My view on 9/11 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My view on 9/11

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar

Re: My view on 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Maybe I am just tired of having it shoved down my throat that I am not a good American if I don’t bow down every military person I see or participate in some patriotic display (and not just standing during the anthem). Maybe I am just a jerk.
    Maybe you're just a cranky old man. Welcome to the club.

I agree btw

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I cannot tell you what you should say.....or how you should feel - that is not my place.

But you should know that those in the military do what they do in order for you to have the freedom to say and feel however you want.

What you do with that freedom is your business and no one else's, IMHO.
    I honor the men and women in the military for their service, but a lot of the deadly foreign misadventures our politicians have sent them to fight have done very little to protect our freedom.

Just my opinion.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    I honor the men and women in the military for their service, but a lot of the deadly foreign misadventures our politicians have sent them to fight have done very little to protect our freedom.

Just my opinion.
    Having served in Afghanistan (I was en route to Uzbekistan in October 2001), I can say that, in hindsight, the smart play was to overthrow the Taliban, put Karzai in charge and the pack up and leave and tell the Afghans of whatever political bent, "Don't make us come back down here and kick your tails again, which we will if you let al Qaeda set up shot here again."
    Instead, we are living Charlie Wilson's War, that stupid movie about a stupid policy suggestion ("Stay and rebuild Afghanistan"). There is probably not enough money in the world to "fix" Afghanistan. If Afghanistan was a horse, they'd shoot it in the head to put it out of its misery.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Having served in Afghanistan (I was en route to Uzbekistan in October 2001), I can say that, in hindsight, the smart play was to overthrow the Taliban, put Karzai in charge and the pack up and leave and tell the Afghans of whatever political bent, "Don't make us come back down here and kick your tails again, which we will if you let al Qaeda set up shot here again."
    Instead, we are living Charlie Wilson's War, that stupid movie about a stupid policy suggestion ("Stay and rebuild Afghanistan"). There is probably not enough money in the world to "fix" Afghanistan. If Afghanistan was a horse, they'd shoot it in the head to put it out of its misery.
    my brother did multiple tours in afghanistan and then in iraq starting about the same time. from fall 01 until 2011-12 he was either deployed or at home stateside prepping for his next deployment. due to a paperwork snafu, he was almost sent back to afghanistan in '13, but luckily that got resolved before he had to leave.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Absolutely this! It was and is a country in name only. The SOW was totally impossible...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

ďI would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.Ē Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

I have very mixed emotions every 11 September.

People I know where killed, so I always attend a ceremony and get teary-eyed.

I detest the big government that gets us into unnecessarily expensive and bloody nation building. I detest the politicians who bathe in the glory of someone else's battlefield heroism.

I respect service men and women who are in and have been to battle, and my wife and I give to charities that support them.

Service members who just serve a bureaucratic function .... meh. I don't dislike these people, but I don't believe in blanket over-the-top respect. Just like the stranger who is a lawyer or bartender or payroll clerk, I view the bureaucrat in green with indifference.

A few years after the attacks, I was working in corporate finance, and about this time of year I took my underlings on a team building and reward trip to Annapolis. I used my expense account to rent a boat, have lunch catered, and watch the Blue Angels perform. As we were making our way to the marina, we encountered some anti-military protesters. Their hatred for Bush was so misguided that they were profanely protesting the existence of the Naval Academy and wishing the Blue Angels would crash. I have nothing but contempt for these moronic beta antifa forerunners. One should not have unquestioned blanket respect for the military (or anything), but having blanket hatred ......
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post

I detest the big government that gets us into unnecessarily expensive and bloody nation building. I detest the politicians who bathe in the glory of someone else's battlefield heroism.

I respect service men and women who are in and have been to battle, and my wife and I give to charities that support them.

Service members who just serve a bureaucratic function .... meh. I don't dislike these people, but I don't believe in blanket over-the-top respect. Just like the stranger who is a lawyer or bartender or payroll clerk, I view the bureaucrat in green with indifference.

A few years after the attacks, I was working in corporate finance, and about this time of year I took my underlings on a team building and reward trip to Annapolis. I used my expense account to rent a boat, have lunch catered, and watch the Blue Angels perform. As we were making our way to the marina, we encountered some anti-military protesters. Their hatred for Bush was so misguided that they were profanely protesting the existence of the Naval Academy and wishing the Blue Angels would crash. I have nothing but contempt for these moronic beta antifa forerunners. One should not have unquestioned blanket respect for the military (or anything), but having blanket hatred ......
    It’s the occasional post like this that make me think we could be best friends.

The overall detestation for morons of all kinds makes me think you aren’t that bad a guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    We're going to have insurance for everybody, there was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.They can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better. Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Source
    Can you guess which quote branded a president as a habitual liar?

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post

I always hated the cheerleaders for these freaking wars who would say "thank you for your service" to these men and women in airports, on their way to distant battlefields......yet the well-wishers always had "other priorities" when it came to putting their arse in front of the cannons.

One of my older brothers played college football. He likened these whipper-snappers to the frat boys in the stands who were always exhorting the players to "kick some #sss". He hated Dubya for that John Wayne swagger, "bring 'em on!" Was it someone here who made me spit coffee, saying, "I felt so safe back during Vietnam seeing George Bush fly sorties over my house."

Friends are over rated. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    That ain't all bad.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    imho, security theater and nationalism does more harm to our freedoms than terrorism
    Well then, you are just crazy.

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon