Suspended Alabama freshman Antonio Alfano has ‘disappeared a little bit’

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sorry ally, I stand corrected. The details of the story at the time made it sound like there could have been a comeback for Our crown jewel. I’m still holding out hope, but won’t offer a defense for Alfano. I can’t believe the new details, he just “quit”!?
"Quit" and didn't leave good feelings behind. But, he's also left more than one HS team...

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
"Quit" and didn't leave good feelings behind. But, he's also left more than one HS team...
That really is a shame. If he could stick it out, the people he has around him, the coaches, they would get him the help he needs. But you can't help someone that just flat out appears to not want to be helped. Even his dad knows he should stay, but I do hope he gets himself together at some point, for his own sake and future.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Unfortunately there are some people that once they begin down a path it is like talking to a wall. No matter how hard you try to help them, you can't save them. They have to make the decision to save themselves. It is only when they reach the point of seeing they need that they will begin to accept the support they desperately need.
Very true...…………..I've known a few like that, and it boggles the mind that they wont accept help. I hope he finds whatever it is he is looking for

bamabill123

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2018
As is almost always the case, i believe there is more to the story than we know. I'm not sure it's any of our business, hope it all works out for him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Before tears start to be wrenched, I'd point out that, almost in all cases, when a player wants to transfer, an aged, ill relative whom he wants to be near, surfaces, for NCAA purposes. Perhaps in this single case it's true. However, in this instance, this is a player who displayed zero interest in anything about attending college but playing football, despite all which was told him during recruitment and entering school. I guess he thought they were kidding him. Maybe I'm being too skeptical, but I have my reasons...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As is almost always the case, i believe there is more to the story than we know. I'm not sure it's any of our business, hope it all works out for him.
I'm sure there are some facts not known, but something to consider - Alabama has had several players transfer on not so great terms; has Nick Saban made as many harsh public comments for any of those players prior to Alfano?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Before tears start to be wrenched, I'd point out that, almost in all cases, when a player wants to transfer, an aged, ill relative whom he wants to be near, surfaces, for NCAA purposes. Perhaps in this single case it's true. However, in this instance, this is a player who displayed zero interest in anything about attending college but playing football, despite all which was told him during recruitment and entering school. I guess he thought they were kidding him. Maybe I'm being too skeptical, but I have my reasons...
If this is the case then I'm just frustrated we wasted a scholly spot on him. I'm sure we likely had someone we had to turn away due to numbers...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I'm sure there are some facts not known, but something to consider - Alabama has had several players transfer on not so great terms; has Nick Saban made as many harsh public comments for any of those players prior to Alfano?
Think he retorted "Never heard of her" when asked about a QB transfer a few years ago.

Don't see Saban's comments on Alfano as anything beyond cold reality caution for the roster he commands. Maybe I missed something but he doesn't have a habit of calling out underperformers or "abandonment cases" (quitters).

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If this is the case then I'm just frustrated we wasted a scholly spot on him. I'm sure we likely had someone we had to turn away due to numbers...
No doubt we could have given a Scholarship to almost any other guy and
they would have busted their butts trying to show they deserved it.

When I started college I got an eye opener from a Instructor.
He said 'I'm not gonna spoon feed you, this isn't High School.
I'll present the information, and what you do with the info. is up to you. Whether you pass or fail is up to you.
I don't care.'
He got my attention. Half the class dropped that class the next day.
I stayed. He had a 'Hard Nosed' teaching style, and I loved it.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
No doubt we could have given a Scholarship to almost any other guy and
they would have busted their butts trying to show they deserved it.

When I started college I got an eye opener from a Instructor.
He said 'I'm not gonna spoon feed you, this isn't High School.
I'll present the information, and what you do with the info. is up to you.
Whether you pass or fail is up to you. I don't care.'
He got my attention. Half the class dropped that class the next day.
I stayed. He had a 'Hard Nosed' teaching style, and I loved it.
He did you a great favor...most of my profs were the same way...they made us toe the line.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Personally, I think that any professor who tells his class that he is only going to present the information, and that he doesn't care if you fail, should be fired. He is not doing you a favor, and he is not teaching. He is not taking responsibility for his students.

There is a difference between tough love and negligence.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Personally, I think that any professor who tells his class that he is only going to present the information, and that he doesn't care if you fail, should be fired. He is not doing you a favor, and he is not teaching. He is not taking responsibility for his students.

There is a difference between tough love and negligence.
Or maybe he just figured they needed to grow up a bit. I never backed away from a challenge. The toughest profs always managed to inspire me. And I learned a ton.

RIP Professor Flannery

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Or maybe he just figured they needed to grow up a bit. I never backed away from a challenge. The toughest profs always managed to inspire me. And I learned a ton.
This professor didn't help you - you helped yourself. With your attitude, you were going to be just fine no matter who you got.

Then we have the rest of the world. Teachers have to reach them, too. If you have 50% of your class dropping because you are a jerk, you are not helping anyone. You are just talking to people who could do just fine with the text book alone.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This professor didn't help you - you helped yourself. With your attitude, you were going to be just fine no matter who you got.

Then we have the rest of the world. Teachers have to reach them, too. If you have 50% of your class dropping because you are a jerk, you are not helping anyone. You are just talking to people who could do just fine with the text book alone.
My Dad was a college Education Professor. Tough as nails. And he was as frank as they come. He taught for 35 years. Thousands of students. He was loved by many, but hated by a few. He didn’t mince words if he thought they weren’t “teaching” material

When he passed away, hundreds of his students came to the service. I can’t remember them all. But they all had a story. Many were Principals. Many became college professors

He was never easy. But he loved his craft.

All I know is, he did his job. He did it well. And in the process many kids in Louisiana had better teachers because of him. And he also spared many kids from having teachers that didn’t belong.

So, don’t paint all tough teachers into a box.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, don’t paint all tough teachers into a box.
Sounds like your father did a lot more than stand in front of the class and present material. Sounds like he cared about his students. Good for him, and I can understand your pride. I was responding to a post about professors who said straight up that they did not care.

:cheers2:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Sounds like your father did a lot more than stand in front of the class and present material. Sounds like he cared about his students. Good for him, and I can understand your pride. I was responding to a post about professors who said straight up that they did not care.

:cheers2:
Honestly, I think the ones I had really did care....... they just seemed to put up a front to make us work hard. One of the toughest ones I ever had told me when I graduated that he was proud of all his students and wanted to push them to be the best they could

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
CajunCrimson.....your dad "got it."

Teaching isn't for everyone. I should know. Did it almost 30 years.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
What makes this case a little different is that Alfano never really tried to attend many classes, then he disappeared without a word. I'm pretty sure Coach Saban knew where Alfano was, but equally sure he never really talked to coach. Under these circumstances,
I put the burden of communication on the player.

Example... I quit a couple of jobs when I was a kid, but I went to the boss and told him I was quitting, and why.
I think that is the difference between Alfano's words and the words of guys who were more up front about their intentions.
This whole mess leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.