Top 5 Alabama Wins and losses Post Bryant- Pre-Saban that still get to you

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
The 2004 Alabama-LSU game has stuck in my craw for 15 years. Bama was up 10-6 and going in to score when LSU committed one of the worst pass interferences I've ever seen - and it not only wasn't called - they picked off the pass. LSU went on to win 26-10 but that one call really changed the game. LSU was coming off a national championship and had Jamarcus Russell while Bama was coming off a 4-9 season and had Spencer Pennington. It would have been a huge upset and I think that call may have made the difference.

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/WLhV9gVkIO4

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The 2004 Alabama-LSU game has stuck in my craw for 15 years. Bama was up 10-6 and going in to score when LSU committed one of the worst pass interferences I've ever seen - and it not only wasn't called - they picked off the pass. LSU went on to win 26-10 but that one call really changed the game. LSU was coming off a national championship and had Jamarcus Russell while Bama was coming off a 4-9 season and had Spencer Pennington. It would have been a huge upset and I think that call may have made the difference.

I think that one call changed college football because the next year we had replay challenges.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA

That single missed PI call is the golden trump card whenever LSU complains about a missed call against Alabama. It changed everything in that game and that season. Prior to that game, we had clawed our way back out of the ditch that was the 2004 season. We lost Croyle early and struggled to find an identity. By the time we got to November, we were looking like a team that could hang with anyone, even if we were still sub-par. But that missed PI call was like a sucker punch to the nethers and we never recovered. I dare say a win in Baton Rouge would have led to more confidence in the second half of the Iron Bowl that we lost. Let's not even get into the Music City Bowl.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Yeah I know. If I said Top 5 losses then everyone is going to say 2016 Clemson, 2013, Auburn, 2010 Auburn, and some other two big losses in the Saban or Bryant era most likely. Then for wins they would almost be exclusively SECCG and National championship games in the past 12 years. I thought you would get a greater number of different games if you did 83-06

If we didn't have the 83-06 stipulation my top 5 on both change tremendously

Loss

1) Florida 08
2) Auburn 13
3) Ohio St 16
4) Clemson 17
5) Auburn 10

Win

1) UGA NCG
2) UGA SECCG 18
3) UF 2009
4) UGA SECCG 12
5) LSU NCG

But again it was the 1983-2006 time frame that I was asking for.
That’s understandable but I’m 30 years old so any loss from the Stallings era (let alone the Bryant era) and beforehand simply isn’t going to affect me like our older posters on here. Too young or not alive yet.

That being said I weigh the losses in three different categories.

1. The severity and circumstances of the loss like the 44-16 beat down by Clemson.

2. What was at stake in the game i.e. winning the conference, NC, perfect season.

3. The opponent that beat Alabama i.e. any rival.

Many of these losses from 97-07, I kinda had a feeling that Alabama was not the better team and that it would have taken a miracle for Alabama to pull the upset. Many of those games, such as 2003 OU, Alabama’s best bet was just to make the game respectable.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I would say Stallings first 3 games were pretty painful to experience.
That 93 loss to L8U was the worst. How the hell did we lose to Curley Hallman?
I didn't see many games from 1997-2004 due to architecture school.
I believe the answer to that question is that Barker went down with an injury. Burgdorf came in and struggled, and ultimately David Palmer was put in at QB and helped us get back in the game, but ultimately he wasn't able to bring us all the way back. LSU played inspired (can't understand why with Hallmad) and the rest is history. As a 10 year old, I really only knew of the end of the 1990 season forward to that point. I did not understand that Alabama could lose. It was a gut punch.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Had the question been "Top 5 Wins and losses that still gets to you" Im sure we would have nothing but Notre Dame and historic Auburn losses for the losses part. So with the phrasing like this we probably have more parity. SO from 1983-2006 Here are my top 5 Wins and losses. What are yours?

Losses

#1) 94 SECCG- This one is bound to show up a lot. If there is one criticism of CGS it is he was too old school. Not allowing Jay Barker and Homer Smith to light up the scoreboard vs one of the weakest Spurrier teams in the 90's is one thing, but not going for 2 is one of the most mindboggling decisions to this day.

#2) 97 Auburn- Another one that probably will pop up a few times is this one. We should've known then what we know now about Dubose

#3) 2003 Tennessee- Any Tennessee loss is a very bad day, but good god this one was horrible,

#4) 02 Oklahoma- Just because we had that game won, and blew it vs a very good Oklahoma team

#5) 2006 Tennessee- I debated between this one and 95, but this one is worse

dishonorable mentions:

95 Tennessee
99 La Tech
93 LSU

Wins: To leave on a good note.

