UA Administration Starting to Voice Displeasure with So Many Daytime Games

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
There were AT LEAST 15 people in my section alone that needed immediate medical assistance because of the heat. A section underneath the stands seemed to be a collection point for EMS and police to help and assist people and it was a constant flow. I have NEVER been to a game that hot, and I've only missed 1 or 2 games in the past 20 years.
It was a pretty miserable situation, and I love they heat and being outside but that unfortunately was a dangerous situation. I saw at least 6-7 heated-related situations before I left with my niece during the third quarter.

UA did they best they could do to compensate for the heat. But it was an impressive situation, many of the fans were literally sitting on the floor in the concourse to avoid the heat/humidity. It looked similar to people taking refuge after a natural disaster situation. It was obvious we as fans wanted to be there, but at the same time everyone can't be expected to sit 2 plus hours in dangerous heat conditions.

It honestly should at least be considered a situation where the game times are rescheduled due to inclement weather like that ... its not a situation where it happens every year, but when it does, there has to be consideration of the health and safety of both fans and players. Especially with heat when you have a good idea of the temperature almost a week in advance. The players, fans and the schools shouldn't be penalized for the sake of broadcast scheduling.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
During the LSU/Texas game in Austin Sat. night the temp was in the low to mid 90's at kickoff but the humidity was only 23%.

It's been "hot" so far this September in North Texas, but the air is dry for the most part. I tell people here in the Metroplex that complain about summer humidity that there's a huge difference between Tuscaloosa and Dallas. And once you get to Fort Worth and points westward, it gets more and more arid.

Bottom line, southeast has much heavier, humid air.
I did basic training and tech school at Lackland ( San Antonio) from May to October in 2008. Running drills, marching, and doing combat maneuvers in full gear. I had many Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi folks in my group and none of us fell out, complained about the heat, or were close to collapse. I had a friend who went through basic at ft benning (Georgia) and was from Alabama. He said they had limited training on yellow flag conditions and stopped training on red flag. We stopped training on Black Flag and dialed back on upper red flag.

I spent 1 month of predeployment training for my first deployment living in the Nevada desert and hardly anyone fell out. For my second deployment we went to New Jersey and about 100 fell out. These were both pre deployment training courses that required 80-85% of the time in full combat gear doing combat maneuvers and going to the range in full combat gear. Both were in July. The difference was humidity.

I’m not trying to boast that I’m better than Anyone just saying the humidity is a bigger factor to heat related medical issues than the actual temperature reading. It’s like windchill vs actual cold temperature.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sadly a Tide fan passed away Saturday. He had been complaining about being really hot and had a heart attack and they were not able to save him. He was only 57 and was a coworker’s husband. Please keep them in your prayers. Another friend said he stopped counting at 12 ambulances taking away people with heat related issues.

My BIGGEST PROBLEM is with the “player safety” first craze going on (and I’m all for that) that they completely ignore this VERY legitimate complaint.

The heat is absolutely nothing to joke around about in large portions of the country where football is played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be enough to push GB and Bell to publicly voice their displeasure.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Are we going away from the "neutral site" game to kick off the year as we schedule more "home and home" series in the future?

As we all know, that first game is typically scheduled for a dome stadium. If we go away from that it might mean opening with more pansies at home and we know what that means.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Is the answer to schedule more conference games in Sept to effectively lower the inventory for TV??
I think the answer is more to get rid of CBS’s ability to chose first, and to follow its own rules. To also not just give LSU the right to influence the networks to give them every G5 game a night time slot just for the ability to give everyone of their fans the opportunity to enjoy “Saturday night in Death Valley”.

Really the issues are the disproportion of night games and the added disadvantages that are put on the Alabama players and fans. Had the Arkansas vs Ole Miss game been switched with Alabama vs NMSU game then I don’t think many would’ve complained about the week 4 alignment. Hell if they gave us a 4pm kick vs USM and moved UGA vs ND to 7:30 then I don’t think folks would be up in arms about this. But the networks took the “ we can’t have you there if we have UT vs UF at 11am, that isn’t fair “ route. Most of us get the idea of protecting the marquee time slot, but at some point you have to be fair about who gets the other slots.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Columbia, SC is as hot as anywhere right now.
It’s one of the few aspects that I’m not looking forward to this weekend, but this is one of the few stadiums in the SEC I haven’t gone to and it will be around another 10-12 years before I will get another chance to go for a Bama game. So I rather do it while I’m young enough to do it.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Sure it is - just look at how many B1G games are played at noon Eastern, 11am Central. You guys don't want the 11am start times.
In the past many fans have expressed a desire to avoid night games so that their 2-5 hr drive home will not get them home 2-4am. So, I would amend the statement to say that many Bama fans don't want 11am CT start times in Sept. OTOH, some fans want night games not only to avoid heat but because they can also visit, tailgate, etc. all day then attend the game.

