UA Administration Starting to Voice Displeasure with So Many Daytime Games - Page 7
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Re: UA Administration Starting to Voice Displeasure with So Many Daytime Games

Quote Originally Posted by ARollTideDad View Post
    Summary of the thread.

A) September Day games are unsafe and should not be played in this climate. It is a health hazard.
    B) September Day games are played across the country, including the Southeast and Southwest in temperatures exceeding this week’s in Alabama.

A) I empathize with the fans in the stands. No way to survive 4 hours in that heat. Don’t blame them for leaving early, especially when the free water runs out early.
    B) The players play in it. The coaches coach in it. And the MDB marches around in heavy uniforms all day in it. MDB is not exactly elite athletes.

A) There is a bias against Alabama. LSU plays less day games in September because of exerted influence. Alabama should start exerting its power.
    B) Actual numbers are close, and Alabama gets slotted in day games to not conflict with marquee matchup at night.

A) “Nick Saban and Greg Byrne” need to schedule better opponents.
    B) Games are scheduled well in advance (6, 10, 12 years potentially), from a limited pool of options, and typically not by the current head coach. Also, “real teams” simply refuse to play Alabama.

A) Alabama’s schedule reflects the nature of being the strongest team in the strongest conference with a TV deal intended to make money for all schools.
    B) Conference is irrelevant, I only care about Alabama and the two are not linked.

A) Alabama should change conferences or become and independent (like NMSU, I mean like ND) in order to have schedule and revenue control.
    B) The benefits of being the top member of the top conference for revenue generating sports outweigh the negatives.

At some point, it’s agree to disagree …
    The SW and the SE arenít even comparable. Iíve lived in both and while temps are higher in number in the SW, it is a dry heat not a humid heat. SE is far more dangerous at 90ē than a SW at 100ē. Iíve lived and traveled to multiple places across this world and can honestly say that the heat is only comparable or worse than summers in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi in only a handful of them. Brazil, Rome, and New Jersey are some of the few.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    The SW and the SE aren’t even comparable. I’ve lived in both and while temps are higher in number in the SW, it is a dry heat not a humid heat. SE is far more dangerous at 90• than a SW at 100•. I’ve lived and traveled to multiple places across this world and can honestly say that the heat is only comparable or worse than summers in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi in only a handful of them. Brazil, Rome, and New Jersey are some of the few.
    During the LSU/Texas game in Austin Sat. night the temp was in the low to mid 90's at kickoff but the humidity was only 23%.

It's been "hot" so far this September in North Texas, but the air is dry for the most part. I tell people here in the Metroplex that complain about summer humidity that there's a huge difference between Tuscaloosa and Dallas. And once you get to Fort Worth and points westward, it gets more and more arid.

Bottom line, southeast has much heavier, humid air.

BamaNation Third Team

sigh.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by irNate View Post
    There were AT LEAST 15 people in my section alone that needed immediate medical assistance because of the heat. A section underneath the stands seemed to be a collection point for EMS and police to help and assist people and it was a constant flow. I have NEVER been to a game that hot, and I've only missed 1 or 2 games in the past 20 years.
    It was a pretty miserable situation, and I love they heat and being outside but that unfortunately was a dangerous situation. I saw at least 6-7 heated-related situations before I left with my niece during the third quarter.

UA did they best they could do to compensate for the heat. But it was an impressive situation, many of the fans were literally sitting on the floor in the concourse to avoid the heat/humidity. It looked similar to people taking refuge after a natural disaster situation. It was obvious we as fans wanted to be there, but at the same time everyone can't be expected to sit 2 plus hours in dangerous heat conditions.

It honestly should at least be considered a situation where the game times are rescheduled due to inclement weather like that ... its not a situation where it happens every year, but when it does, there has to be consideration of the health and safety of both fans and players. Especially with heat when you have a good idea of the temperature almost a week in advance. The players, fans and the schools shouldn't be penalized for the sake of broadcast scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    During the LSU/Texas game in Austin Sat. night the temp was in the low to mid 90's at kickoff but the humidity was only 23%.

