Suspended Alabama freshman Antonio Alfano has ‘disappeared a little bit’

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
CajunCrimson.....your dad "got it."

Teaching isn't for everyone. I should know. Did it almost 30 years.
He told me that under no circumstance was I ever going to be a teacher

;)

Underpaid, under appreciated, and under valued in society.

Thanks for your service as a teacher. :)

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I remember many years ago when I was coaching travel baseball. My son (age 14 I believe) had a particularly bad night at the plate and in the field, mostly due to lack of focus.

I got got into him pretty good on the ride home. His first response to me was “well I’ll just quit....”.

And that was when I unloaded. “This is how you are going to handle adversity? This is what you’re going to do when you face difficulties? Good....you just do that. I’d rather you show me your true character now instead of later in life when you quit on your family, your friends, your colleagues, and life in general. At least I can prepare others and let them know when you encounter problems, you’re going to be the first one to bail. And above all, I’ll let them know I failed you as a Father.”

I always felt bad about that night. I always thought I could’ve handled it better or in a different way.

Not long ago my son, now 28 years old with a successful career and soon to marry, told he remembered that night well. As some here know, my son in his late teens struggled with substance abuse and came very close to ending his life. In that blackest, darkest, most desperate moment of his life, it was that conversation that helped him realize he
could “continue”. He wasn’t going to lay down and die. He was going to get up and fight.

And I thank God every day for that conversation that night 14 years ago.

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

;)

I tell my child this all the time. I love my job but it has really changed over the years with the demands on teachers and the time spent doing them.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I tell my child this all the time. I love my job but it has really changed over the years with the demands on teachers and the time spent doing them.
From a family of teachers and my daughter thought about it but decided to go in a different direction due to our conversations about how teaching has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I remember many years ago when I was coaching travel baseball. My son (age 14 I believe) had a particularly bad night at the plate and in the field, mostly due to lack of focus.

I got got into him pretty good on the ride home. His first response to me was “well I’ll just quit....”.

And that was when I unloaded. “This is how you are going to handle adversity? This is what you’re going to do when you face difficulties? Good....you just do that. I’d rather you show me your true character now instead of later in life when you quit on your family, your friends, your colleagues, and life in general. At least I can prepare others and let them know when you encounter problems, you’re going to be the first one to bail. And above all, I’ll let them know I failed you as a Father.”

I always felt bad about that night. I always thought I could’ve handled it better or in a different way.

Not long ago my son, now 28 years old with a successful career and soon to marry, told he remembered that night well. As some here know, my son in his late teens struggled with substance abuse and came very close to ending his life. In that blackest, darkest, most desperate moment of his life, it was that conversation that helped him realize he
could “continue”. He wasn’t going to lay down and die. He was going to get up and fight.

And I thank God every day for that conversation in that that night 14 years ago.
Man, this gave me chills. Kudos to your son for overcoming adversity, achieving success, and for him letting you know you played a part in it.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Personally, I think that any professor who tells his class that he is only going to present the information, and that he doesn't care if you fail, should be fired. He is not doing you a favor, and he is not teaching. He is not taking responsibility for his students.

There is a difference between tough love and negligence.
In high school and community college I agree, but at a 4 year institution of higher learning I say yes and no. I just recently graduated from Alabama ( not trying to boast) and a lot of my professors said something to this effect. Most recommended the learning center as an avenue for assistance, but all made it clear that it was YOUR grade and didn’t care if you passed or failed if you didn’t take the steps to help yourself outside of class. Most of these type of professors were general studies classes who had hundreds of students. It is used mostly as a wake up call for what to expect in the next 4 years. But I do think for Math and Sciences more effort should be made to ensure success.

When you go to a place where you are more of a number than an individual then it is on you to seek help and it is on you to make sure you succeed.

Last edited:

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia

;)

Your dad was wise. When kids tell me they want to teach I don't discourage them, but I don't really encourage it much either. It's their life, and my experience won't be theirs. I had a good run. No regrets.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
No doubt we could have given a Scholarship to almost any other guy and
they would have busted their butts trying to show they deserved it.

When I started college I got an eye opener from a Instructor.
He said 'I'm not gonna spoon feed you, this isn't High School.
I'll present the information, and what you do with the info. is up to you. Whether you pass or fail is up to you.
I don't care.'
He got my attention. Half the class dropped that class the next day.
I stayed. He had a 'Hard Nosed' teaching style, and I loved it.

as a college professor who gets good evals from students, I've found that setting the standard from the beginning for the class is paramount. Then you can deal with individuals as the class progresses. I also "present the material" in a lot of different ways (video, refresher review, in-class assignments, group assignments, etc). People learn in different ways so I try to address all of them at some level each class. It usually works out pretty well regardless of what a student makes - gradewise - in the courses I teach. But I do agree with the premise it's up to them what they do with what we work on and I show data from my prior courses that show that engagement during, before, and after the class is highly correlated with better grades. Numbers don't lie and those who just show up and listen and go home and do nothing usually get a grade that's reflective of that.