#1) 92 National Championship- What more needs to be said

#2) 99 vs Florida in the Swamp- A team going into a hostile place against a team no one gave them a chance against, and beating them while having to survive stupid coaching decisions on their sideline is a pretty epic story

#3) 02 Tennessee- I hate Tennessee and Revenge against Phatlock after 7 years of torment ranks pretty high for me

#4) 92 SECCG- Amazing game

#5) 1985 Auburn- Before my time, but its hard to justify any Top 5 list without it

"SOME" Honorable mentions

1985 UGA
1994 UGA
1999 SECCG
2001 Auburn
2001 Iowa St
2005 UF
2005 Tennessee

Questions like this often reveal the age/generation of the poster, ha ha.

I'll do this in two posts because of commentary:

LOSSES

1) 1986 LSU

Of the hundreds of Alabama games I've seen, this was the most FRUSTRATING loss I can recall, and it might have marked a turning point in our history, too. It's kind of forgotten except for one play (which I'll cover below), but it was a damaging and costly loss all the way around.

You have to get into the mentality of the time. Immediately upon Coach Bryant's retirement and passing, you had Auburn pretty much putting the best team in the country on the field in 1983 (and getting jobbed in the title vote). Auburn was the AP preseason #1 in 1984 and moved up to #1 after the first game of the 1985 season. Alabama, meanwhile, had consecutive four-loss seasons (82 and 83), the first losing season since - oops - Auburn won the 1957 national title (ending our long bowl game streak), and it's often forgotten we were not even ranked going into the 1985 Iron Bowl despite a record of 7-2-1 and a head-to-head win over #20 Georgia, who was also 7-2-1 (go figure).

The program was in its darkest period since prior to Bryant arriving. From 1982-1985, we were 0-4 against Tennessee, 1-2-1 against LSU, and our 2-2 mark against Auburn could just as easily have been 0-4 (Pat Dye's coaching malfunction in 84 and Tiffin's kick in 85 bailed us out). It was almost like the two programs had switched places - not exactly but close to it.

So 1986 comes along, and we begin to right all the wrongs. We finally beat Notre Dame (and handily), we dominate a Florida team that began sinking but had probably been the best team in the country in 1984, and we exact major revenge on Tennessee with a 56-28 stomping that puts us at #2 for the first time since October 1982. A rainy day against Penn State - the same day Bill Buckner's name entered history as a goat - and we get thumped by the eventual champs, 23-3. But we have a talented team with a senior QB, the best kicker in the country, the best linebacker in the country, and two up and coming backs with Heisman potential, Bobby Humphrey and Jerk Who Took Money From Auburn To Lie About Us.

If we beat LSU, we win the SEC (even if we lose to Auburn) and go back to the Sugar Bowl for the first time since 1980. It would have been a benchmark on the way back to the top. And we absolutely owned them that night except in the way that counts.

We outgained them in yards, 387-237. LSU only had 71 total yards in the second half.
Humphrey became the first back of the season to go for over 100 yards against LSU.
We had one touchdown called back on a holding penalty and settled for a field goal (-4 points)
Van Tiffin, who was 13 of 16 otherwise on the year, missed a 44-yard FG (-3 points)
Shula threw an INT into the end zone on a first down play from the LSU 13 (-3 to -7 points depending)
Humphrey got a first down at the LSU 20 and fumbled away to the LSU 17 (-3 points minimum)

And then came the play everyone remembers: Humphrey actually broke Johnny Musso's career yardage record on the play from the LSU six. He got to the one-yard line and as he was going down and would have crossed the goal line for a TD, he got hit from behind and fumbled into the end zone, where LSU recovered. As Tiffin never missed a PAT in his entire career, that's easy to call a 7-point mistake.

Mistakes cost us 20-24 points in a game we lost by a score of 14-10. There is NO QUESTION we were the better team that night, although I can credit the LSU defense for rising up at the right time. (By contrast, LSU was better than we were when we stole the 98 game from them, too).

That loss turned the Auburn game into "must win and hope LSU loses," which they never did. It cost us the Sugar Bowl, which we probably would have beaten Nebraska that year, and even had we lost to Auburn, we would have ended the year in the top five (the Huskers were 10-2 and finished at 5).

We blew a 17-7 lead to Auburn, but the LSU game is the one that cost us Bourbon Street. However, the game also featured one of the most hilarious things my then 17-year old brain had ever heard, courtesy of Mike Patrick: "Tom Hodson jerks off the helmet and runs off the field." Yes, that's exactly how he said it.

2) 1987 Memphis State

If ever anyone doubted that hiring Bill Curry over Bobby Bowden was a colossal mistake, this ended that doubt. Amazingly enough, we slaughtered Tennessee the very next week.

