My view on 9/11

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This will probably be an unpopular opinion.

Am I the only one who didn’t get emotional yesterday on the 9/11 anniversary? I didn’t feel particularly sad or anything. I probably wouldn’t even have remembered it if it hadn’t been mentioned so much on social and broadcast media.

I am sorry all those people died. But it was 18 years ago and I have moved on. I didn’t have any friends or family members who died that day.

I fully respect the police and firefighters that rushed into the buildings.

But the day itself doesn’t really do much for me. December 7, 1941, was a bad day but I don’t dwell on it, either. We had a moment of silence at work today and I just stood there.

I don’t know why I feel like this and I am not trying to tell anyone to get over it if they feel differently. It is just how I feel.

Maybe it is the fact we are still in wars over there and nothing is getting accomplished. Maybe it is the overpoliticization (from both sides) about 9/11. Maybe it is the outright bigotry against Muslims I see that came about from that day. Maybe I am just tired of having it shoved down my throat that I am not a good American if I don’t bow down every military person I see or participate in some patriotic display (and not just standing during the anthem). Maybe I am just a jerk.

Anyway, I just wanted to get this off my chest. I would post that on Facebook but then I wouldn’t have any friends left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This will probably be an unpopular opinion.

Am I the only one who didn’t get emotional yesterday on the 9/11 anniversary? I didn’t feel particularly sad or anything. I probably wouldn’t even have remembered it if it hadn’t been mentioned so much on social and broadcast media.

I am sorry all those people died. But it was 18 years ago and I have moved on. I didn’t have any friends or family members who died that day.

I fully respect the police and firefighters that rushed into the buildings.

But the day itself doesn’t really do much for me. December 7, 1941, was a bad day but I don’t dwell on it, either. We had a moment of silence at work today and I just stood there.

I don’t know why I feel like this and I am not trying to tell anyone to get over it if they feel differently. It is just how I feel.

Maybe it is the fact we are still in wars over there and nothing is getting accomplished. Maybe it is the overpoliticization (from both sides) about 9/11. Maybe it is the outright bigotry against Muslims I see that came about from that day. Maybe I am just tired of having it shoved down my throat that I am not a good American if I don’t bow down every military person I see or participate in some patriotic display (and not just standing during the anthem). Maybe I am just a jerk.

Anyway, I just wanted to get this off my chest. I would post that on Facebook but then I wouldn’t have any friends left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That ain't all bad. :wink:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
unfortunately, the there is a lot of the aftermath we have forgotten. and a lot of that is what led us to where we are today

I always remember flying B-52s over the desolate mountains of Afghanistan and dropping bombs in an act of utter futility then the desperate search for WMD's in Iraq. It seems to never change... the middle east is the place where the great imperial powers go to die!

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
As long as you don't stop your two minutes of hate each day then I suppose Big Brother can let this slide.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Someone had to remind me that it was 9/11. That's how meh I was yesterday.

Not that I wanted to discount the horrors of the tragedy, but, yes, it was 18 years ago, and as 92 said, a lot of shady stuff happened afterwards, using the tragedy as a ruse for going to war in a useless, fruitless endeavor. War crimes that went unpunished. I'm talking Dick Cheney. Treason. I'm talking Scooter Libby for outing a clandestine CIA operative.

And I well remember the GOP conventions and the almost mantra use of the terms "September 11th" in their jingo speeches.

I honor the fallen FDNY, police, emergency workers, and the hundreds who died that day. But the whole event has been overshadowed with the cheap veneer of wingnut politics, unjust wars and needless death and destruction of families.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The older I get, the more emotional I get. Before turning 55 or so these days were just another day. But I teared up yesterday watching America strong.

The very first time it happed to me was watching Ken Burn’s Civil War. Seems like that was in the early 90’s. That series made the Civil War much more real for me.

C’67 you’re perfectly normal. I’m an old man that doesn’t manage his emotions as well as he used to.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
---snip---Maybe I am just tired of having it shoved down my throat that I am not a good American if I don’t bow down every military person I see or participate in some patriotic display (and not just standing during the anthem). ---snip---

I cannot tell you what you should say.....or how you should feel - that is not my place.

But you should know that those in the military do what they do in order for you to have the freedom to say and feel however you want.

What you do with that freedom is your business and no one else's, IMHO.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
unfortunately, the there is a lot of the aftermath we have forgotten. and a lot of that is what led us to where we are today

I remember around 2000 finding the website for "Project For a New American Century" and after reading through it the Iraq business was no surprise.

Yes, 9/11 was horrible. I remember getting up that morning and seeing the news of the first plane and sitting in front of the TV for the next 12 hours. I do like the fact that Bid Laden was finally whacked, although if corpses could be reanimated, I would imagine Trump would consider having the Navy dredging the Indian Ocean to undo something Obama did.

When I saw the article about Coach Bryant on ESPN yesterday, though, I thought about him (9/11 is his birthday).

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I remember around 2000 finding the website for "Project For a New American Century" and after reading through it the Iraq business was no surprise.

