UA Administration Starting to Voice Displeasure with So Many Daytime Games

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
The Conference is not letting its broadcasting partners do something that harms the Conference. The question is how long Alabama continues to quietly suck it up for the good of the "team". I just wanna make sure folk know this is not some sort of Alabama vendetta... the Conference is looking after the health of the conference.
I'm hard pressed to agree with you. I point to Cecil Hurts' tweet (paraphrased): "since 2014 Alabama has had 12 non-conference September games in BDS and only 1 has been at night. During the same period LSU has also hosted 12 non-conference games and all 12 have been at night."

No team has played more September day games than Alabama. If it is not a vendetta, it certainly has all the characteristic of a bias, and an indefensible one at that. Similar to the open date before playing Alabama issue that existed for so long. We only got relief by calling out the conference leadership in public. Apparently we're taking that approach again to attempt to resolve yet another inequity imposed by 'The Conference' and it's partners.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Serious question: Who determines kickoff times? Is it the conference or the various TV networks?

In other words, assuming they were of a mind to (a great leap of faith, I know), would current contracts allow the conference to say, "Sorry, ESPN2, Alabama already played two daytime games in September. You'll have to choose someone else."

And to confirm what others have said about Saturday's heat....I've been going to Alabama games for over 50 years. I've never been to one that hot. Mrs. Basket Case and I are in the west upper deck, virtually always in the shade. I can't imagine what the east side must have been like.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If the weather is as bad as this past Saturday and we did have several fans carted off due to heat exhaustion and possibly heat stroke, he really needs to step up and say that we are moving the game to night game due to player and spectator safety and the TV guys can work it out, period.

If Saban wants better fan support, then the athletic department needs to take care of the fans.

(This is no way a condemnation of any remarks made the athletic staff at this point. Just making an observation.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll admit I know very little about how this works, but if it were as simple as you say that's probably what we'd do.

But I'm pretty sure we are in a very lucrative contract with ESPN and they drive the car not us.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
That the press picked Saturday to even broach the topic of students/fans leaving early was ludicrous. I felt for anyone who chose to put themselves through it.

Our lack of home night games in general is disappointing over the last 10 years. Seems like we average one a season at BDS.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The irony is that most fans want the earlier start times so they can get back home at a decent time. Understandably, when it's this hot fans want the cooler start times. Of course the AD limited the timeframe to Sept. It's not as easy as it might look.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The irony is that most fans want the earlier start times so they can get back home at a decent time. Understandably, when it's this hot fans want the cooler start times. Of course the AD limited the timeframe to Sept. It's not as easy as it might look.
Sure it is - just look at how many B1G games are played at noon Eastern, 11am Central. You guys don't want the 11am start times.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
One problem with that logic.... Auburn vs Tulane and Tennessee vs BYU were both on when Texas and LSU were on. Even if it was all to get more views on one particular game there are better time slots than 11 am
Why air Tulane and LSU at the same time? I know Tulane doesn’t have a lot of viewers, but it is some who are probably also interested in seeing LSU.

Or maybe Tulane fans are busy sticking pins in the voodoo doll of whoever had the bright idea to leave the SEC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I have one simple answer for young Mr. Byrne and our athletic administration—SCHEDULE BETTER OPPONENTS. If you do, you will get more late start games with big network coverage and more of us fans will attend and support games in September. Do the opposite and you will have more of the same.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I have one simple answer for young Mr. Byrne and our athletic administration—SCHEDULE BETTER OPPONENTS. If you do, you will get more late start games with big network coverage and more of us fans will attend and support games in September. Do the opposite and you will have more of the same.

The only reason everyone is caterwauling about "better opponents" is because we're that good.

Who are we supposed to be playing? I know Joe Goodman of al.com has a piece saying Army would play us, but where are the quality teams we should be playing?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think this past game put several adults in the hospital and possibly a death that may have not been directly heat related but certainly wasn't helped by the conditions.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The only reason everyone is caterwauling about "better opponents" is because we're that good.

Who are we supposed to be playing? I know Joe Goodman of al.com has a piece saying Army would play us, but where are the quality teams we should be playing?
Oh please.

It’s really very simple—schedule better games and you attract better network coverage in the evening hours AND more fans will show up at the stadium. Schedule high school opponents and you produce the opposite effect.

I assure you that I’m not the only fan of this program that lives within 100 miles of the university that sat on his wallet the first two games. There are thousands of us.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I see a lot of twits acting like this is about the players but clearly the university is tired of creating a public health/safety crisis of their own creation for the fans. Most importantly as Cecil Hurt was likely informed to spread: LSU has 13 scheduled September night games in a time period where Alabama has played 14 September day games. And you are playing yourself if you think there is a discernible difference in Alabama and LSU September schedules from 2014 to present.

Alabama gets stuck in these time slots more often mainly due to the SEC Network which means effectively the conference itself is electing to make them play a morning game when they already have their rights and could put them at night.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Oh please.

It’s really very simple—schedule better games and you attract better network coverage in the evening hours AND more fans will show up at the stadium. Schedule high school opponents and you produce the opposite effect.
So do you care about winning national championships and SEC championships?

And FWIW scheduling is not as simple as you believe.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Oh please.

Better to play in the heat than take on an even more difficult schedule.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This has nothing to do with schedule strength and everything to do with the SEC Network effectively getting their subpar time slots floated by Alabama.

Made it bigger because some folks are melvins that can't see the forest for the trees but they might see 48pt font.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This has nothing to do with schedule strength and everything to do with the SEC Network effectively getting their subpar time slots floated by Alabama.
We all got together for the aTm game last year. Kick-off time: 2:30 Central. It certainly is not all about the opponent.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
2:30 CBS game is whatever but without even looking I feel confident in saying a majority of our home September day kicks are 11am/3pm SECN games

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
If we were playing power 5 teams instead of New Mexico State and Western Carolina....say instead, Kansas State and Virginia maybe theyd move some of them to an evening game. Even Saban said he wanted all power 5 teams if they could.

We schedule who we can schedule, I get that, but these poor opponents dont help the case...especially like this weekend when ND and Georgia play in prime time.

Now, with LSU almost always getting the night slot no matter who they play and Bama almost never getting the night game leads one to believe there is certainly a biased...why couldn't they have 6 of 12 and Bama have 6 of 12...equitable.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.