My "not as easy as it looks" statement was about pleasing all customers. Really, it's impossible.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
In the past many fans have expressed a desire to avoid night games so that their 2-5 hr drive home will not get them home 2-4am. So, I would amend the statement to say that many Bama fans don't want 11am CT start times in Sept. OTOH, some fans want night games not only to avoid heat but because they can also visit, tailgate, etc. all day then attend the game.

My "not as easy as it looks" statement was about pleasing all customers. Really, it's impossible.
Well the numbers point to most fans hating 11am September games than September 8pm games.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...ic-disappointment-with-football-tv-times.html

It is true 11 am and 815 games are the worst times, but 11 am are by far the worst. Most Alabama fans want More September games in the 6pm time slot than any other for non SEC games.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is true 11 am and 815 games are the worst times, but 11 am are by far the worst. Most Alabama fans want More September games in the 6pm time slot than any other for non SEC games.
11 am games are over by 2pm, when the stadium is starting to reach peak temps. It is a far better time slot than 2:30 if the concern is heat.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
The SW and the SE aren’t even comparable. I’ve lived in both and while temps are higher in number in the SW, it is a dry heat not a humid heat. SE is far more dangerous at 90• than a SW at 100•. I’ve lived and traveled to multiple places across this world and can honestly say that the heat is only comparable or worse than summers in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi in only a handful of them. Brazil, Rome, and New Jersey are some of the few.
Agreed....I have been in DFW since 2013. I can tell you this, having grown up in Alabama and moved to Atlanta after graduating from UAT, I'd take a Texas summer of a Southeast Summer any day of the week. Give me 100 degrees & dry rather than 90 degrees & humid any day of the week.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
11 am games are over by 2pm, when the stadium is starting to reach peak temps. It is a far better time slot than 2:30 if the concern is heat.
Yes, but that wasn’t the point. The point is that fans don’t like the inconvenience of an 11am game in September. Tickets scanned clearly proves that.

Byrne is trying to get more fans in the stadium and more money in Tuscaloosa. That ain’t happening if all you get is breakfast games and scorchers. Meanwhile teams like LSU and Auburn are getting night game after night game and fuller stadiums because of it. Alabama has been a team player about this for far too long. It’s gotten to the point in which they really should start to making threats to the SECN and the SEC as a whole to get fairer treatment. There was a reason most Bama PPV games in September were at night.

Last edited:

SirCedricCedric

Dec 31, 2018
Love this time of year.
We waited all year for football and now we argue about starting time. I am kind of in-the-middle about this topic. Yes, 11am games in early Sept is hard. But early games in late November are nice.
The only thing I agree with-and dislike-- Is that LSU has told the SEC they want their games at night and get it every time. But that just did not happen this year. That has been going on for some time.
And I remember when they scheduled the Bama/ Ole Miss game at 8pm. This board went wild about it being too late and not doing Bama right by the game time.
Come on! There is just no way of pleasing some football fans. But that is why I like this time of year.

Last edited:

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I don't give a monkey's butthole about the health of "the conference." I care about Alabama, and only Alabama. The rest of "the conference" can sit and spin. This is crap. As Byrne said in his statement, we have played more day games than anyone else in the conference since 2014. We are the cash cow of the conference and have been for literally decades. It's past time "the conference" understands that they wouldn't be what they are today without the perennial excellence of Alabama.
Sure as hell didn't stop them from trying to use Alabama as a sacrifice to Fulmer back in 2001 and 2002. This conference just can't deal with the fact that Alabama is who it is, and everyone else is a Johnny Come Lately. Worst part is, Alabama also allows it happen.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
So do you care about winning national championships and SEC championships?

And FWIW scheduling is not as simple as you believe.
Thank you for saying it. Scheduling doesn't happen in August. It happens the year prior, at the earliest, and often 2-4 years sooner. Example: Louisville was a pitiful opening week opponent last season. But when that game was scheduled, they were playing quite well. They fell apart when Lamar Jackson left early. Their coach was already on the hot seat. We scheduled the following teams to open the season in the past:

Clemson
West Virginia, when they were excelling.
USC. Not a walk in the park, and we killed them.
Michigan.
Wisconsin.
Virginia Tech

All of these in the past 10 years. We don't pick crappy teams. Crappy teams show up. Worst part is that, due to the influence of money (which the SEC just loves as much as UA), none of these games were played in Tuscaloosa. Or Birmingham, as if we'd ever do that again anyway. It's been a problem for a long, long time. It's disappointing how much this school loves the money these days. But when the day comes that Coach Saban isn't there, and we aren't in the title hunt every single season, I wonder if that money will be so easy to come by?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.