UA Administration Starting to Voice Displeasure with So Many Daytime Games

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
[FONT="]I usually don't read Pat Forde but this time he has a point.

"Over the past six-plus seasons, this is your breakdown of kickoff times for Alabama and LSU for regular-season games:[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT="]Before 6 p.m. local time: Alabama 44 games, LSU 17.[/FONT]

[FONT="]Noon or 11 a.m. starts: Alabama nine games, LSU four. (Four of Alabama’s 11 a.m. starts have come in the last 15 games. LSU, which also has an 11 a.m. kickoff this week, hadn’t had one previously since 2017.)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT="]After 6 p.m.: Alabama 28 games, LSU 55.[/FONT]

[FONT="]That’s a disparity."[/FONT]

This is proof that people still know how to lie using statistics.

1) "Before 6 pm" includes ALL CBS GAMES telecast at 230 pm.

I mean, this does not require Einstein's brain to figure out, folks.

His "last six-plus seasons" means he's including 2013 (Byrne's started his cherry picking with 2014).
We played 3 games on CBS in 2013, the "maximum" of 5 in 2014 - and then SIX in 2015 (including four games in a row with an off week), five more in 2016, three in 2017, and five in 2018. (Of course, you have to subtract the six LSU-Alabama games from this list as far as start time).

2) Common sense tells you that if one team plays more games at 230 because they're the draw then the non-draw team plays at a different time.

3) The micro analysis going on on this thread is pretty amusing.

Folks, you can't go look at LSU's games and our games and say, "Oh but they play, we play, blah blah blah."

You have to figure WHAT ARE THE OTHER GAMES PLAYED THAT SAME DAY. If LSU is playing Auburn on the same day Alabama plays Kent State - as happened in 2016 - then it doesn't take an advanced degree to figure out why LSU plays at five pm and Alabama plays at 11 am.

And then you have to figure the other games that same day (CBS picked Tennessee-Florida).

It's not "LSU has some sway in the conference" or any other conspiracy theory, folks. It's VERY simple - "what makes money."

Fans don't think like executives because fans aren't responsible for financial results. I don't like 230 games in September, either, but it is what it is.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
The argument here - and I appreciate what Forde is noticing - is that LSU has a tradition of rowdy night games, and the SEC has largely allowed for that. There is a disparity in the number of non-conference day games that Bama has played since the SEC Network came online - which is why everyone is using 2014 as a baseline. I know Bama is a ratings boost, but that has made for a very unpleasant experience for fans at the games. Simple as that.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is proof that people still know how to lie using statistics.

1) "Before 6 pm" includes ALL CBS GAMES telecast at 230 pm.

I mean, this does not require Einstein's brain to figure out, folks.

His "last six-plus seasons" means he's including 2013 (Byrne's started his cherry picking with 2014).
We played 3 games on CBS in 2013, the "maximum" of 5 in 2014 - and then SIX in 2015 (including four games in a row with an off week), five more in 2016, three in 2017, and five in 2018. (Of course, you have to subtract the six LSU-Alabama games from this list as far as start time).

2) Common sense tells you that if one team plays more games at 230 because they're the draw then the non-draw team plays at a different time.

3) The micro analysis going on on this thread is pretty amusing.

Folks, you can't go look at LSU's games and our games and say, "Oh but they play, we play, blah blah blah."

You have to figure WHAT ARE THE OTHER GAMES PLAYED THAT SAME DAY. If LSU is playing Auburn on the same day Alabama plays Kent State - as happened in 2016 - then it doesn't take an advanced degree to figure out why LSU plays at five pm and Alabama plays at 11 am.

And then you have to figure the other games that same day (CBS picked Tennessee-Florida).

It's not "LSU has some sway in the conference" or any other conspiracy theory, folks. It's VERY simple - "what makes money."

Fans don't think like executives because fans aren't responsible for financial results. I don't like 230 games in September, either, but it is what it is.
You make a lot of good points about the CBS games and other primetime games. However, I think most people are upset when there are several cream puff games throughout the league and we always seem to kick at 11 during those times. Take this weekend for example. We're playing Southern Miss at 11AM but Arkansas is playing San Jose State at 6:30PM. Only thing I can think of is the networks don't want the Alabama game to pull attention away from the primetime UGA-Notre Dame matchup. Still, you can see why some fans are frustrated. I don't think there's a concerted effort or conspiracy theory against us but it seems like we should get a few more night games than we do..

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
I have no idea what determines who plays when, etc.....

Except that $$$$$$ usually makes the decisions.

Having said that, growing up in the late 50's, I could always find the LSU game on AM radio on a Saturday night.

Seems like they've traditionally played at night.

Whether from hype or whatever, night games in Baton Rouge are kinda drooled over by the ESPN talking heads. And most listeners follow the ESPN thinking like sheep.

But of course, it's hot everywhere in the South this time of year. Really hot.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You make a lot of good points about the CBS games and other primetime games. However, I think most people are upset when there are several cream puff games throughout the league and we always seem to kick at 11 during those times. Take this weekend for example. We're playing Southern Miss at 11AM but Arkansas is playing San Jose State at 6:30PM. Only thing I can think of is the networks don't want the Alabama game to pull attention away from the primetime UGA-Notre Dame matchup. Still, you can see why some fans are frustrated. I don't think there's a concerted effort or conspiracy theory against us but it seems like we should get a few more night games than we do..
But the question is, "WHAT are the other games on that day?"

Saying, "Other teams in the SEC play creampuffs, too," does not answer this question.

I haven't finished going through it but - for example - some teams (Kentucky is a great example) play more SEC games in September and more creampuffs later. That's because in November the Wildcats play Creampuff 1 and Louisville, both out of conference games. I suspect that when you figure Georgia plays Creampuff 1 and Georgia Tech, it also contributes to the fact.

