Time for Bama to excise some demons from the past (2010 game)

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
That possession time is nowhere close to right.
I don't remember the game that well but the passing yards and rushing yards don't look right either. I don't recall GM ever passing for 356 yards and if we only ran for 36 yards well then we should have lost...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That possession time is nowhere close to right.
possession is really UA 32:27 USCe 27:33. Where the other 40 seconds went I have no idea. but it appears everything else is accurate

UA SC
FIRST DOWNS............ 21 20
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)... 29-36 37-110
PASSING YDS (NET)....... .315 201
Passes Att-Comp-Int..... 35-27-0 20-17-1
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS 64-351 57-311
Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards............ 1-28 1-15
Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 7-173 3-70
Interception Returns-Yards.... 1-0 0-0
Punts (Number-Avg)............ 2-34.0 2-41.0
Fumbles-Lost.................. 1-1 3-0
Penalties-Yards............... 5-31 4-34
Possession Time............... 32:27 27:33
Third-Down Conversions........ 5 of 13 6 of 11
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 2 of 3 2 of 2
Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 2-4 4-4
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 1-5 7-40

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/scar/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/scar-ala-book-100910.pdf

Last edited:

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
Does anybody remember that game? I do and this elephant didn’t forget!

I remember it like it was yesterday, our defense made Stephen Garcia look like Tom Brady that dude cut us up all day. With the exception of the Louisiana Monroe game in 2007 and this past January beat down to Clemson I would definitely rank this 2010 Carolina game among our worst losses since Saban has been at Bama.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't remember the game that well but the passing yards and rushing yards don't look right either. I don't recall GM ever passing for 356 yards and if we only ran for 36 yards well then we should have lost...
Those are actually correct. Gmac was sacked for 41 yards, and in college that takes away from rushing yards. In the pros it is on passing yards.

Even if we give them back its USCe 117-64 in rushing yards. A very crappy day of running for us

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The oldest guy with it is late 60s and still got it.

However - and I’m serious - I’ve begun (at 49) to forget some very basic things, and it does concern me a bit.
I had a very, very good memory into my early 30s - not like yours, but far better than average. I could play back my life in my mind. I could literally play back an entire corporate meeting in my mind, word for word. I never had to study because I could read back my notes and text books in my mind.

My memory is now very average - very. Womp Womp :rolleye2:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm going to have to watch this game but the stat that stood out to me was that we were 2 for 4 in the Redzone with 1FG and 1TD while South Carolina went 4 for 4 with 4 TDS.

That's the difference in the game right there. If we score 2TDs instead of getting nothing twice its a tie game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm going to have to watch this game but the stat that stood out to me was that we were 2 for 4 in the Redzone with 1FG and 1TD while South Carolina went 4 for 4 with 4 TDS.

That's the difference in the game right there. If we score 2TDs instead of getting nothing twice its a tie game.
I think it was more of what we couldnt do on offense than what Garcia and Spurrier did on our defense. The fact we were held under 100 yards rushing anyway you slice it with a Mac offense is probably the telltale sign of we are getting beat.

Last edited:

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Those are actually correct. Gmac was sacked for 41 yards, and in college that takes away from rushing yards. In the pros it is on passing yards.

Even if we give them back its USCe 117-64 in rushing yards. A very crappy day of running for us
Yes it is, especially considering the studs we had in the backfield.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If this has been brought up on the thread, I apologize ... But wasn't this the year that an absurd number of our SEC opponents had off weeks before they played us? As someone already stated, even after this loss we were a fake LSU field goal and what should have been a 5- or 6-touchdown halftime lead against Auburn from playing for another national championship. In East Lansing to this day, they still gather around fires and stare at their beers and discuss in muffled tones the atrocities we unleashed against Michigan State that year. I think the United Nations war crimes tribunal got involved.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If this has been brought up on the thread, I apologize ... But wasn't this the year that an absurd number of our SEC opponents had off weeks before they played us? As someone already stated, even after this loss we were a fake LSU field goal and what should have been a 5- or 6-touchdown halftime lead against Auburn from playing for another national championship. In East Lansing to this day, they still gather around fires and stare at their beers and discuss in muffled tones the atrocities we unleashed against Michigan State that year. I think the United Nations war crimes tribunal got involved.
We had 6 scheduled teams coming off of a bye that year, USCe was one of them. The only team to give up their bye was Arkansas. The biggest issue was that in the two week prior to USCe was that we had a shootout in Fayettville, and a big time game vs Florida while USCe had time to lick their wounds from a game against auburn that they shouldve won.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The problem was more severe going into that South Carolina game because we had just gotten finished dismantling Florida in Tuscaloosa. At that time, we all thought Florida was really good, but the truth was they were mediocre in that first season after Tebow. They came in to Tuscaloosa, and truth be told, we played a very uninspired game especially on offense. Yet we ended up dominating because Florida was so mediocre. So the attitude issues were amplified going into Columbia. I think that team thought they were invincible. And... when you think about it... if it weren't for all the injuries they may well have beaten LSU and Auburn. Who knows what happens if that team finishes 11-1. They would have gotten a rematch with South Carolina in Atlanta, and probably drill them into the ground like Auburn did. Then they are playing Oregon in the NC game and probably kill them like they did Michigan State.