3) 1995 Arkansas

While this may not turn up for some other folks, it bothers me because I had the misfortune to live in Arkansas from 1993-97, a wonderful state and awesome base.......but fans who make the Beverly Hillbillies look cultured. No matter how bad they lost, they'd insist they should have won the game. They insist to this day that Barker was over the line when he hit Sherman Williams to beat them in 1994, but he wasn't (to be fair, I thought he was when I first saw it). Make no mistake - Arky outplayed us, and we were having some problems dealing with the fallout from the sanctions. But to lose the way we did - first with 12 men on the field and secondly the disputed JJ Meadors trap/catch.......and then to have to live with those jerks for the next three years not even acknowledging that the game could have gone either way (they murdered us that day - if you hear their version of it).......it was awful for me personally.

4) 2000 UCLA

Again, the context is crucial.

Thanks to Shaun Alexander and Chris Samuels (and a fortuitous fumble by Florida), we looked great in 1999 after the La Tech debacle. Dubious began thinking he was the next Vince Lombardi or something. We go in at 3 as heavy favorites...and the highlight of the year is Milons's punt return for a TD. The amusing part all these years later is that most people forget that we actually led that game, 24-21, in the third period, and UCLA lost their starting QB on the first series with a separated shoulder.

As the year unfolded, this loss was not so bad. AT THE TIME, however, it was like someone walking into your living room and smacking you across the face.

5) 1997 Iron Bowl

Poor Ed Scissum, and I mean that sincerely. When that poor fella dies, his obituary is going to say something like "best remembered for a fumble in the Iron Bowl," and it's not fair to him. He didn't make the play call, it was higher risk than necessary, and I'm not 100% convinced he had possession of it anyway. It was third and eight, and Auburn had no timeouts left - with 55 seconds remaining.

You have Shaun Alexander as a running back. I mean, the only thing dumber would be to not run your horse from the one-yard line with the Super Bowl on the line, not that anyone is that dumb.

I knew at that moment that Mike Dubious was in WAY over his head.

I'd suspected it prior to that moment, but I knew it for sure then.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
TOP 5 WINS BETWEEN LEGENDARY COACHING TENURES

1) 1993 Sugar Bowl

Not much to say about this except that those of you 35 and under probably don't get why this is so favored a game. Beating Miami back then was like beating us nowadays - but with added satisfaction since they were so fond of sitting before microphones and saying stuff that made you think you were facing off against the convicts in a remake of "The Longest Yard."

2) 1999 Florida

I had just entered a very deep and depressed stage of life a few days before this, the worst depression of my life that lasted from September 30 to the end of April 2000. This game was one of the highlight moments of that time, and it remains a cherished memory.

3) 1985 Iron Bowl

Building on my last post about 1986 LSU...this game was probably our coming out of the shadows of the last 3 seasons. Auburn was a very good team that year, but we outplayed them for all but a few minutes of the fourth quarter. That rush I got when Tiffin drilled that kick only moments after we'd been at our own 11-yard line is probably the best rush I've ever had as a Tide fan. There have been other spine tingling moments - Langham's pick to beat Florida in 92, AJ to Amari to beat UGA in 12, even last year when Jalen brought us back against the Dawgs or most notably when Tua did it to them the year prior. OK - it was the second greatest rush behind the Tua bomb, and the great end to a fun season.

4) 2005 Florida

Welcome to the SEC, Urban Meyer.....unfortunately overshadowed by what happened in the fourth quarter....

5) 1984 Iron Bowl

Can you even believe an IB that kicks off at 1130 in the morning? But it was the one bright shining moment of a dismal season.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Top 5 Most Painful losses: 1)2003 Tennessee 2)1997 Auburn 3)2002 Georgia 4)1983 Penn State 5)1988 Michigan (Hall of Fame Bowl)

Top 5 Wins: 1)1993 Sugar Bowl 2)1992 Florida 3)1985 Auburn 4)2002 Tennessee 5)1999 Florida (both). Honorable mention - 1985 Georgia.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
4) 2000 UCLA

Again, the context is crucial.

Thanks to Shaun Alexander and Chris Samuels (and a fortuitous fumble by Florida), we looked great in 1999 after the La Tech debacle. Dubious began thinking he was the next Vince Lombardi or something. We go in at 3 as heavy favorites...and the highlight of the year is Milons's punt return for a TD. The amusing part all these years later is that most people forget that we actually led that game, 24-21, in the third period, and UCLA lost their starting QB on the first series with a separated shoulder.