It's not that I disagree that BDS is the center of Hell at 330pm on Saturday in September. It IS, and I've had to leave early because of my susceptibility to heat-related illnesses.

But this is not some nefarious conspiracy or "they're out to get us" nonsense, either. The ENTIRE conference (not just us and LSU) comes into play here.

'

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's pretty clear there is a disparity regarding the games in question - what used to be pay per view games before the SEC Network came online in 2014. Since then, LSU has played almost all of those games in the night time slot while Alabama has played almost all of them in the early game slot. The rest of the league has been scattered.

I do not think anyone is claiming this is any sort of conspiracy, except a "conspiracy" to maximize ratings. I do think that LSU has sway when it comes to protecting their night game tradition. I can remember them pitching holy fits over it a few years ago. It obviously made an impact.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The argument here - and I appreciate what Forde is noticing - is that LSU has a tradition of rowdy night games, and the SEC has largely allowed for that. There is a disparity in the number of non-conference day games that Bama has played since the SEC Network came online - which is why everyone is using 2014 as a baseline. I know Bama is a ratings boost, but that has made for a very unpleasant experience for fans at the games. Simple as that.
Prof,

Not accusing you personally of this, but the goalposts keep getting moved in this discussion. I'll cut to the chase, though - we're talking about SEPTEMBER DAY games on the SEC Network?

SEC Network September DAY Games (I'll Include August for Everyone since that's pretty obviously what is meant)
Alabama 6 out of 27 games
Arkansas 9 out of 27 games
Auburn 5 out of 27 games (plus 3 more played on 1-3 October)
Florida 3 out of 25 games (plus 1 on 10/1 and 1 on 10/4)
Georgia 4 out of 26 games (plus 1 on 10/4)
Kentucky 8 out of 27 games
LSU 0 games since 2014 (the first will be this weekend) - out of 26 games
Mizzou 8 games out of 25 (and one on 10/3)
Ole Miss 7 out of 26 games (and one on 10/4)
MSU 4 out of 27 games (including UK this weekend)
South Carolina 7 out of 27 games (and one on 10/1 and one on 10/3)
Tennessee 8 out of 26 games (and one on 10/4)
ATM 4 out of 28 games (and one on 10/1)
Vandy 8 out of 27 games (and one on 10/1)

There are 14 teams in the conference.
Six have played fewer DAY games in September on the SEC Network (and if you count the first four days of October, five have played fewer).
Seven have played MORE day games in September on the SEC Network.

We are literally right in the middle of the conference - not some disproportionate outlier.

OK, how about overall games?

OVERALL DAY GAMES in AUG/SEP SINCE 2014 - not counting early October - I'll count it a day game if it starts prior to 5pm
Alabama - 18 out of 27 games
Arkansas - 17 out of 27 games
Auburn - 10 out of 27 games
Florida - 11 out of 25 games
UGA - 16 out of 26 games
UK - 12 out of 27 games
LSU - 5 out of 26 games
Mizzou - 14 out of 25
Ole Miss - 15 out of 26
MSU - 11 out of 27 games
SCAR - 12 out of 27
TENN - 17 out of 26 games
ATM - 12 out of 28 games
Vandy - 17 out of 27 games (and all started prior to 4 pm)

So we can establish a few things here:
1) Alabama HAS played the most day games early since 2014.
2) They have NOT played an unusually high number of games on the SEC Network itself.
3) Alabama, Arky, Tenn, and Vandy have close to the same number of games at the top (e.g there's not a substantial difference among those with the most games)
4) LSU sticks out like a sore thumb with only five.....and Auburn is second with only 10. While Florida does have a mere 11 games, they've also played the fewest games in the SEC in September (not substantially lower, no).

AUG/SEPT CONFERENCE GAMES SINCE 2014 - time of day matters not, includes all games of Sept 2019
Alabama - 9
Arkansas - 9
Auburn - 11
Florida - 14
UGA - 12
UK - 15
LSU - 9
Mizzou - 7
Ole Miss - 10
MSU - 12
SCAR - 18
TENN - 8
ATM - 11
Vandy - 11

=======================

So, Florida - the team with the fewest overall games in these months (25) and third fewest day games (11).....is 3rd in conf games with 14. This points in a direction: one thing we CAN observe with the teams that have the MOST SEC games early is that they have an out of conference rival they face at the end of the season. With four weeks in November (most years), these teams spend two playing OOCs while the AL and MS teams have their intrastate bowl games.

SCAR - Clemson and cupcake (I hear the strains of "Crimson and Clover" as I type this.......)
Florida - Cupcake and Cupcake named FSU
UK - cupcake and Louisville (except for 2017)
UGA - cupcake and Tech

There's also no rhyme nor reason to MSU's schedule (by which I mean consistency). They played LSU in September in 2014-17 and then the game got moved the next two years.

An amusing thing is the case of Tennessee, who has played Florida and UGA in back-to-back weeks THREE times since 2014 (going 2-4 and winning those two games on a comeback for the ages that was followed a week later by the Double Hail Mary against UGA).

==========================

Now.....having said all that.......do we play a "disproportionate" number of Sept day games? Maybe slightly, I'll grant that. It seems to me the MUCH bigger issue isn't how many day games we play, it's how few LSU plays. But it should also be noted a lot of it depends entirely on which OTHER games are on the same day, too.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
After the SEC announced LSU will play the next two games at 11 a.m., the LSU fans are all of a sudden upset about things. Weird how that works.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The best quotes came from a Bama fan:

“ I hope it is hot as hell that day”

“ what time do y’all start drinking for an 11 am kickoff”
They don't stop drinking from the night before, so no problem... :cool2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.