As a student at all levels, I never took a class "because a professor was easy" and, in fact, chose professors who I knew would challenge me at a high level. I also subscribe to the philosophy of "IF you're the smartest one in the room, leave and find another room." Iron sharpening iron and all that. BUT, not everyone is built like that so we have to reach them in other ways. "B's" were unacceptable to me after I figured out what I was doing in college (around my 2nd sophomore semester) but that meant I had to double down on my efforts at every level. Most of my current students work 25+ hours a week and take 9-15 credit hours - something I never had to do. So, I take that into consideration while still expecting and holding a high standard. Again, the outcomes usually show it's working out. I also wasn't cradled my whole life or groomed to do one thing or told I was great every day -- if ever.

Regardless of all that, if you just stop showing up for class, refuse to talk to counselors or coaches, NO MATTER THE CAUSE, I really don't know what else can be done. Sometimes you have to suffer consequences before realizing you're an adult when you enter college even if you don't act like one. The current nonsense of "I'm going to enter the portal if I don't get my way here" isn't helping.

Last edited:

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
I taught at a community college for several years and never knew a teacher who would not spend however long it took after class to help a student who wanted the help. In advanced courses the professors might seem more aloof, but if a student approached for help, they would be pleased. Many students are afraid to ask.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
In high school and community college I agree, but at a 4 year institution of higher learning I say yes and no. I just recently graduated from Alabama ( not trying to boast) and a lot of my professors said something to this effect. Most recommended the learning center as an avenue for assistance, but all made it clear that it was YOUR grade and didn’t care if you passed or failed if you didn’t take the steps to help yourself outside of class. Most of these type of professors were general studies classes who had hundreds of students. It is used mostly as a wake up call for what to expect in the next 4 years. But I do think for Math and Sciences more effort should be made to ensure success.

When you go to a place where you are more of a number than an individual then it is on you to seek help and it is on you to make sure you succeed.
The 'In Your Face Professor' I had cut his class size in half. He found out on day one, who would do what it took to achieve. This was a big deal to me, because I just got by in high school. After the day one wake up call, I worked to get on and stay on the Deans List.
It's not hard to see that the Professor was a retired Army D.I. Veteran.
I was a hard nosed kid and appreciated the fact he would not coddle any of us.
BTW: It was a general studies class of about 75, before he scared em off.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Before tears start to be wrenched, I'd point out that, almost in all cases, when a player wants to transfer, an aged, ill relative whom he wants to be near, surfaces, for NCAA purposes. Perhaps in this single case it's true. However, in this instance, this is a player who displayed zero interest in anything about attending college but playing football, despite all which was told him during recruitment and entering school. I guess he thought they were kidding him. Maybe I'm being too skeptical, but I have my reasons...
I've said this before on this board I think but it bears repeating here. A young cadet in the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets during Hell Week (lots of screaming and lots of push-ups) decided at one point that he had made a mistake in going to Va Tech and told his chain of command as much. The cadet leadership marched him to the office of his deputy commandant, who spoke with the young man, then called the young man's father. The young cadet told his father, "Dad, I think I have made a mistake in coming to Va Tech. I'm quitting the Corps of Cadets." After a long pause, his father said, "You're a grown man. It's your decision. Where do you want me to send your things because you ain't coming home."
The young cadet reconsidered his decision to quit, stayed at Va Tech, graduated, and went on to a 30 year career in the USAF.

Colonel (Retired) "Rock" Rozak tells that story to young cadets' parents at Va Tech every August now.
Families can be an excuse for a young person to quit or they can bolster a young person when facing adversity.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Personally, I think that any professor who tells his class that he is only going to present the information, and that he doesn't care if you fail, should be fired. He is not doing you a favor, and he is not teaching. He is not taking responsibility for his students.

There is a difference between tough love and negligence.
I agree.
When I was teaching in college (I taught at a few), I would routinely tell my students that I got paid the same whether everyone earns an A or everyone earns an F. I then followed that with a reminder to the students that if they were having difficulty, to come see me as soon as they realize they are in trouble with some aspect of the course.
Some did. Others realized their excuse was weak and did not bother. I taught a Tuesday-Thursday class as 1230-1345. A student (American kid of Vietnamese descent, but culturally all-American from Northern Virginia) missed class for two weeks. When he did show up, I asked him if everything was okay. He responded, "Dude, I can't get up this early."

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
However, in this instance, this is a player who displayed zero interest in anything about attending college but playing football, despite all which was told him during recruitment and entering school. I guess he thought they were kidding him. Maybe I'm being too skeptical, but I have my reasons...
The word I heard coming out of the mouths at Mal Moore today was "entitled."

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

;)

I'm a teacher. No one whines like teachers. Here in Alabama public school teachers are paid quite well.

I don't think teachers are underappreciated or undervalued either. That's hard to quantify though.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Alabama's teacher salaries are in the bottom third of the nation. Maybe fare a bit better when adjusted for CoL but hardly "quite well."

The only place to be as a state employee is in some job under the big umbrella of "administrator." The rubber-meets-road side of any government entity is generally filled with underpaid employees relative to the market. Without even trying I could leave my job at UA as a software engineer and get paid at least 15k more and probably only have to relocate somewhere closer to Birmingham worst case...and I know this is true because of all the people we've lost who are less talented than me but have decided to pull the trigger lately. Some of those people who left were a pay grade lower than me so they were getting closer to 20-25k more by leaving.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.