So close, yet so far.
Two weeks prior to losing to USC we were lucky to have beaten ARK (Bobby Petrino/Ryan Mallet). They were a good team but lost 3 times. Our 2010 team was an underachieving group and they all admit to it.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I realize, along with all of you, that the current Alabama football team doesn’t remember the 2010 game. However, it does bring back bitter feelings to the fan base. I wonder if CNS will have much to say about it to the players. Even though the current group of Bama players are way better than the 2010 players one would have to be blind to not see the similarities. Highly ranked Bama team comes into their place and no one gave USCe a chance. Our running game/OL could be suspect. They have a young QB who could have a generational game against us. Not saying it will happen but I do see some similarities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Two weeks prior to losing to USC we were lucky to have beaten ARK (Bobby Petrino/Ryan Mallet). They were a good team but lost 3 times. Our 2010 team was an underachieving group and they all admit to it.
Arkansas technically lost 2 games since the Ohio St game was vacated. But that was a Very very good Arkansas team, and possibly the best one since the 1970's. Their two regular season losses were to the defending National champs and the eventual national champs, and they gave both hell.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I realize, along with all of you, that the current Alabama football team doesn’t remember the 2010 game. However, it does bring back bitter feelings to the fan base. I wonder if CNS will have much to say about it to the players. Even though the current group of Bama players are way better than the 2010 players one would have to be blind to not see the similarities. Highly ranked Bama team comes into their place and no one gave USCe a chance. Our running game/OL could be suspect. They have a young QB who could have a generational game against us. Not saying it will happen but I do see some similarities.

I wouldn't doubt for one minute he hasn't told them about that game and what happened. I think the team has heard about it quite a bit, and since this is an SEC game, I think they respond better than in previous weeks. They know what is at stake

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The biggest reason(s) it leaves Bama fans with a bitter taste is that 1) Spurrier once again takes out a highly ranked Bama team and 2) it was one of the few games in which Bama was never in control of the game. Most Bama losses are games in which Bama loses control at a key point. Even the 2012 aTm game we regained control and were 1st and goal but squandered it away very late in the game. 2010 USCe we never had control and never really threathened to gain control. USCe was up by scores twice in the game. Its just one of those games in which Bama fans have a hard time using the common line of "Bama beat themselves"

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I was in Columbia that day and was miserable...we could not get them off the field. They kept throwing at our freshman DB -- and running up the middle to get key 1st downs. I am trying to delete it from my memory bank...but it keeps coming back...like many other key losses.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I remember the game as it was during the same time I was visiting Ground Zero in NYC. GZ was outrageously heartbreaking. The game was icing on the cake for a bummer of a day. :mad:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I remember the game as it was during the same time I was visiting Ground Zero in NYC. GZ was outrageously heartbreaking. The game was icing on the cake for a bummer of a day. :mad:
I supposedly had a 50-yard-line seat at that game, but my friend weirdly gave away his seats. Was bothered at first by what he did. Didn't last long.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Here is a pretty good article that outlines that game from a South Carolina perspective, and also gives you a glimpse of their expectations this weekend

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/carolina/sapakoff-alabama-talk-harmful-for-gamecocks-delusional-fans/article_c7b8b95e-d3cb-11e9-9705-a3e03008808d.html

But the arrival of No. 2 Alabama on the schedule means Delusional Week in Columbia, a time when fans reminisce about a joyful 35-21 upset so close yet so far away.It’s unhealthy to expect a repeat of the unexpected.Or brag about a win notched when most of the current players were in elementary school.It actually happened.Documentation exists.But it’s not as if aliens landed in Columbia nine football seasons ago, as would have to happen in 2019 to start production of a new SEC Network documentary “Miracle on George Rogers Boulevard.”That 2010 game was a very good team that won nine games and the SEC East having a charmed Columbia afternoon against another very good team that won 10 games but finished fourth in the SEC West.The 2019 game is national championship contender Alabama against a 1-1 Gamecock team that will have to scramble to earn a bowl bid.Alabama in 2010 eventually was exposed as not worthy of a No. 1 ranking.The Tide in 2019 features Nick Saban’s best-ever quarterback, Tua Tagovailoa.
[/FONT]
The 2010 game, most people think, was simply about wide receiver Alshon Jeffery winning hand-to-hand combat battles with Alabama’s Mark Barron, running back Marcus Lattimore fighting for 93 yards and two touchdowns and quarterback Stephen Garcia completing 17-of-20 passes on the best football day of his life.
The real story was line play that allowed South Carolina to outrush Alabama, 110-36, while piling up seven sacks to just one sack for the Tide

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'd be curious what the models would say if you put the stats for this game in. How often, given these stats, would you expect Alabama to win or South Carolina win.

I remember seeing a stat like after the Clemson game where it said Clemson would be expected something like 75% of the time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.