What happened to Thursday night college football?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
A few games on tonight.

Already underway:
FIU at La. Tech - (CBSSN)

9pm (ET) games:
(10) Utah at USC - (FS1)
Air Force at (20) Boise State - (ESPN2)
I’m watching the USC game for awhile. Their 2nd string freshman QB took a hard hit. Hope he’s okay. But their 3rd stringer looks really good so far.

I really hope Bama flips Bryce Young for next year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The Thursday night slate is pretty awful this year. Seems like the NFL has successfully wrested that night from college football. ESPN/Disney could be setting up to make a play for TNF in the near future? Fox has a stake in the TNF pie now, so they surely will not try to compete against themselves on Thursdays where they're broadcasting the NFL game. Sure does seem like the power conferences are moving their better weekday game options to Friday...and that is almost certainly due to the broadcasters.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I know in general - because of large fanbases and tailgating culture - that weekly SEC Thursday/Friday games are uninviting to our conference. Still, there has been a lot of consternation about all our day games in late Summer/early Fall when it is hotter than hell outside. Can't deny that kicking off at 6-7pm on Friday would remove 1 lower-tier day game from the Saturday schedule. I just don't think it'll happen because the South has a strong HS football culture too.

Who am I kidding. If ESPN/Disney drives a hard bargain and wants a stronger Friday slate to compete against Fox then you can bet that they'll be requesting these games from the ACC and SEC in the future

Last edited:

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
The Thursday night slate is pretty awful this year. Seems like the NFL has successfully wrested that night from college football. ESPN/Disney could be setting up to make a play for TNF in the near future? Fox has a stake in the TNF pie now, so they surely will not try to compete against themselves on Thursdays where they're broadcasting the NFL game. Sure does seem like the power conferences are moving their better weekday game options to Friday...and that is almost certainly due to the broadcasters.
i agree. I believe up until a few years ago, the nfl only played Thursday night games in the back half of the season, when the college football regular season was winding down. Now that they are playing each week, colleges have backed off. It’s like the older brother picks on the middle brother. So, in turn, the middle one picks on the little one which is why there are now college games on Friday. I absolutely hate that because Friday should be for high school only.

Bazza, that Tulane game was great. Looked like a stinker on the schedule and thru the first Q, but it turned out to be a gem.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.