Link: S. Carolina to consider Fair Pay For Pay to play type bill (ESPN Article)

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I no expert and really don't know all the scenarios that are going around about how they might get paid. I do know that if this begins then it will get out of hand quite soon. Also with the players getting paid does this give the universities more control over the players like if you don't meet the need then we will get somebody else. Just like Tebow said it will begin to make college football start looking like the pros.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The issue is there are only a few "profitable" athletic departments in the country. If you want to see the actual market for semi-pros, look at the recent failed league. Truth is there is far more interest in the schools than the players themselves.

Now, I get that this is a allow players to make money type of deal, but this is just a back door to outright paying players, who already happen to have total compensation that is competitive with what semi-pro football can provide.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I would love to see a realistic breakdown of tuition, housing, meals, supplements, weight training, rehab (if needed), clothing, travel, tutoring, career development, and everything else a school like Alabama already “pays” these athletes.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I would love to see a realistic breakdown of tuition, housing, meals, supplements, weight training, rehab (if needed), clothing, travel, tutoring, career development, and everything else a school like Alabama already “pays” these athletes.
Some of that is like counting the desktop computer I have at work as compensation. Furthermore, NFL teams have meals, supplements, weight training, rehab, etc and they aren't using that as an excuse to lower compensation. They do that to better their investment.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The issue is there are only a few "profitable" athletic departments in the country. If you want to see the actual market for semi-pros, look at the recent failed league. Truth is there is far more interest in the schools than the players themselves.

Now, I get that this is a allow players to make money type of deal, but this is just a back door to outright paying players, who already happen to have total compensation that is competitive with what semi-pro football can provide.
Well said, but some folks think those poor kids should get more. They are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. Personally, I think it is just another liberal agenda idea to kill a sport that is barbaric in their minds. If regular folks don't wake up and stand up for their beliefs, what it means to be an American will completely change, and we'll have no one to blame but ourselves. It is truly sad.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Some of that is like counting the desktop computer I have at work as compensation. Furthermore, NFL teams have meals, supplements, weight training, rehab, etc and they aren't using that as an excuse to lower compensation. They do that to better their investment.
Really? How? They get free tuition that is worth tens of thousands of dollars. They get room and board that is worth tens of thousands of dollars. They get top notch training and coaching worth tens of thousands. They get tutors and academic assistance worth thousands. The only comparison to your desktop is if we said their helmet and uniform was worth money, which it is, but that is needed for the job and is therefore supplied. Oh, by the way, they also get a lot of free clothes. Good grief!
Now, don't misunderstand me. I've never had a problem with some alum giving a kid money. I've never understood why someone would want to give their money to a kid just to play a sport, but clearly some do. I do not, however, think a university should sweeten what is already a very generous pot. Heck, just get rid of scholarships and let the NFL create minor leagues if that is your belief. I'll still watch the student-athletes who represent my university.

Last edited:

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I guess a better way to say it would be to compare what’s available to them vs the avg student. I suppose it was more a question for conversation
I get that it’s a complicated issue. My son has a realistic shot at being a D1 baseball player. I know if these types of laws get passed, it likely won’t affect him as baseball doesn’t generate the revenue that football and the basketball tournament do.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Yeah, not a fan. This will ruin college football as we have known and loved for so long. Beginning of the end I'm afraid, but I hope I'm wrong.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Roll some spirited frat boys out in Crimson and White who want nothing more than to play for UA and I’ll cheer for them. Roll out play per view and I’m out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It's in the $90,000 range from what I understand (which is competitive with even unsustainable semi-pro compensation). They are paid cash stipends as well, which I suppose is included in that but they literally get thousands of dollars now as well. What this doesn't include is the value of being coached by people like Nick Saban, which has proven to be worth a great deal of money since his 5 stars go on to make more money (which is the point of college, to up your value in the marketplace).

Furthermore, NFL teams have meals, supplements, weight training, rehab, etc and they aren't using that as an excuse to lower compensation. They do that to better their investment.
And most college players will never play for an NFL team... It's valid to compare it to semi-pro teams, it's not valid to compare college players compensation, many of which are actually eligible for the NFL to NFL compensation.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Basically the crux of most arguments are "they aren't labor because I don't want them to be" but just fluffed up a bit.

They're labor. Deal with it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Basically the crux of most arguments are "they aren't labor because I don't want them to be" but just fluffed up a bit.

They're labor. Deal with it.
If they are labor in this sense, then every single college athlete is labor as well.

Who is going to pay them all, and with what money? I guess all high school athletes are labor as well? I was labor? Are all middle school athletes labor as well? Should we ban all sports under a certain age because they are using child labor?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If they are labor in this sense, then every single college athlete is labor as well.

Who is going to pay them all, and with what money? I guess all high school athletes are labor as well? I was labor? Are all middle school athletes labor as well? Should we ban all sports under a certain age because they are using child labor?
I reckon what will happen is the non-revenue generators will just need to do bake sales instead of expecting the revenue generators to bootstrap them. High school athletics is not a multi-billion dollar industry, so I don't see your point about child labor.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I reckon what will happen is the non-revenue generators will just need to do bake sales instead of expecting the revenue generators to bootstrap them. High school athletics is not a multi-billion dollar industry, so I don't see your point about child labor.
If it's labor, then it's labor. And, that is my point. If we view what is now considered amateur athletics, most of which lose money (yes, even many college football programs), as labor then we have to consider it unethical to have children perform this "labor" at all. So we need to eradicate these activities for children under a certain age so as to not take advantage of them.

Or, we concede that amateur sports are not labor and they are activities that these people willfully participate in. I spend a large portion of my youth playing sports, I did it because I wanted to. No one forced or compelled me to, and no one is making these guys play college sports either. Look at basketball, where they can easily go overseas and play in Europe professionally (well the best can, for many that's not an option), yet a vast majority choose not to. Trying to tear down the entire amateur model of sports, which has worked for millions of kids because of certain agendas is just absurd.

Edit: Let me add this, because I think this needs to be clarified. Football and basketball don't actually pay for college athletics in general. Subsidies are what ends up closing the gap, to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars a year (I suppose if totaled up it could be in the billions).

Last edited:

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I honestly don’t see a problem with players making money of their own name. Take Tua for example, everybody making money off of Tua’s name but himself (until May 2020 of course).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.