DNC debate - September 12, 2019 - Schedule info and discussion thread

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Hot takes:

Warren and Sanders held their ground well, even if neither one had a standout moment.

Buttigieg had a pretty uneven performance, but he nailed that final answer.

Biden looked like he was sundowning.

Beto received hugs from everyone on stage and will probably see a poll bump, but his answer on confiscation is election cancer.

I used to think Harris was a good candidate, but I rescind that.

Hopefully Klobachar, Yang, Booker, and Castro drop out after October. Klobachar never seems to offer anything other than caution. Yang's gameshow tactic was bizarre. Booker is a weird candidate who I simultaneously like and dislike. Castro did everyone a favor by attacking Biden's age, but came across as an unlikable ass.

New power ranking:

1) Buttigieg
2) Warren
3) Hopefully it doesn't come to this

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I watched the first two hours and had all I could take. The bottom 5 candidates need to be dropped completely and let the country hear something (substantive ?) from the top 5 in the next debate. The setting should be changed with 5 to a more town hall type setting with some of the questions coming from the audience. Let them all sit around in a more relaxed atmosphere and discuss rather than debate. Have them seated close to the audience and the moderators. No opening or closing comments just start with the questions.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I fell asleep as they were finishing up with what I guess was some kind of auto-biography angle on why they decided - or how they ended up - getting into politics. As soon as it was AK's turn - I turned the power button to off....lol.

While there is discussion about policy - more than anything - I feel these debates are more about giving the people an opportunity to get to know who these candidates really are. Their personalities.....how they interact with others......and what about them amounts to the good, the bad, and the ugly.

As always the American people will vote for their favourite.....using their own set of criteria.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I came away more convinced than ever that sheer intelligence is just not that important in a president. Much more important is an even temperament, judgment in selecting aides and ability to sift out their inputs and choose the best course without panicking. IOW, an Eisenhower. Also important is honesty (within reasonable limits), lack of arrogance, narcissism and impulsivity...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I came away more convinced than ever that sheer intelligence is just not that important in a president. Much more important is an even temperament, judgment in selecting aides and ability to sift out their inputs and choose the best course without panicking. IOW, an Eisenhower. Also important is honesty (within reasonable limits), lack of arrogance, narcissism and impulsivity...
In other words....the complete opposite of our current president. :p

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
New power ranking:

1) Buttigieg
2) Warren
3) Hopefully it doesn't come to this
I’d think being only a mayor and not a good one doesn’t prepare one to be a chief executive. He also needs to quit picking fights with Christians.

Probably the smartest of all the democrats. She has a plan, it’ll bankrupt the country and tank the economy. On paper(I.e. not in the real world), a great president.

Oprah and Michelle could still run...right?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I’d think being only a mayor and not a good one doesn’t prepare one to be a chief executive. He also needs to quit picking fights with Christians.

Probably the smartest of all the democrats. She has a plan, it’ll bankrupt the country and tank the economy. On paper(I.e. not in the real world), a great president.

lol. The irony of saying this while supporting someone who went bankrupt 10 times, brags about sexually assaulting women, and has literally driven the U.S. debt to unseen levels during an economic bull...

Imagine actually thinking this.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Trump is already doing that with his stupid tax cut.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
lol. The irony of saying this while supporting someone who went bankrupt 10 times, brags about sexually assaulting women, and has literally driven the U.S. debt to unseen levels during an economic bull...

Imagine actually thinking this.
i'm trying to figure out exactly what it is that buttigieg is doing that constitutes "picking fights with christians". then again, maybe it's not actually about something he is doing, just who he is.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
i'm trying to figure out exactly what it is that buttigieg is doing that constitutes "picking fights with christians". then again, maybe it's not actually about something he is doing, just who he is.
Some of the gay Republican Christians -- yes they are cognitive dissonance made manifest, but they do exist -- on my Facebook feed are apoplectic that Buttigieg would dare use religion in his political messaging which is... just absolutely incredible.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
More 538 debate polling:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-those-who-watched-but-a-lot-of-people-didnt/

Big takeaway is that there's a huge difference in impression between people who watched the debate and people who watched news coverage of the debate -- part of the reason I still force myself to watch despite the enormous field. Also, Castro dropped like a rock for being an ass.

Of the top 5, Buttigieg and Warren seemed to be the biggest winners among debate watchers. Harris fell. Biden and Sanders were a mixed bag (honestly Castro implying he has dementia probably helped a tad, since he did it so poorly). But the media narrative was that Warren won and that only the top 3 mattered, so those were the only candidates that registered with non-watchers.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I think it could end up being a brokered convention. Warren seems to have the grassroots support and momentum while Biden still has big donors and will likely deliver the black vote.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.