A boy was bullied for his homemade UT shirt, so the school rallied

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
That was talked about a LOT in my office today. It’s a cool story and right now it’s all the Vols have.

I’ll NOT be wearing one of those shirts.

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL
They should give that stuff away to all elementary school children in an attempt to develop some brand loyalty. Not getting it from their football team, and I imagine that merchandise is just sitting on the shelves anyway...

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
That's great and everything and I would hate for my daughters to experience "bullying." BUT, if you're going to scribble on a sheet of paper and stick it to a shirt, some blowback should be expected. I know the guys I grew up with would give me grief if I had done something like that and I would have been expecting it.

Not saying it's good or right but sometimes you gotta just say, well, I missed getting to wear the spirit shirt and will just catch it next time. ... OR be ready that not everyone is going to be on board with your homemade efforts.

Common sense is not common, though.

All that said, it's cool how UT & players responded. Good move on their part.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That's great and everything and I would hate for my daughters to experience "bullying." BUT, if you're going to scribble on a sheet of paper and stick it to a shirt, some blowback should be expected. I know the guys I grew up with would give me grief if I had done something like that and I would have been expecting it.

Not saying it's good or right but sometimes you gotta just say, well, I missed getting to wear the spirit shirt and will just catch it next time. ... OR be ready that not everyone is going to be on board with your homemade efforts.

Common sense is not common, though.

All that said, it's cool how UT & players responded. Good move on their part.
I agree, but also understand how a kid could be so passionate about his team that he wouldn't want to miss a spirit day. I just wonder what went wrong in this kid's life that he is subjected to being a Vols fan. :biggrin:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I agree, but also understand how a kid could be so passionate about his team that he wouldn't want to miss a spirit day. I just wonder what went wrong in this kid's life that he is subjected to being a Vols fan. :biggrin:
Well that and hit up a Goodwill on $2 day

I hate mean kids. But life says that some people suck. Especially kids at that age. At some point the parent should have stepped up and said something before

Do your best to avoid those people. It’s why I don’t wear Bama gear in Louisiana when I want to negotiate buying a car :)

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
... I just wonder what went wrong in this kid's life that he is subjected to being a Vols fan. :biggrin:
No words except the NYTimes quoting his teacher

After lunch, he came back to my room, put his head on his desk and was crying,” she continued. “Some girls at the lunch table next to his (who didn’t even participate in college colors day) had made fun of his sign that he had attached to his shirt.
Fashion design is the best revenge, we could be talking a future Rocky Top Volsace, er, Versace here...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
For me this story is all about an indictment against bullying than anything having to do with 10Rc.

It makes me happy knowing this kid had others stand up for him.

The fact that it is college football-related just gives us a vehicle to place the story in our forum.

As adults, we have the ability to change someone's life. Especially when it's the disadvantaged.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Kid's got a scholly waiting for him now.........

Vols offer scholarship to bullied T-shirt creator

A fourth-grade Florida boy who was bullied at school for wearing a homemade Tennessee Volunteers T-shirt can now draw up his college plans, courtesy of the university.

Tennessee announced Thursday that it has extended an offer of admission and a four-year scholarship -- for the Class of 2032 -- to the elementary school student in Altamonte Springs, Florida.

The university will cover the cost of the boy's scholarship if he chooses to attend the school and meets all admission requirements.

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
I know people on here just hate UT with the heat of 1000 hells.....but come on.....Who knows what this kid's family can and cannot afford? or maybe he forgot and didn't want to be left out of spirit day. I refuse to hate and think what UT did was a good thing.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I just wonder what went wrong in this kid's life that he is subjected to being a Vols fan. :biggrin:
The worst part is, he hasn’t even been alive during a time when Tenn had a winning program. It is straight sadism to raise a kid as a Viola fan today. [emoji6]

In all seriousness, nice gesture by the university and the players. Although the scholarship is a little overboard imo...

Let’s also remember that everyone involved here is a 4th grader.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.