Suspended Alabama freshman Antonio Alfano has ‘disappeared a little bit’

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
From a football standpoint, we've lost our 2 highest recruits from last years class for at least the time being - Alfano and Sanders..

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It takes some reciprocal effort on the student-athlete's part. Being rated as a 5* athlete doesn't mean you're adjusted well enough to adapt to college life and be accountable. If you're not, and you're not receptive to support, you don't last long under Saban. If there's someone behind you who's almost as good and mature enough to be accountable, it's "next man"...
One of the local sports guys here, in relation to another recent transfer out of the program that reportedly had academic issues said “when you don’t avail yourself of the academic support available to you through the athletic department or you have difficulty finding your way to class, then that is on you....”

On Sunday, after the report of Alfaro’s issue can to light, a colleague that is also a huge Bama fan called me. He said “so you leave the program because you will not do the work or will not go to class. Where are you going to transfer where they are going let you do the same thing?”

My first response was the same as many here: “Plenty of places, starting with Auburn.....”

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Young Mr. Alfano seems to have dug himself quite a hole. Then, when faced with the consequences, continued to dig.

To get out of it, I think he'd have to come clean, admit all sorts of sins of both commission and omission, beg forgiveness, and truly sin no more.

I don't see that happening. Mainly because this sort of thing tends not to happen in a vacuum.

In other words, it would be highly unusual for a player to do everything he's supposed to do, in all but one aspect of the process.

So in this case, he'd be doing the workouts, adhering to the nutrition program, and going to meetings prepared. In practice, he'd be giving maximum effort, taking to heart everything the coaches tell him. He'd be studying and learning the nuances of his DL position and doing what it takes to make the jump from New Jersey HS ball to the SEC.

No way any human being does all that, but doesn't go to class or do homework. No way. He's falling short elsewhere as well.

I'm just curious as to what Saban means by, "disappeared a little bit." Is Saban saying that he (Saban) doesn't know where Alfano is? Or is Saban saying that Alfano has stopped participating in any program-related activities?

Might be a distinction without a practical difference, but it does pique curiosity.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Seems to me that Alfano will be enrolling somewhere else before the end of this semester. Saban kinda spoke in a way that is uncommon in these situations. He talked only about how the team could learn from this instead of Alfano himself.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Question: If he's suspended for academic reasons, since he was an early enrollee, wouldn't it have been on Saban's radar much earlier? Or maybe his GPA was just turned in?
If he is/was not going to class that could account for the suspension. Players - and especially freshmen and anyone with academic issues - are checked by staff (usually GA's & manager types) to see if they're in class EVERY day. Don't know the specific situation in his case, but it doesn't have to be GPA related to be an academic issue. Same is true if a player has had issues in class (behavior, cheating, etc).

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Cecil just retweeted Alfano’s father who said his problems started when his grandmother fell ill and was placed on life support, and he hadn’t been to class or practices since. Dad says Bama has been supportive and he’d like his son to remain here, but it’s his choice and the young man had asked to be placed in the transfer portal to evaluate options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
Cecil just retweeted Alfano’s father who said his problems started when his grandmother fell ill and was placed on life support, and he hadn’t been to class or practices since. Dad says Bama has been supportive and he’d like his son to remain here, but it’s his choice and the young man had asked to be placed in the transfer portal to evaluate options.

That’s what I’m seeing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/frankalfano76

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Basically, His dad is saying that since his grandma fell ill and is on life support, it affected Antonio in the worst way and that it caused him not to go to classes and practices. His dad feels like Alabama has supported him and that that he should remain at Alabama, but in the end, it is his choice.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Basically, His dad is saying that since his grandma fell ill and is on life support, it affected Antonio in the worst way and that it caused him not to go to classes and practices. His dad feels like Alabama has supported him and that that he should remain at Alabama, but in the end, it is his choice.
I wish the best for the young man.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I hate to hear about his family situation, and I hope his grandmother is fine. It is good, however, to hear his father say those things. So many parents these days seem to immediately claim that their children are "picked on" or that something "isn't fair."

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I think we all can sympathize with what AA is going through at the moment. when you're 18 and have never experienced losing someone that you're very close to, it can be life changing. let's keep him and his grandmother in our thoughts and wish him the very best whatever he decides to do. football can't certainly wait.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I think we all can sympathize with what AA is going through at the moment. when you're 18 and have never experienced losing someone that you're very close to, it can be life changing. let's keep him and his grandmother in our thoughts and wish him the very best whatever he decides to do. football can't certainly wait.
I agree with what you said. I hope he can work through everything and stay at BAMA, even if he redshirts this year. I hope his dad can influence him to stay.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
The worst part of this, IMO, is that all this has to play out in the public eye. Granted part of that comes with the territory of being a high profile recruit, but by the same token, none of this is really any of our business and the young man should be able to deal with this on his own, with his family and the team.

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
I think it is a very sad statement about fans when they rip an 18 year old young man without having any idea of why or what was happening that led to him missing class and practice. Maybe just once give someone the benefit of the doubt before you throw him under the buss.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Whether he stays or goes isn't important at this point, for him. If he's really close to his grandmother and this is weighing on him enough to change his priorities we should, as adults, be understanding. My wife and I raised our first 2 grandchildren and although I have no idea if his case is relative I can attest to the bond created between Grands. I have 9 of them overall.

Give the guy and his family a pass. Nobody really knows another mans house or it's foundation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.