Yes, 9/11 was horrible. I remember getting up that morning and seeing the news of the first plane and sitting in front of the TV for the next 12 hours. I do like the fact that Bid Laden was finally whacked, although if corpses could be reanimated, I would imagine Trump would consider having the Navy dredging the Indian Ocean to undo something Obama did.

When I saw the article about Coach Bryant on ESPN yesterday, though, I thought about him (9/11 is his birthday).
as soon as bush the lesser was elected i said to my co-workers at the time that we would at war with iraq before the halfway point of his first term

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Maybe I am just tired of having it shoved down my throat that I am not a good American if I don’t bow down every military person I see or participate in some patriotic display (and not just standing during the anthem). Maybe I am just a jerk.
Maybe you're just a cranky old man. Welcome to the club. :)

I agree btw

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I cannot tell you what you should say.....or how you should feel - that is not my place.

But you should know that those in the military do what they do in order for you to have the freedom to say and feel however you want.

What you do with that freedom is your business and no one else's, IMHO.
I honor the men and women in the military for their service, but a lot of the deadly foreign misadventures our politicians have sent them to fight have done very little to protect our freedom.

Just my opinion.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I honor the men and women in the military for their service, but a lot of the deadly foreign misadventures our politicians have sent them to fight have done very little to protect our freedom.

Just my opinion.
Having served in Afghanistan (I was en route to Uzbekistan in October 2001), I can say that, in hindsight, the smart play was to overthrow the Taliban, put Karzai in charge and the pack up and leave and tell the Afghans of whatever political bent, "Don't make us come back down here and kick your tails again, which we will if you let al Qaeda set up shot here again."
Instead, we are living Charlie Wilson's War, that stupid movie about a stupid policy suggestion ("Stay and rebuild Afghanistan"). There is probably not enough money in the world to "fix" Afghanistan. If Afghanistan was a horse, they'd shoot it in the head to put it out of its misery.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Having served in Afghanistan (I was en route to Uzbekistan in October 2001), I can say that, in hindsight, the smart play was to overthrow the Taliban, put Karzai in charge and the pack up and leave and tell the Afghans of whatever political bent, "Don't make us come back down here and kick your tails again, which we will if you let al Qaeda set up shot here again."
Instead, we are living Charlie Wilson's War, that stupid movie about a stupid policy suggestion ("Stay and rebuild Afghanistan"). There is probably not enough money in the world to "fix" Afghanistan. If Afghanistan was a horse, they'd shoot it in the head to put it out of its misery.
my brother did multiple tours in afghanistan and then in iraq starting about the same time. from fall 01 until 2011-12 he was either deployed or at home stateside prepping for his next deployment. due to a paperwork snafu, he was almost sent back to afghanistan in '13, but luckily that got resolved before he had to leave.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Absolutely this! It was and is a country in name only. The SOW was totally impossible...

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I have very mixed emotions every 11 September.

People I know where killed, so I always attend a ceremony and get teary-eyed.

I detest the big government that gets us into unnecessarily expensive and bloody nation building. I detest the politicians who bathe in the glory of someone else's battlefield heroism.

I respect service men and women who are in and have been to battle, and my wife and I give to charities that support them.

Service members who just serve a bureaucratic function .... meh. I don't dislike these people, but I don't believe in blanket over-the-top respect. Just like the stranger who is a lawyer or bartender or payroll clerk, I view the bureaucrat in green with indifference.

A few years after the attacks, I was working in corporate finance, and about this time of year I took my underlings on a team building and reward trip to Annapolis. I used my expense account to rent a boat, have lunch catered, and watch the Blue Angels perform. As we were making our way to the marina, we encountered some anti-military protesters. Their hatred for Bush was so misguided that they were profanely protesting the existence of the Naval Academy and wishing the Blue Angels would crash. I have nothing but contempt for these moronic beta antifa forerunners. One should not have unquestioned blanket respect for the military (or anything), but having blanket hatred ......

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I have very mixed emotions every 11 September.

People I know where killed, so I always attend a ceremony and get teary-eyed.

I detest the big government that gets us into unnecessarily expensive and bloody nation building. I detest the politicians who bathe in the glory of someone else's battlefield heroism.

I respect service men and women who are in and have been to battle, and my wife and I give to charities that support them.

Service members who just serve a bureaucratic function .... meh. I don't dislike these people, but I don't believe in blanket over-the-top respect. Just like the stranger who is a lawyer or bartender or payroll clerk, I view the bureaucrat in green with indifference.

A few years after the attacks, I was working in corporate finance, and about this time of year I took my underlings on a team building and reward trip to Annapolis. I used my expense account to rent a boat, have lunch catered, and watch the Blue Angels perform. As we were making our way to the marina, we encountered some anti-military protesters. Their hatred for Bush was so misguided that they were profanely protesting the existence of the Naval Academy and wishing the Blue Angels would crash. I have nothing but contempt for these moronic beta antifa forerunners. One should not have unquestioned blanket respect for the military (or anything), but having blanket hatred ......
It’s the occasional post like this that make me think we could be best friends.

The overall detestation for morons of all kinds makes me think you aren’t that bad a guy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.