UA Administration Starting to Voice Displeasure with So Many Daytime Games - Page 8
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Re: UA Administration Starting to Voice Displeasure with So Many Daytime Games

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    In the past many fans have expressed a desire to avoid night games so that their 2-5 hr drive home will not get them home 2-4am. So, I would amend the statement to say that many Bama fans don't want 11am CT start times in Sept. OTOH, some fans want night games not only to avoid heat but because they can also visit, tailgate, etc. all day then attend the game.

My "not as easy as it looks" statement was about pleasing all customers. Really, it's impossible.
    Well the numbers point to most fans hating 11am September games than September 8pm games.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2...-tv-times.html

It is true 11 am and 815 games are the worst times, but 11 am are by far the worst. Most Alabama fans want More September games in the 6pm time slot than any other for non SEC games.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    It is true 11 am and 815 games are the worst times, but 11 am are by far the worst. Most Alabama fans want More September games in the 6pm time slot than any other for non SEC games.
    11 am games are over by 2pm, when the stadium is starting to reach peak temps. It is a far better time slot than 2:30 if the concern is heat.

BamaNation All-American bamagradinATL's Avatar

The SW and the SE arenít even comparable. Iíve lived in both and while temps are higher in number in the SW, it is a dry heat not a humid heat. SE is far more dangerous at 90ē than a SW at 100ē. Iíve lived and traveled to multiple places across this world and can honestly say that the heat is only comparable or worse than summers in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi in only a handful of them. Brazil, Rome, and New Jersey are some of the few.
    Agreed....I have been in DFW since 2013. I can tell you this, having grown up in Alabama and moved to Atlanta after graduating from UAT, I'd take a Texas summer of a Southeast Summer any day of the week. Give me 100 degrees & dry rather than 90 degrees & humid any day of the week.

"You don't want to be scared half to death more than once."

-Captain Obvious-

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    11 am games are over by 2pm, when the stadium is starting to reach peak temps. It is a far better time slot than 2:30 if the concern is heat.
    Yes, but that wasnít the point. The point is that fans donít like the inconvenience of an 11am game in September. Tickets scanned clearly proves that.

Byrne is trying to get more fans in the stadium and more money in Tuscaloosa. That ainít happening if all you get is breakfast games and scorchers. Meanwhile teams like LSU and Auburn are getting night game after night game and fuller stadiums because of it. Alabama has been a team player about this for far too long. Itís gotten to the point in which they really should start to making threats to the SECN and the SEC as a whole to get fairer treatment. There was a reason most Bama PPV games in September were at night.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; September 10th, 2019 at 01:24 PM.

BamaNation Scout Team

Love this time of year.
    We waited all year for football and now we argue about starting time. I am kind of in-the-middle about this topic. Yes, 11am games in early Sept is hard. But early games in late November are nice.
    The only thing I agree with-and dislike-- Is that LSU has told the SEC they want their games at night and get it every time. But that just did not happen this year. That has been going on for some time.
    And I remember when they scheduled the Bama/ Ole Miss game at 8pm. This board went wild about it being too late and not doing Bama right by the game time.
    Come on! There is just no way of pleasing some football fans. But that is why I like this time of year.
    Last edited by SirCedricCedric; September 10th, 2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: add a word

Quote Originally Posted by Mke4Bama View Post
    Says the guy that has gotten a massive amount of night games in September and is worried about a qb that he knows will be the death of him.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Titans&Tide View Post
    I don't give a monkey's butthole about the health of "the conference." I care about Alabama, and only Alabama. The rest of "the conference" can sit and spin. This is crap. As Byrne said in his statement, we have played more day games than anyone else in the conference since 2014. We are the cash cow of the conference and have been for literally decades. It's past time "the conference" understands that they wouldn't be what they are today without the perennial excellence of Alabama.
    Sure as hell didn't stop them from trying to use Alabama as a sacrifice to Fulmer back in 2001 and 2002. This conference just can't deal with the fact that Alabama is who it is, and everyone else is a Johnny Come Lately. Worst part is, Alabama also allows it happen.

