UA Administration Starting to Voice Displeasure with So Many Daytime Games

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Sure as hell didn't stop them from trying to use Alabama as a sacrifice to Fulmer back in 2001 and 2002. This conference just can't deal with the fact that Alabama is who it is, and everyone else is a Johnny Come Lately. Worst part is, Alabama also allows it happen.
Why do they (PTB) hate Alabama? Do they give Bama these times, just like at least 6 teams used to have "BYE" weeks before playing Alabama?

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Yes, but that wasn’t the point. The point is that fans don’t like the inconvenience of an 11am game in September. Tickets scanned clearly proves that.

Byrne is trying to get more fans in the stadium and more money in Tuscaloosa. That ain’t happening if all you get is breakfast games and scorchers. Meanwhile teams like LSU and Auburn are getting night game after night game and fuller stadiums because of it. Alabama has been a team player about this for far too long. It’s gotten to the point in which they really should start to making threats to the SECN and the SEC as a whole to get fairer treatment. There was a reason most Bama PPV games in September were at night.
Great point that Alabama should make some demands. It took a lot of noise from Coach Saban to get some or our opponents in conference to not ALWAYS HAVE A BYE before they play us. One season, I believe 6 teams on the schedule had a bye the week before. And LSU and us almost always have a bye prior to it, I'm assuming due to LSU demanding it, and the league giving it to Bama too, as a consolation.

Who's in Baton Rouge? Texas and DKR Memorial Stadium superintendents sure didn't care....

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Why do they (PTB) hate Alabama? Do they give Bama these times, just like at least 6 teams used to have "BYE" weeks before playing Alabama?
I don't know, but it goes back a long time. I've watched officials make calls not in Alabama's favor, where it was clear to everyone there, they were wrong. The era of instant replay has curbed some of that, but, I'm not the best source, as a Tide alum and lifelong fan.

I will say that the hate was more obvious around the turn of the century. Just before 2000, and immediately after, when the program was mired in mediocrity, to put it mildly, it was quite obvious that Tennessee was given a lot of special treatment, and others were too. Again, I don't know why, other than the obvious dark, shadowy, internet conspiracy stuff.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Check how many day games LSU has had to play...

Case in point, they are playing the mighty Northwestern St. at 6:30....
Could it be that Baton Rouge and Louisiana in general just has an appeal to the night game, rowdy, drunken party, that us fine Christian folks in Alabama would never partake in? I'm kind of serious here in my point. Alabama is a painfully conservative state, in public. In the shadows, there's nothing conservative about this place. Check the average politicians internet browser history, if you dare :D

I just think that perhaps a lot of this goes back to a fanbase that used to fill that stadium that had to hurry home after a ball game so as to be prepared to head down to the church-house on Sunday morning. I DO NOT WANT TO OFFEND ANY OF THE FAITHFUL HERE ON TIDEFANS, of which I consider myself one. But, might it go back to those origins?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I've gotten to where I just won't go to 11am games. We have to leave at least by 8am at the latest just to make the game, much less be able to do anything before and afterwards you're so hot you're just ready to go home. At least night games we can hang out, eat locally and we get home before midnight so it's more worth it to me. Save 11am for the crappy games way late in the season, not when it feels like we're literally living in hell while watching a football game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, but that wasn’t the point. The point is that fans don’t like the inconvenience of an 11am game in September. Tickets scanned clearly proves that.

Byrne is trying to get more fans in the stadium and more money in Tuscaloosa. That ain’t happening if all you get is breakfast games and scorchers. Meanwhile teams like LSU and Auburn are getting night game after night game and fuller stadiums because of it. Alabama has been a team player about this for far too long. It’s gotten to the point in which they really should start to making threats to the SECN and the SEC as a whole to get fairer treatment. There was a reason most Bama PPV games in September were at night.
If it is just about fans being too lazy to get up early enough for an 11am game, I could not care less. Let Byrne and the fans pound sand. If this is about the heat, then I get it.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Well the numbers point to most fans hating 11am September games than September 8pm games.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...ic-disappointment-with-football-tv-times.html

It is true 11 am and 815 games are the worst times, but 11 am are by far the worst. Most Alabama fans want More September games in the 6pm time slot than any other for non SEC games.
That is what I said, "....many Bama fans don't want 11am CT start time in Sept". So, we agree - at least on that point :smile:. Btw, I agree with the sentiment expressed by the University admin and the vast majority of the posters in this thread as one could see from my numerous "Thank"s and "Like"s. Alabama is a benevolent "flagship" institution, always has been. The "schedule better" complaint by some is sometimes misguided, sometimes just an excuse to further an agenda.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If it is just about fans being too lazy to get up early enough for an 11am game, I could not care less. Let Byrne and the fans pound sand. If this is about the heat, then I get it.
Again, LSU has had 12 G5 home games in September since 2014.... ALL 12 have been NIGHT games. Alabama has also had 12... 11 have been DAY games.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
It's the heat and now it's also about the inequity. Southerners may be relatively lazy (can't believe you put that out there, you are usually quite the diplomat :smile:) but not when it comes to football.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Heat stroke kills more people than lightning. If there is lightning in the area, the game is delayed until it is safe to play. Why is there not a similar condition placed when the heat index is above a certain degree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's the heat and now it's also about the inequity. Southerners may be relatively lazy (can't believe you put that out there, you are usually quite the diplomat :smile:) but not when it comes to football.
Never said that Southerners are lazy. My wife is from Alabama - no one would ever accuse anyone in her family of being lazy. Just saying that complaining about getting up early enough to watch an 11am game reeks of lassitude. Maybe you guys need to get to bed earlier? ;)

As for the inequity - I get it. But you guys are famous for saying that life isn't fair. :biggrin2:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Let him keeping popping off so his mockingbird mouth overloads his hummingbird rear end. Come December he’ll be the one asking Kristi “how do you spell guru? I need it for my resume’.....”
So Cecil Hurt responded on Finebaum. I saw a clip of it on Twitter. LOL, classic Cecil. With the very slightest hint of sarcasm he basically said he agreed with Gus and hoped that Auburn would play every single one of its games at 11:00 AM, because Auburn needed the extra prep time and it was only fair.

Seriously, this has turned into absurdity because God forbid Alabama have the audacity to mention the fact it is being treated unfairly.

I do look forward to the Auburn game this November.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Again, LSU has had 12 G5 home games in September since 2014.... ALL 12 have been NIGHT games. Alabama has also had 12... 11 have been DAY games.
This, so much this.

I can't believe I hear so many commentators simply omitting this.

LSU even got the CBS game time moved so they could play at home, at night. It's nonsense, what did LSU do to warrant such special consideration? On the other hand, Alabama has to always play day games? It isn't much to ask for something closer to an even split, this isn't an unreasonable expectation and anyone who says otherwise is either pushing an agenda or likes the fact that Alabama is getting screwed.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
And to confirm what others have said about Saturday's heat....I've been going to Alabama games for over 50 years. I've never been to one that hot. Mrs. Basket Case and I are in the west upper deck, virtually always in the shade. I can't imagine what the east side must have been like.
In the 30 years I've attended games, I've never been to one that hot.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.