Suspended Alabama freshman Antonio Alfano has ‘disappeared a little bit’

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
At this point let him go and free up a scholarship for someone who wants to be here. rtr
nah. Wrong attitude on this topic.

Alfano will be a 1st round D lineman for us. Do not suggest we should just “give up” his scholarship for someone else. At the end of the day we need talented and capable players. He is one we will build around in the years to come. You don’t just “let him go” and fill his spot.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
My point is that Coach Saban has said times that he has had mistakes and further compounded them. I see he has some family issues, but if he was an early enrollee and still hasnt figured out to right his wrong. I dont see a problem in letting him go. If he truly wanted to be here, I would think he would have corrected his issues by now.

nah. Wrong attitude on this topic.

Alfano will be a 1st round D lineman for us. Do not suggest we should just “give up” his scholarship for someone else. At the end of the day we need talented and capable players. He is one we will build around in the years to come. You don’t just “let him go” and fill his spot.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
allybama2009, rather harsh viewpoint. Alfano is a young man, first time away from home, completely different culture from what he's used to, and now his grandmother is on life support, so give him a break. Even though he was an early enrollee he may have needed longer to adapt. It appears everything has come down on him like a ton of bricks. He needs to grow up a little and reach out to his family, his teachers, and his coaches who will give him all the support he will ever need. Good luck Anthony.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
I dont disagree with your take, i was talking about Coach Sabans comments about the young man making mistakes and making them worse. I understand the family issues and being far away from home. I get it. I didnt mean to sound harsh. If he is having issues and or second thoughts, let him go and transfer elsewhere. Ultimately he does us no good if he continues to be in the dog house. rtr

allybama2009, rather harsh viewpoint. Alfano is a young man, first time away from home, completely different culture from what he's used to, and now his grandmother is on life support, so give him a break. Even though he was an early enrollee he may have needed longer to adapt. It appears everything has come down on him like a ton of bricks. He needs to grow up a little and reach out to his family, his teachers, and his coaches who will give him all the support he will ever need. Good luck Anthony.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I dont disagree with your take, i was talking about Coach Sabans comments about the young man making mistakes and making them worse. I understand the family issues and being far away from home. I get it. I didnt mean to sound harsh. If he is having issues and or second thoughts, let him go and transfer elsewhere. Ultimately he does us no good if he continues to be in the dog house. rtr
While I understand your view I respectfully disagree. It's not always about what he can do for "us" but what the university can do for him and the support we as fans can provide. After all football is still just football. It's not life and death.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think we know CNS well enough after all these years to know he certainly wouldn’t stand up in a post game press conference and make some rather pointed comments if this is solely a situation of young man trying to cope with a seriously ill grandmother and the difficulties surrounding it. If that were the only factor, CNS would have used something along the lines of saying “dealing with family and personal issues” and not saying he’s “disappeared somewhat”. CNS is very deliberate in what he says and why he says it. He’s not given to flippant comments.

That isn’t to say we shouldn’t have empathy for the young man. It is one of those situations most of all us face at some point in our lives...the illness of a someone we desperately love. How we learn to deal with those things is part of the maturing process when we are younger. However even in those circumstances we still must address our responsibilities and manage them accordingly. And yes, at 18 years of age it can be overwhelming.

If I had to hazard a guess, my thought is there must be issues that arose prior to, during, or subsequent to this family crisis that Alfano hasn’t handled correctly. My thought is that CNS was saying to him “when you face adversity are you going to do the right things or are you going to make the situation worse by making bad choices?” I get the sense in reading the father’s tweet they are hoping he chooses to stay and work through things.

I certainly don’t think CNS would have phrased things the way he did without good reason.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think we know CNS well enough after all these years to know he certainly wouldn’t stand up in a post game press conference and make some rather pointed comments if this is solely a situation of young man trying to cope with a seriously ill grandmother and the difficulties surrounding it. If that were the only factor, CNS would have used something along the lines of saying “dealing with family and personal issues” and not saying he’s “disappeared somewhat”. CNS is very deliberate in what he says and why he says it. He’s not given to flippant comments.

That isn’t to say we shouldn’t have empathy for the young man. It is one of those situations most of all us face at some point in our lives...the illness of a someone we desperately love. How we learn to deal with those things is part of the maturing process when we are younger. However even in those circumstances we still must address our responsibilities and manage them accordingly. And yes, at 18 years of age it can be overwhelming.

If I had to hazard a guess, my thought is there must be issues that arose prior to, during, or subsequent to this family crisis that Alfano hasn’t handled correctly. My thought is that CNS was saying to him “when you face adversity are you going to do the right things or are you going to make the situation worse by making bad choices?” I get the sense in reading the father’s tweet they are hoping he chooses to stay and work through things.

I certainly don’t think CNS would have phrased things the way he did without good reason.
While none of us knows the exact facts, I think you're probably pretty dead on, CB.

Alfano didn't get with the program, and when confronted, didn't get with the process to clear up the initial mistake(s). Basically, he ran from the problem. Not the way to handle it, but you do have to take into account the fact that he's 18, and who among us didn't do some stupid stuff when we were 18, and then try to cover it up / deny it existed / lie about whether we did it or not, etc.?

Only when we were hopelessly busted did we acknowledge the error of our ways (deep down, we knew the actions were wrong when we did them). The next step was to (1) make amends to the authority -- parents, school, coach, girlfriend, girlfriend's parents (!!!), whatever, or (2) slink away and start again elsewhere. It's so painful that most of us don't do that again, though a few of us are hardheaded, keep repeating the same basic mistake, and keep running from it....sometimes physically, sometimes emotionally, sometimes both.

Whether Alfano learns or is hard-headed is up to him. It would appear that his father wants him to do what he has to do to make it right in Tuscaloosa. But daddy can't do it for him -- Antonio has to acknowledge his mistakes, truly regret them, and be willing to humble himself by earning his way back from his current position....which is standing on tiptoe, up to his nose in the cesspool, below the dog house outside the jail. That won't be easy, and it'll take a while.

I love a redemption story, and hope beyond hope that he does just that. But he'll have to do something he's thus far shown no inclination to do. We'll see real soon. Whether he stays in Tuscaloosa or not, there's no realistic chance he'll contribute to the football team on the field this season. He has a lot more important stuff to sort out.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Just remember...Larry Bird transferred from IU and later said it was a big mistake...that if he had been more mature he would have realized that he and Bobby Knight were on the same page.

18 is awful young in most cases...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Dad is saying essentially saying AA needs Bama and someone like CNS imo. He also says he’ll support his son but he has certainly given a strong opinion on what he thinks should happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.