What happened to Thursday night college football?

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
It wasn't all that long ago that there were some good games played on Thursdays. This week there isn't even one (unless I missed something). Now the best games mostly get crammed altogether on Saturday around the same time.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I'm a huge College football fan and self-described decent gambler :)Joker_PDT_53:), but I may be OK going to the SFHS freshman games on Thursday nights with that lineup!!!

on TideFans.com
It’s pitiful. Wagner, Robert Morris, Gardner-Webb ... c’mon. Anyone know the mascot of these teams without looking them up?

I’ll watch the pros on Thursday nights this year.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I used to look forward to the Thursday night game, but that schedule is horrible. The only one worth watching will be the Egg Bowl Thanksgiving night. Did the NCAA get in cahoots with the NFL and promise to only schedule crud games so everyone will watch the NFL?

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I think the ACC network and ESPN+ took a lot of them, like Clemson's game to start the season.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I used to look forward to the Thursday night game, but that schedule is horrible. The only one worth watching will be the Egg Bowl Thanksgiving night. Did the NCAA get in cahoots with the NFL and promise to only schedule crud games so everyone will watch the NFL?
If I had to guess, the answer is along these lines.

Intentional or not, it happened because the bigger names that agreed to Thursday games 10+ years ago realized the ramifications of NFL games being played on Thursday night.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
If I had to guess, the answer is along these lines.

Intentional or not, it happened because the bigger names that agreed to Thursday games 10+ years ago realized the ramifications of NFL games being played on Thursday night.
I used to enjoy watching Georgia Tech play on Thursday nights back in 2008-2011. Seemed like they played almost every Thursday, and it was interesting watching Paul Johnson try and run his weird flexbone offense in a D1 conference. It was usually on just after one of my labs and my lab partner and myself would walk down to the Strip to watch. Now GT sucks, Paul Johnson is gone, nobody good plays on Thursday nights, and I haven’t been in college in years. Oh how the wheel turns.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
They start next week and it’ll last til the end of the season.

The more marquee weekday games will be on Friday Night now though which makes sense given the rise of Thursday Night NFL Football.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
That game was pretty wild, loved it. I also really like Pat McAfee's commentary, as unorthodox as it may be :D

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Went to my son's game and forgot to look for a game after I got home. We had our first rain in September yesterday and last evening was the first evening in which we had somewhat civilized temperatures this month.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.