taking away people with heat related issues.

My BIGGEST PROBLEM is with the “player safety” first craze going on (and I’m all for that) that they completely ignore this VERY legitimate complaint.

The heat is absolutely nothing to joke around about in large portions of the country where football is played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
If the weather is as bad as this past Saturday and we did have several fans carted off due to heat exhaustion and possibly heat stroke, he really needs to step up and say that we are moving the game to night game due to player and spectator safety and the TV guys can work it out, period.

If Saban wants better fan support, then the athletic department needs to take care of the fans.

(This is no way a condemnation of any remarks made the athletic staff at this point. Just making an observation.)

I didn’t see this but there was one death. I cannot say that it wouldn’t have happened but this was a guy that hadn’t had any problems before this happened. Completely shocking to the family.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Sadly a Tide fan passed away Saturday. He had been complaining about being really hot and had a heart attack and they were not able to save him. He was only 57 and was a coworker’s husband. Please keep them in your prayers. Another friend said he stopped counting at 12 ambulances taking away people with heat related issues.

My BIGGEST PROBLEM is with the “player safety” first craze going on (and I’m all for that) that they completely ignore this VERY legitimate complaint.

The heat is absolutely nothing to joke around about in large portions of the country where football is played.

I knew this fine man.

Alabama should refuse to play a game at home when under a NWS Heat Advisory (as was the case Saturday). They delay games for lightening and thunderstorms....they should do the same..( play at night) for heat. Heat is as dangerous for fans and players as lightening.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I get what your saying Big Tide but I am not sure people are glued to the TV when Bama is playing New Mexico State and Southern Miss.
Birmingham, AL is the #1 tv market in the country for college football. This is because of Alabama fans (I’m sure in some small part Auburn fans as well). Our game would take away a sizeable portion of viewers in this market (my tv would primarily be on our game no matter who else was playing and I feel I’m a typical fan).

None of this matters though. We are getting screwed by the conference on this. It’s for the sake of money and keeping the SEC Network afloat, but we are getting screwed nonetheless.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Oh please.

It’s really very simple—schedule better games and you attract better network coverage in the evening hours AND more fans will show up at the stadium. Schedule high school opponents and you produce the opposite effect.

I assure you that I’m not the only fan of this program that lives within 100 miles of the university that sat on his wallet the first two games. There are thousands of us.
Which good opponents have approached Bama but been turned away? Which teams has Bama approached but have said they have no interest in playing Bama at this time? Just curious, I'm not privvy to these answers.

But I do know teams aren't lining up to pay Bama - would you?

BSu used to complain no one would play them, but they never talked about all the teams they didn't call...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.