Time for Bama to excise some demons from the past (2010 game) - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Time for Bama to excise some demons from the past (2010 game)

I'd be curious what the models would say if you put the stats for this game in. How often, given these stats, would you expect Alabama to win or South Carolina win.

I remember seeing a stat like after the Clemson game where it said Clemson would be expected something like 75% of the time.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I had forgotten that on 9/29/2001 we lost to USCe in Columbia 37-36. Lou Holtz vs Franchione.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    Didn't Julio catch a line drive TD pass just a few days after having surgery on one of his hands?
    No, this was actually the game where Julio broke his hand. He broke it on his first reception and run in the 1st quarter, then finished the game with 8 catches for 118 yards and a TD. I think that's the TD you're referring to. So he got 7 of those catches and 104 yards and a TD with a broken hand.
    Last edited by rtrbama1; September 13th, 2019 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rtrbama1 View Post
    No, this was actually the game Julio broke his hand. He broke it on his first reception and run in the 1st quarter, then finished the games with 8 catches for 118 yards and a TD. I think that's the TD you're referring to. So he got 7 of those catches and 104 yards and a TD with a broken hand.
    Julio is a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American

Was there for that one. The defense was awful. Tyler Watts played his best ever ... Great atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I had forgotten that on 9/29/2001 we lost to USCe in Columbia 37-36. Lou Holtz vs Franchione.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    Was there for that one. The defense was awful. Tyler Watts played his best ever ... Great atmosphere.
    I was as well...and you are correct. No toughness on d that day.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-SEC
    Probably physically in an airport somewhere, but in Tuscaloosa in spirit

I didnít realize anyone had taxing authority over supernatural beings. Quick, tell Gov. Ivey...

BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah 63:1 View Post
    I didnít realize anyone had taxing authority over supernatural beings. Quick, tell Gov. Ivey...

Rest easy Isaiah...strictly hyperbole

"They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    Watts was fantastic in that offense.

BamaNation All-SEC

That game unfairly gets pegged as Garcia having some kind of miracle game. Granted, he had a very good game, but it was one of 4 very good games in a row he played. He actually had a better game statistically the week before vs auburn, and then threw for more yards the next two weeks. It's unfair to Garcia & USC to say Bama just caught him on a hot day, they really caught him in the midst of a hot streak. Over a 4-game stretch he went 83 of 112 (74%) for 1173 yds & 10 TDs. Those numbers don't seem great by today's standards, but in 2010 at USC (which was surprisingly a running team under Spurrier), those were outstanding numbers.

That 2010 game was lost simply because Bama did not run the ball well and USC did run the ball well (at least they ran it well enough) and Bama had some kicking woes (missed short FG, missed extra point, 15-yard punt), plus Bama had no answer for Alshon Jeffery who averaged 18.1 yards per catch. He and Lattimore were arguably more damaging to Bama than Garcia, who threw several jump balls that Jeffery was able to come down with. Lattimore had a business-like 93 yards rushing & 16 yards receiving with 3 TDs.

If there was a key play in the game it was McElroy's fumble. Bama had the ball near midfield, 1st & 10, down 14-3. Had they scored there it's 14-10 or 14-6 and possibly a different game. Instead, McElroy is sacked and fumbles & USC takes over with great field position and scores to go up 21-3. At that point Bama was playing uphill much of the rest of the game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I'd be curious what the models would say if you put the stats for this game in. How often, given these stats, would you expect Alabama to win or South Carolina win.

I remember seeing a stat like after the Clemson game where it said Clemson would be expected something like 75% of the time.
    I believe these stats demonstrate that we need to play in the East.
    From 247Sports- https://247sports.com/college/alabam...tes-135526235/
    2. Alabama has not lost to an SEC Eastern Division opponent since the Gamecocks defeated the Crimson Tide in 2010, 35-21. Here is Alabama’s record against the SEC East in this decade:

vs Florida, 5-0
    vs Georgia, 3-0
    vs Kentucky, 2-0
    vs Missouri, 3-0
    vs South Carolina, 0-1
    vs Tennessee, 9-0
    vs Vanderbilt, 2-0

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Watts was fantastic in that offense.
    the ut game of 2002 showed it.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Tide&True View Post
    Does anybody remember that game? I do and this elephant didnít forget!

Oh, how I do. We played like garbage that day. Completely. I just hope South Carolina fans enjoyed their 9 years of "dominance" with that 1 game win streak
    ďI know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games.Ē - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.