Link: S. Carolina to consider Fair Pay For Pay to play type bill (ESPN Article)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So does the IRS get a taste of these kids’ stipends? And to that point are they state employees, receiving state money from the university?
This isn't about stipends. It is about endorsement money. None of this money will come from the school or the state.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Would giving them a monthly “allowance” to cover expenses not covered by their scholarship fix this?

I’ve seen social media posts about kids not eating, not having enough money for gas, etc. I’m thinking you could give them a living expense especially in the non school months to help cover costs without them losing eligibility.
They already get cash stipends for this purpose! Something I've argued for by the way. This is one reason I feel that misinformation or misunderstanding is part of the issue. In the past this was an issue, but they get thousands of dollars cash yearly now, which do cover these gaps (even if the players don't have a job, which they are free to do). Furthermore there used to be some issues because the NCAA restricted the food that could be provided, but that's now lifted as well. I'm for things like that by the way, I want the athletes to be completely and adequately taken care of.

College kids moved away from this train of thought years ago because Title IX forced them to do so. They now want to be free to make money from their name and likeness. It costs the schools nothing. The money comes from the businesses willing to pay them.

This also takes Title IX completely out of the picture since the pay comes from entities other than the schools. All athletes should be allowed to seek these contracts, men and women, based on their personal marketability.

Why would anyone oppose this?
I'll start with your question. Because it is an outside entity imposing their will on the NCAA, a voluntary organization. It's saying you have to do it this way. Remember, no one, anywhere is making these players play NCAA college football.

The bigger issue here though is that this is basically forcing the NCAA to give up on the notion of amateurism entirely. You can't really say ok you are compensated professionals, a little bit. Once you say these guys can be paid an unlimited amount of money as football players, there's nothing left of the amateur model. Anyone can pay what ever they want to induce a player to go to a particular school, and that's the thread that people can keep pulling on to unravel the whole thing. That's the goal to by the way, a lot of people out there that don't want to tear the whole thing down.

There's a lot of consequences with that though, as JessN alluded to...

Having said all that, I do think there are more pro-player things that can be done within the amateur model to take even better care of the players. But it is not the place of outside entities who honestly don't care what happens (beyond pushing an agenda) to determine how this is done.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sometimes, when civil rights are at stake, the government has to step in. I hate that it is necessary, but human beings take advantage of other human beings.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Sometimes, when civil rights are at stake, the government has to step in. I hate that it is necessary, but human beings take advantage of other human beings.
Based on the question I asked and the answers I’m getting, they are getting paid. Maybe not for their likeness, but they didn’t sign up to play for money based on their likeness. They signed up to play collegiate football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
A couple of my thoughts:
1) There are no civil rights violations, Players had no market before entering into scholarship arrangement, they are famous due to maximizing the opportunity they were provided and can quit, find a semi pro team, and go pro when old enough. Its a quid pro quo for a limited duration.
2) I can't go solicit work directly from my employers customers to perform the same work I do for my employer and expect to remain employed.
3) This will destroy the culture of college football. Players will be about themselves, very few will be able to take advantage, most will be left out.
4) It does take away funding to athletics, marketing budgets are not unlimited. If a company is targeting an alabama football market, if they give 50% of budget to Tua, then Alabama will get 50% instead of 100% of what they would have otherwise. Maybe initially they bump up their budgets, but not enough.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Guys, I am not trying to change your minds. We can agree to disagree. You are bright folks, and I respect your opinions. We just disagree.

:cheers2:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I agree.....but is being paid to play college football a civil right?

If some get paid and others don't because of where they are from, their race, their religion, etc -- okay....

OR if we pay basketball and baseball but not football -- okay.....

OR if we pay only the Quarterback --- okay......

OR if students got paid to give a speech, or perform a dance, but college football players didn't get one for playing football --- okay......

But if no one gets paid and was never promised to be paid -- how is this a violation of civil rights?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree.....but is being paid to play college football a civil right?
A good question, and this is the definition, and just my opinion:

Definition: Civil and political rights are a class of rights that protect individuals' freedom from infringement by governments, social organizations, and private individuals.

The NCAA is infringing on the rights of these young men to earn endorsement revenue that companies have been dying to pay them for decades. The courts agree, and the NCAA is going to have to change this soon.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
A good question, and this is the definition, and just my opinion:

Definition: Civil and political rights are a class of rights that protect individuals' freedom from infringement by governments, social organizations, and private individuals.

The NCAA is infringing on the rights of these young men to earn endorsement revenue that companies have been dying to pay them for decades. The courts agree, and the NCAA is going to have to change this soon.
Can a public University own a professional sports team?

But could they earn the endorsements if the college version of the sport didn’t exist ?

Each of these people can earn endorsements now - they just have to quit the team.

They can still go to college. They just can’t participate any longer in the sport.

A lot smarter people than me are deciding this. But this will end college money sports.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Are athletes in “non-revenue” sports given the same stipends as FB/BB players?
This has nothing to do with stipends. So, no. No players are getting stipends as a result of the legislation in any sport, including football.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My question was in regards to right now. I’m actually curious about this because my oldest son is a baseball player with the potential of being a D1 guy.
Thanks for the clarification. At least some schools are doing this for all athletes, including some pretty small schools.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think college athletes should get stipends just like a grad student gets for assistantships. Grad students get that money because research is a primary mission for a university and grad students are largely the labor means for such research. Student athletics might not be a primary mission but it is in service of the university's mission by helping attract quality students. This is especially true for larger institutions where college athletics is one of the primary recruiting tools for academics.

I don't think it is practical to expect big salaries because the system has to be applicable to at least D-1 athletics. I also have some misgivings about the rights to player likeness because it is an easy avenue for graft. When a kid goes and signs photos for a fixed price few hours at a mall...that seems justified. When a kid goes to a car dealership and signs a photo for cash value that allows them to purchase a McLaren...that seems dubious to me.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
Thanks for the clarification. At least some schools are doing this for all athletes, including some pretty small schools.
Thanks
I wonder if there is some language in the current rules that provides for different amounts for athletes in different sports. Although I’d guess title 9 would probably prevent that.

Like most issues these days, it seems like there is probably a reasonable solution in the middle ground somewhere

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thanks
I wonder if there is some language in the current rules that provides for different amounts for athletes in different sports. Although I’d guess title 9 would probably prevent that.

Like most issues these days, it seems like there is probably a reasonable solution in the middle ground somewhere
I read somewhere that stipends are only allowed for full ride schollies. Not sure if that is true or not, but it makes sense.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I read somewhere that stipends are only allowed for full ride schollies. Not sure if that is true or not, but it makes sense.
Looking at it from a parent perspective, who needs it more? The full ride football player or the 25-33% baseball player. Mind you, I’m not complaining, just curious as to the lay of the land. Things will really be picking up steam for us/son in the next 18 months

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Looking at it from a parent perspective, who needs it more? The full ride football player or the 25-33% baseball player. Mind you, I’m not complaining, just curious as to the lay of the land. Things will really be picking up steam for us/son in the next 18 months
Good luck to your son. I have 2 boys, ages 19 and 22. I get it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.