Suspended Alabama freshman Antonio Alfano has ‘disappeared a little bit’

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I wish I could give proper credit, but I don't recall who brought it up...We (Bama) sat in the sun the entire game on our sideline. SC was shaded for the most part...That heat and the sun and 86 plays...They were "fresher" and we still beat the brakes off of 'em...RTR!!!
This is indeed the biggest issue for that D. Who are the leaders? McKinney? The O is solid, leadership is set...the OL will improve, especially when Brown gets back. But that D, where is the leadership?

Now, this last game....lots of Freshmen....lots of plays, 86....lots of heat. I do think this D improves, hopefully the tackling comes along quickly....but that leadership conundrum....how will that be solved?

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
haha, I would love to see what Coach Saban thinks about my feelings. Rtr I would like some of my harsh opponents to apologize. No i dont mean that. The kid needs help, it looks like it will be elsewhere. Probably at cow college. rtr

We can start a new thread on NS about your feelings? LOL...Kidding...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
haha, I would love to see what Coach Saban thinks about my feelings. Rtr I would like some of my harsh opponents to apologize. No i dont mean that. The kid needs help, it looks like it will be elsewhere. Probably at cow college. rtr
LOL! I've got a coaching shirt I wear to practice and to our baseball games that has on the back "Feelings don't win baseball games". I get some interesting looks and comments that's for sure.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
IIRC, unless things have changed since I was in school (probably has), it takes more than one Quarter/Semester to get Academically Ineligible (not talking about playing time). That rule was in place (at that time) to allow for Freshmen to adjust to campus life.
In theory, he would have to drop all classes and then return next semester and start over... if he wanted to. That's a huge hole to come out, but he will not be suiting up for Tide this year.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
LOL! I've got a coaching shirt I wear to practice and to our baseball games that has on the back "Feelings don't win baseball games". I get some interesting looks and comments that's for sure.
Please keep wearing that shirt. We have raised an entire generation of people who think that their every little whim must be coddled and addressed. Not saying that someone's emotional health isn't important: I believe this 18 year old guy is suffering some level of depression, and that needs to be addressed. But simply not feeling included or not feeling like you are the most important person ALL THE TIME, is not depression. That's someone being a pampered baby.

I'd like for his family in NJ to determine if he's suffering actual depression, or being a titty baby. I don't know, and no one here knows. Saban may know, since he's spent some time with the guy this year. But Saban isn't a doctor, nor is he a family member who can detect a change in personality. If it's not addressed, Alfano may end up worse off, far worse off, than a guy who didn't play college football. It's waaaayyy more important than that.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
It would make little sense for him to transfer to another school since he is so far behind academically that he probably would be unable to pass courses, and ineligible to play football. Also, unless the school were in commuting distance from his Grandmother, he would still be away from her and his family. It may be that he realizes that, and has decided to opt out for this semester/year until the family situation rectifies itself and then possibly return or go somewhere else and start over.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If it's not addressed, Alfano may end up worse off, far worse off, than a guy who didn't play college football. It's waaaayyy more important than that.
This is the important part. He'll never get the football part of his life back on track until this other stuff is treated.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
It sounds like he is still enrolled and, if he is, he has missed the deadline to drop without a W. October 30 is the last day to drop with a W. I'm sure he could get extenuating circumstances approved, but he's close to really messing up his transcript.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Truth be told as an outsider CNS just might not give a hoot what an outsider thinks.
Coaching like a lot of jobs requires a thick skin. He's gonna hurt peoples feelings, he's not gonna say things like a Priest would, even though both would be telling you the same thing.
My 2 cents worth is 'Don't take it personal,Let it rain off your back like water on a Duck'.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I noticed that Fox News has picked up on this story on their website. Cue the pundits saying how horrible Saban is for calling out the kid.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
The Twitter indicates he’s trying to sell his TV online. Sounds like he’s out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Saban addressed this in yesterday's press conference. From the quote below, it doesn't look good.

"....I just know that the guy basically quit. He quit going to class, he quit coming here, we tried to help him, we tried to encourage him, we tried to set up counseling sessions with him to help him in every way we could, and all those things are still available to him if he wants them. But he didn't respond to any of those things. Until he responds, you just have to assume the guy quit."

Sounds like Saban is exasperated and has moved on. I'll follow his lead. Unless and until Saban says Alfano is back, Alfano isn't part of my thinking anymore.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Just read the article. They summed up the situation pretty well.
agreed - they at least made sure the part about Saban trying to setup counselling and about Alfano's dad saying UA would be the best place for him to stay. Doesn't put anyone in a bad light. it's just unfortunately Alfano has retreated the way he has. So much help could be there for him. I hope he's able to get it together.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Saban addressed this in yesterday's press conference. From the quote below, it doesn't look good.

"....I just know that the guy basically quit. He quit going to class, he quit coming here, we tried to help him, we tried to encourage him, we tried to set up counseling sessions with him to help him in every way we could, and all those things are still available to him if he wants them. But he didn't respond to any of those things. Until he responds, you just have to assume the guy quit."

Sounds like Saban is exasperated and has moved on. I'll follow his lead. Unless and until Saban says Alfano is back, Alfano isn't part of my thinking anymore.
Sounds like Saban has went all out to help........ can’t do anything more for him than that

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Sorry ally, I stand corrected. The details of the story at the time made it sound like there could have been a comeback for Our crown jewel. I’m still holding out hope, but won’t offer a defense for Alfano. I can’t believe the new details, he just “quit”!?

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
No one can help those that refuse to help themselves.
Our program and University is seriously devoted to those that wish to better themselves and a hand up from everyone of them is available to all .
If you refuse the hand that is trying to save your from drowning, I pray that you are an Olympic swimmer.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Sounds like Saban has went all out to help........ can’t do anything more for him than that
Unfortunately there are some people that once they begin down a path it is like talking to a wall. No matter how hard you try to help them, you can't save them. They have to make the decision to save themselves. It is only when they reach the point of seeing they need that they will begin to accept the support they desperately need.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.