DirecTV could drop ESPN Networks & ABC tonight

ALB215

Aug 3, 2019
Mobile County
An unlocked Amazon fire stick solves all these problems. Oh man you couldn't pay me to go back to cable after having one of those. Also a good antenna like Clear Tv or Channel Master is great for local channels.

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
An unlocked Amazon fire stick solves all these problems. Oh man you couldn't pay me to go back to cable after having one of those. Also a good antenna like Clear Tv or Channel Master is great for local channels.
...Until your ISP closes your account for illegal activity...

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Re: DirecTV could drop ESPN Networks & ABC tonight

I don't really understand the fascination with cord-cutting and constant provider switching to try to save money. All you're doing is adding headache while sacrificing quality and you rarely seem to actually save much money overall - especially factoring in what you're sacrificing.

I have Comcast everything, basically. ~500Mb (actual effective speed) internet, 260+ channels including premium movie channels, monitored home security, and two smart phones with unlimited data. I also have both Netflix and Hulu.

My parents switched to ATT a few years ago to save money and have since been switched to DTV for their TV service. They have a stripped-down TV package and ~50Mb internet. They also have two smartphones with unlimited data, monitored home security, and Netflix.

The money they're saving each month for missing out on 2/3 of the TV choices and having only 10% of the internet speed I have?
Just over $50.

My aunt and uncle cut the cord by switching to their cell provider for phone and internet, including a dedicated data (cell router) line for their house. They intended to also use it for their RV but that's been more trouble than it was worth so they just use their phones while traveling. They have Netflix and Hulu with live TV. They're having to pay a little extra for their home security monitoring since they dropped their landline.

The money they're saving each month for all they're sacrificing?
Less than $50.

We all live in the same area and they could have the same packages I have.

The extras I have that they're sacrificing to "save money" I'd value at around $100 a month.

It doesn't seem worth it, to me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
Yes, I completely agree. I have had DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket continuously for about 25 years. No problems with service. They offer everything I could possibly want. I don't think about service providers very much.

I don't fault AT&T for standing up to Disney. They are both big boys in this industry. Everyone wants low prices, but then expects the cable and satellite companies to accept higher and higher fees from the program providers.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I don't know that I'm saving much money anymore, because I've upgraded my Internet to AT&T fiber, which has been fantastic so far. I've got Ubiquiti network gear driving it now, which has allowed me to actually realize the bandwidth increase and am now seeing no hiccups whatsoever in the live sports on Hulu TV. So it's about what I was paying a couple of years ago for Charter TV and Internet bundled, but the speed is substantially better (approx 55 mbps compared to well over 300 mbps over wifi now). Plus I just like how the app is packaged. I don't want over 200 channels. Frankly I only want sports and the Disney/Nickolodean for the kids.

So there are pluses and minuses either way. I figure these disputes are coming for the Internet apps in the future though. It's part of the nature of the beast.
we're saving some money. but another benefit for us is that we watch a hell of a lot less tv than we used to, which at least for us is a net plus.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

I Have read about cord-cutting pricing for what you get is not much difference, then when the internet is out whoops all is lost.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama

I don't really understand the fascination with cord-cutting and constant provider switching to try to save money. All you're doing is adding headache while sacrificing quality and you rarely seem to actually save much money overall - especially factoring in what you're sacrificing.

I have Comcast everything, basically. ~500Mb (actual effective speed) internet, 260+ channels including premium movie channels, monitored home security, and two smart phones with unlimited data. I also have both Netflix and Hulu.

My parents switched to ATT a few years ago to save money and have since been switched to DTV for their TV service. They have a stripped-down TV package and ~50Mb internet. They also have two smartphones with unlimited data, monitored home security, and Netflix.

The money they're saving each month for missing out on 2/3 of the TV choices and having only 10% of the internet speed I have?
Just over $50.

My aunt and uncle cut the cord by switching to their cell provider for phone and internet, including a dedicated data (cell router) line for their house. They intended to also use it for their RV but that's been more trouble than it was worth so they just use their phones while traveling. They have Netflix and Hulu with live TV. They're having to pay a little extra for their home security monitoring since they dropped their landline.

The money they're saving each month for all they're sacrificing?
Less than $50.

We all live in the same area and they could have the same packages I have.

The extras I have that they're sacrificing to "save money" I'd value at around $100 a month.

It doesn't seem worth it, to me.

I Have read about cord-cutting pricing for what you get is not much difference, then when the internet is out whoops all is lost.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
if you have cable, if the internet is out, 99% of the time your cable is out.......same line for both
Different signal. Most of the time that I lose internet, cable is fine. By most of the time, I mean almost always.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
ISPs don’t close accounts because you watch or download stuff illegally, or they rarely do. If they did than piracy wouldn’t be a huge problem because all those accounts would get shut down.
Well, to be fair, I do only know of two people who've had it happen because of fire-stick activity.

It seemed to be much more common back in limewire's heyday but torrents slowed it down quite a bit.

Personally, I think ISPs have basically decided to only do it often enough to keep certain people happy after growing tired of the net result seemingly only being losing customers to another ISP.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I just read where the Ole Miss game will be at 2:30 central on CBS. I thought for sure it would be a night game.
I assumed we would be on the CBS game of the week. We are a lot. one of the big reasons we have so few night games. you would think we could at least get more og the other ones at night, like this weekend...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm doing a five day trial of PS Vue with an Amazon Fire Stick 4K. I've got 7 people in my house which 6 of the 7 are internet users. I haven't had ONE hiccup yet with buffering. I watched Monday Night Football with everybody on some sort of device using the internet and not one time did it buffer or anything. The picture was crisp, clean and just like my HD on satellite. I'll be saving $80/month and actually getting more content my family will watch. We were already Amazon Prime users and once I hooked everything up realized Amazon Prime offers all kind of "stuff" to their online shoppers. Bye, Bye DirectTV.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
cfb streams reddit is a good thing to google
I appreciate you mentioning this. It's where I spend the majority of my college football time, when not watching the games. It's also the host of a recorded weekly show, called From The Stands, myself and several others host! We are having a lot of fun with it, and if you like, check out our previous week's shows. New ones every Thursday night!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I'm doing a five day trial of PS Vue with an Amazon Fire Stick 4K. I've got 7 people in my house which 6 of the 7 are internet users. I haven't had ONE hiccup yet with buffering. I watched Monday Night Football with everybody on some sort of device using the internet and not one time did it buffer or anything. The picture was crisp, clean and just like my HD on satellite. I'll be saving $80/month and actually getting more content my family will watch. We were already Amazon Prime users and once I hooked everything up realized Amazon Prime offers all kind of "stuff" to their online shoppers. Bye, Bye DirectTV.
I have Sling Orange with a $20 add on which includes dvr. I hate that I can't record shows from ESPN or rewind. My cost is $45 a month. How much is Vue? I also have a fire stick and fire tv recast for local channel recording.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have Sling Orange with a $20 add on which includes dvr. I hate that I can't record shows from ESPN or rewind. My cost is $45 a month. How much is Vue? I also have a fire stick and fire tv recast for local channel recording.
I'm trial running the $54 package. You can look that package up on their website. I love it. I get all the sports channels and kid channels with Vue that I did with Direct TV for almost $80 less per month. Plus, ZERO buffering and a very good picture.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.