As the year unfolded, this loss was not so bad. AT THE TIME, however, it was like someone walking into your living room and smacking you across the face.
That one was brutal. When Millons returned that punt for a TD (I believe is was the first punt of the game)I just knew that it was going to be a memorable season. And it was, just not a good memory.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That one was brutal. When Millons returned that punt for a TD (I believe is was the first punt of the game)I just knew that it was going to be a memorable season. And it was, just not a good memory.
What's funny is I made a "mistake" that in retrospect was not.

I had been battling a dark depression for the better part of the year, and I'd recently become closer friends with a family member, so we drove up to Missouri to see them. As it turned out, the UCLA-Alabama game was NOT shown on ABC in Missouri that day. I couldn't believe it! (A similar "not shown in this area" caused me to miss the infamous Stewart to Westbrook Hail Mary in 1994). But they cut into the game and said Milons had taken the punt for a TD. I'm thinking, "THIS is our year!"

Since we didn't get the game, we went over to see the rock formations at Meramec Caverns and visit a great uncle. I got home in those much earlier days of the Internet and read the CNNSI story - about UCLA fans mocking us with "overrated" as we left the field and Foster's 105 yards rushing after contact. I thought, "it's okay, it's early and with a few breaks we're still good."

Then I saw us play horrifically against Vandy even though we won. The clincher for "this is an awful year," of course, was the USM debacle. I wanted Dubious gone right then and there.

As I sit here typing I realize that was a completely different world - it was what we now call "the pre- 9/11 world". And it sure seemed a lot happier and different, I'll admit.....even with our loss to UCLA.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One note here on another game that would no doubt make the list: 1983 Penn State.

I lived in Germany at the time. Thanks to the seven-hour time difference, the game kicked off there at 930pm.

I went to bed oh around 11 or so with us trailing, 34-7. I learned what happened the next day from a fellow Tide fan at my school, whom I ran into out for a walk.
He was about in tears; the only thing he got wrong in his re-telling was he had Joey Jones catching the ball rather than Preston Gothard.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Losses:
1) 1997 Iron Bowl- had to watch it with my AU loving stepmother which made it worse.
2) 1999 La Tech- I was @ the game and for some reason still bothers me. I guess it was Dubose’s inept coaching
3) 1995- Iron Bowl- still think Curtis Brown was in bounds when he caught the TD
4) 1991 Sun Bowl vs. Louisville- one of the first losses I can remember. Got embarrassed.
5) 2005 Iron Bowl- the “honk if you sacked Brody” game

Wins: (outside the 1992 season)
1) 2002 vs UT- I was living in West TN at the time. Only Bama fan on my dorm’s floor. I enjoyed it very much rubbing it in their Vol faces.
2) 1990 Iron Bowl- ended the streak. My dad and I painted the score on his truck windows with shoe polish
3) 1999 Miss St game- had lost to them in previous years. Sherill has them cheating, I mean playing well. Locked up the west.
4) 1999 UF games- had no business winning those games.
5) 2001 Iron Bowl- Loved blowing out AU in JHS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

I thought about this play the other day. It was one of the worst no calls I’ve ever seen. He just pushed Brown down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Wins

1993-Alabama/Miami: I enjoyed every minute of this beatdown! Miami fans like talk about the good ol “The U” days but they seem to forget about that game

1999-Alabama/Florida: I was shocked DuBose could lead a team into the swamp and win, much less beat them twice in a year

2005-Alabama/Florida: I just knew we were back from the abyss of probation

2009-Alabama/Tennessee: Saved our season and anytime you can break the heart of Tennessee, it’s always good. I HATE TENNESSEE!!!!

2012-Alabama/LSU: I was at BWW running around the restaurant after Yeldon caught that pass

Losses

1994-Alabama/Florida: That was a NC we watched go up in smoke. As much as I liked Stallings, I hated he didn’t have a offense that was built to keep up with the Florida’s, FSU’s, and Nebraska’s of the world

2001-Alabama/LSU: Watching Rohan Davey have his way at BDS was hard to stomach

2006-Alabama/Auburn: That stupid “Fear the Thumb” shirt comes to mind when I think about this game. I hated to watch Bama lose but I remember feeling like we had hit the lowest point we could ever reach and Shula had to go NOW! I remember telling my wife, “One day, we’ll be back”

2010-Alabama/USCe: I honestly thought we would roll in there and win easily. Outside of the 2010 Iron Bowl, That was one of the most shocking losses I’ve ever seen

2013-Alabama/Auburn: I don’t care what nobody say, Auburn is the luckiest team ever. The way they beat UGA that year made me uncomfortable and I just felt that “Barn Magic” was coming back around. We could blow them out 56-0 and I could never get the satisfaction those darn Barn fans got from that Kick 6. I refuse to watch that game ever again and I get irritated when ESPN, CBS, etc replays it

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.