ESPN's top 150 greatest teams in college football history

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That list is an absolute joke.

Does anyone really think there have been 50 teams better than our 2011 team????

Once again, they’re amped up on offensive stats and defense is just something that exists.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
That list is an absolute joke.

Does anyone really think there have been 50 teams better than our 2011 team????

Once again, they’re amped up on offensive stats and defense is just something that exists.
^^^^^ This.

That 2011 team was one of the best ever.

It's also criminal that the team we lost to that year is not even on the list. Title or not, that LSU team was one of the best.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
^^^^^ This.

That 2011 team was one of the best ever.

It's also criminal that the team we lost to that year is not even on the list. Title or not, that LSU team was one of the best.
If that LSU team beats Alabama in the BCSCG, they are a top 10 team. They played a monster schedule that year.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Boy, I could spend hours on this subject. What strikes at home with me is how many of the teams I've actually seen in person. While the eye test is not invaluable, it does provide credibility to one's opinion. The very best team I ever saw on Owen Field was the 1966 Notre Dame squad. I saw that 1976 Pitt team a year earlier in Norman and we whipped them so badly they took Dorsett out in the 3rd qtr. for fear of injury. Those Nebraska teams in the '90's with Tommy Frasier were fantastic. Most long time OU fans think the '49 team was our best because of the # of older vets on the team. I think our '78 team was as good as we've had but a Sims fumble 8n Lincoln cost us the NC. Texas '05 is a lot like Auburn with Cam...one great player. Those SC teams under McKay were great and Miami in the middle '80's was tremendous ( we were 33-3 during that period and all 3 losses were to the Canes. ) These rankings are fun but not very productive. It's easier to say who shouldn't be on the list.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
The '92 team summary doesn't even include what quite possibly is the greatest play in the history of college football - George Teague's taking the ball away from Miami WR Lamar Thomas (aka. "Big Mouth") and running the other way. The play was nullified by a penalty but if he hadn't done that, Miami scores and the game may have turned.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Boy, I could spend hours on this subject. What strikes at home with me is how many of the teams I've actually seen in person. While the eye test is not invaluable, it does provide credibility to one's opinion. The very best team I ever saw on Owen Field was the 1966 Notre Dame squad. I saw that 1976 Pitt team a year earlier in Norman and we whipped them so badly they took Dorsett out in the 3rd qtr. for fear of injury. Those Nebraska teams in the '90's with Tommy Frasier were fantastic. Most long time OU fans think the '49 team was our best because of the # of older vets on the team. I think our '78 team was as good as we've had but a Sims fumble 8n Lincoln cost us the NC. Texas '05 is a lot like Auburn with Cam...one great player. Those SC teams under McKay were great and Miami in the middle '80's was tremendous ( we were 33-3 during that period and all 3 losses were to the Canes. ) These rankings are fun but not very productive. It's easier to say who shouldn't be on the list.
Hard to make any argument against the 90's Cornhusker teams being in the top 10. They were amazing to watch for their strength and discipline and talent. Great coaching and execution.

I think you could take your pick of a handful of NEB, USC, BAMA and maybe Miami & FSU & ND & TEX teams in the "modern" era and a handful of pre WWII teams and come up with a great list of teams for top 10-20. Hard to identify an order, though if you take the best 2 or 3 of those.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Knowing a few die-hard Arkansas fans, I'm sure they are a tad disgruntled about their '64 team being ranked #76. Maybe a consolation is that they are ranked above Alabama's '64 team. Too bad for them the AP knew we were better when they submitted their votes 55 years ago.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Which of our teams faced six SEC opponents coming off a bye...and we still won the NC?

Truly amazing team!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.