BamaNation Second Team

So do you care about winning national championships and SEC championships?

And FWIW scheduling is not as simple as you believe.
    Thank you for saying it. Scheduling doesn't happen in August. It happens the year prior, at the earliest, and often 2-4 years sooner. Example: Louisville was a pitiful opening week opponent last season. But when that game was scheduled, they were playing quite well. They fell apart when Lamar Jackson left early. Their coach was already on the hot seat. We scheduled the following teams to open the season in the past:

Clemson
    West Virginia, when they were excelling.
    USC. Not a walk in the park, and we killed them.
    Michigan.
    Wisconsin.
    Virginia Tech

All of these in the past 10 years. We don't pick crappy teams. Crappy teams show up. Worst part is that, due to the influence of money (which the SEC just loves as much as UA), none of these games were played in Tuscaloosa. Or Birmingham, as if we'd ever do that again anyway. It's been a problem for a long, long time. It's disappointing how much this school loves the money these days. But when the day comes that Coach Saban isn't there, and we aren't in the title hunt every single season, I wonder if that money will be so easy to come by?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Al A Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jashleyren2 View Post
    Sure as hell didn't stop them from trying to use Alabama as a sacrifice to Fulmer back in 2001 and 2002. This conference just can't deal with the fact that Alabama is who it is, and everyone else is a Johnny Come Lately. Worst part is, Alabama also allows it happen.
    Why do they (PTB) hate Alabama? Do they give Bama these times, just like at least 6 teams used to have "BYE" weeks before playing Alabama?
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Second Team

Yes, but that wasn’t the point. The point is that fans don’t like the inconvenience of an 11am game in September. Tickets scanned clearly proves that.

Byrne is trying to get more fans in the stadium and more money in Tuscaloosa. That ain’t happening if all you get is breakfast games and scorchers. Meanwhile teams like LSU and Auburn are getting night game after night game and fuller stadiums because of it. Alabama has been a team player about this for far too long. It’s gotten to the point in which they really should start to making threats to the SECN and the SEC as a whole to get fairer treatment. There was a reason most Bama PPV games in September were at night.
    Great point that Alabama should make some demands. It took a lot of noise from Coach Saban to get some or our opponents in conference to not ALWAYS HAVE A BYE before they play us. One season, I believe 6 teams on the schedule had a bye the week before. And LSU and us almost always have a bye prior to it, I'm assuming due to LSU demanding it, and the league giving it to Bama too, as a consolation.

Who's in Baton Rouge? Texas and DKR Memorial Stadium superintendents sure didn't care....

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    Why do they (PTB) hate Alabama? Do they give Bama these times, just like at least 6 teams used to have "BYE" weeks before playing Alabama?
    I don't know, but it goes back a long time. I've watched officials make calls not in Alabama's favor, where it was clear to everyone there, they were wrong. The era of instant replay has curbed some of that, but, I'm not the best source, as a Tide alum and lifelong fan.

I will say that the hate was more obvious around the turn of the century. Just before 2000, and immediately after, when the program was mired in mediocrity, to put it mildly, it was quite obvious that Tennessee was given a lot of special treatment, and others were too. Again, I don't know why, other than the obvious dark, shadowy, internet conspiracy stuff.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Check how many day games LSU has had to play...

Case in point, they are playing the mighty Northwestern St. at 6:30....
    Could it be that Baton Rouge and Louisiana in general just has an appeal to the night game, rowdy, drunken party, that us fine Christian folks in Alabama would never partake in? I'm kind of serious here in my point. Alabama is a painfully conservative state, in public. In the shadows, there's nothing conservative about this place. Check the average politicians internet browser history, if you dare

I just think that perhaps a lot of this goes back to a fanbase that used to fill that stadium that had to hurry home after a ball game so as to be prepared to head down to the church-house on Sunday morning. I DO NOT WANT TO OFFEND ANY OF THE FAITHFUL HERE ON TIDEFANS, of which I consider myself one. But, might it go back to those origins?