It's been "hot" so far this September in North Texas, but the air is dry for the most part. I tell people here in the Metroplex that complain about summer humidity that there's a huge difference between Tuscaloosa and Dallas. And once you get to Fort Worth and points westward, it gets more and more arid.

Bottom line, southeast has much heavier, humid air.
    I did basic training and tech school at Lackland ( San Antonio) from May to October in 2008. Running drills, marching, and doing combat maneuvers in full gear. I had many Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi folks in my group and none of us fell out, complained about the heat, or were close to collapse. I had a friend who went through basic at ft benning (Georgia) and was from Alabama. He said they had limited training on yellow flag conditions and stopped training on red flag. We stopped training on Black Flag and dialed back on upper red flag.

I spent 1 month of predeployment training for my first deployment living in the Nevada desert and hardly anyone fell out. For my second deployment we went to New Jersey and about 100 fell out. These were both pre deployment training courses that required 80-85% of the time in full combat gear doing combat maneuvers and going to the range in full combat gear. Both were in July. The difference was humidity.

Iím not trying to boast that Iím better than Anyone just saying the humidity is a bigger factor to heat related medical issues than the actual temperature reading. Itís like windchill vs actual cold temperature.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; September 10th, 2019 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    Sadly a Tide fan passed away Saturday. He had been complaining about being really hot and had a heart attack and they were not able to save him. He was only 57 and was a coworkerís husband. Please keep them in your prayers. Another friend said he stopped counting at 12 ambulances taking away people with heat related issues.

My BIGGEST PROBLEM is with the ďplayer safetyĒ first craze going on (and Iím all for that) that they completely ignore this VERY legitimate complaint.

The heat is absolutely nothing to joke around about in large portions of the country where football is played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That would be enough to push GB and Bell to publicly voice their displeasure.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Is the answer to schedule more conference games in Sept to effectively lower the inventory for TV??

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Are we going away from the "neutral site" game to kick off the year as we schedule more "home and home" series in the future?

As we all know, that first game is typically scheduled for a dome stadium. If we go away from that it might mean opening with more pansies at home and we know what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Tug Tide View Post
    Is the answer to schedule more conference games in Sept to effectively lower the inventory for TV??
    I think the answer is more to get rid of CBSís ability to chose first, and to follow its own rules. To also not just give LSU the right to influence the networks to give them every G5 game a night time slot just for the ability to give everyone of their fans the opportunity to enjoy ďSaturday night in Death ValleyĒ.

Really the issues are the disproportion of night games and the added disadvantages that are put on the Alabama players and fans. Had the Arkansas vs Ole Miss game been switched with Alabama vs NMSU game then I donít think many wouldíve complained about the week 4 alignment. Hell if they gave us a 4pm kick vs USM and moved UGA vs ND to 7:30 then I donít think folks would be up in arms about this. But the networks took the ď we canít have you there if we have UT vs UF at 11am, that isnít fair ď route. Most of us get the idea of protecting the marquee time slot, but at some point you have to be fair about who gets the other slots.

BamaNation Second Team

Columbia, SC is as hot as anywhere right now.

Quote Originally Posted by FairlyAmazing View Post
    Columbia, SC is as hot as anywhere right now.
    Itís one of the few aspects that Iím not looking forward to this weekend, but this is one of the few stadiums in the SEC I havenít gone to and it will be around another 10-12 years before I will get another chance to go for a Bama game. So I rather do it while Iím young enough to do it.

BamaNation All-American

I feel for those who were affected by the heat. I work out in the heat with safety gear on, and while I am used to the heat now, I look forward to winter

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Sure it is - just look at how many B1G games are played at noon Eastern, 11am Central. You guys don't want the 11am start times.
    In the past many fans have expressed a desire to avoid night games so that their 2-5 hr drive home will not get them home 2-4am. So, I would amend the statement to say that many Bama fans don't want 11am CT start times in Sept. OTOH, some fans want night games not only to avoid heat but because they can also visit, tailgate, etc. all day then attend the game.

My "not as easy as it looks" statement was about pleasing all customers. Really, it's impossible.