Alabama: Did not like CNS antics in presser after game...

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Re: Did not like CNS antics in pressconf after game

You would think they could come up with better questions. How many times do they ask any coach, "What can you learn from a game like this?" If you can't come up with better questions or continue to ask rhetorical questions don't ask any at all.
It would be funny if Saban answered "I learned that you will ask me the same question over and over"

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Unless there was some history with some of reporters asking questions, I thought the question on "what can you learn from this game" was innocent enough.

The other one regarding centers was outright obnoxious answer ... nobody knew that Dickerson is playing center becos both centers were injured. I follow pretty closely and I didnt know Chris Owens was injured. Also it was valid question since they were shuffling on Oline due to Duke ineptitude.

MAybe he was angry with how the game went or something
Get a message to Miss Terry, I’m sure she will address it! Poor Nick!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

The "what can you learn" question was perfectly innocuous - not a stupid question.
When you ask "What CAN you learn from a game like this?" you are insinuating, "Why did you play this extremely weak team and what was the point? ". If you ask "What DID you learn today from this game?", you are asking a more direct question about the team and their performance in that game. You get a response like you did from the "Scheduling" question with the former question.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

The Nick Saban Presser is a phenomenon. I love them can't really imagine any Tide fan not loving every minute of them.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018

The Nick Saban Presser is a phenomenon. I love them can't really imagine any Tide fan not loving every minute of them.
agree looking back I love it but the time I heard it first I am like why is being so obnoxious

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

agree looking back I love it but the time I heard it first I am like why is being so obnoxious
I don't know where you have been since the rest of the nation has sobered up after the jubilation of Clemson thumping Bama, but all I have heard since then was how pathetic Bama's non conference schedule for this season is, and for that matter schedule period. I know if I am tired of hearing about it coach Saban has to be too. ;)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I'm curious how many CNS PCs you've seen over the years? This is not him being "obnoxious" at all. He's very well known for having similar "lectures" to the press.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

You would think they could come up with better questions. How many times do they ask any coach, "What can you learn from a game like this?" If you can't come up with better questions or continue to ask rhetorical questions don't ask any at all.
Let’s face it. CNS saw this question for what it was; a thinly veiled version of “why aren’t you playing a tougher opponent?” Funny, you think Lincoln Riley was asked a similar question after their South Dakota victory? You think the lead in question next week for other coaches playing G5 cupcakes will be “why aren’t you playing someone better?” Probably not.

It’s old. It’s tired. CNS has stated time and again his preference for playing an all Power 5 schedule with a minimum of 9 conference games. They (media) need to let it go.

The “attendance” questions need to go away as well. It is well established CNS wants capacity crowds that are there to the end. But CNS doesn’t control that, nor the conference tv schedule, nor the weather. All he can do is have his team prepared to play at the time and on the day scheduled. And by the way, attendance at games across college football is an issue, not just at Alabama. It is only made worse when games against “Cupcake U.” are played in the middle of day when heat indexes are not only extreme, but dangerous as well.
If you want an answer to that question, go ask Byrne about that. If they want to know why the conference insists “frying” Alabama fans in September afternoon games, go ask Sankey.

Ask. Better. Questions.

Last edited:

tidenative

Scout Team
Sep 25, 2016

^^^^^This, stop sniffing glue everyone else!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I'm curious how many CNS PCs you've seen over the years? This is not him being "obnoxious" at all. He's very well known for having similar "lectures" to the press.
And they need to be lectured. Apparently they never got that from their professors while pursuing their degree. A Cecil Hurt is extremely rare.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Unless there was some history with some of reporters asking questions, I thought the question on "what can you learn from this game" was innocent enough.

The other one regarding centers was outright obnoxious answer ... nobody knew that Dickerson is playing center becos both centers were injured. I follow pretty closely and I didnt know Chris Owens was injured. Also it was valid question since they were shuffling on Oline due to Duke ineptitude.

MAybe he was angry with how the game went or something
I really don't have any issues with his answer after the game. There was rumors that week that Dickerson was going to start... so it wasn't well kept secret....

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

And they need to be lectured. Apparently they never got that from their professors while pursuing their degree. A Cecil Hurt is extremely rare.
Do people every listen closely to Cecil? You can tell Cecil has earned CNS’s respect over the years. Cecil will ask quality questions with the intent of really “wanting to understand” and gain insight and knowledge about the team, the program and the players. CNS gets it and actually appreciates it.

Some of these guys are only thinking about “how can I ask him a question that makes me look smart?” {go back to the bonehead during fall camp that asked him about “12 package” or in the “20 package” or something along those lines}.

Many could learn a bunch from Cecil.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

As has been said above, the question was basically snarky. If the questioner is so dense that he didn't realize that it was, then perhaps he's in the wrong profession. The rest of the problem is that Saban has been beaten over the head with it literally for months now - and giving the same answer - that we can only play the teams which will agree to play us. Despite all the "we want Bama" crap, there's not a long line waiting on the opportunity. It's the reason neither of Saban's scheduling proposals has a chance. Teams don't want the nightmare of being ordered to play Bama. If the questioner didn't anticipate what was coming then he deserved what he got...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Something I have learned in life. Let me preface this comment with the statement that I attend church every time the doors are opened and hold Christian values. However: I do not want a Sunday School teacher for a Lawyer, elected official, policeman, coach or any other thing which I am dependent on them for protection and or/service. I want the lawyer, official, policeman, coach & etc. to fight down and dirty for me. Now if the other side is using Sunday School teachers then, fine, I will too. So while I don't always like the words I see and hear coming from the GOAT I don't complain cause he ain't my SS teacher.
Well said.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I'm just waiting for the day when, in the post game press conference, he answers every question with one word like "Yes", "No", "Maybe", "Probably", "Depends"........

"Coach is there anything you can learn from playing a game like this?"

"Yes.....next question."

"Coach, what led to Dickerson starting at center?"

"Injuries...next question."

"How pleased were you with play of your true freshman inside linebackers?"

"Very...next question."

There would be an absolute meltdown by the talking heads of college football.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.