Bama Game Thread: Official Postgame Thread Bama vs. USCe...

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
We did. I think it is because the schedule was completely reset when aTm and Missouri joined the conference. At the time we were supposed to play SC again in about 2yrs, but the conference created an entirely new schedule when the new teams were added. I distinctly remember a couple teams having to play back to back road games against the same team between 2011 & 2012. I think either LSU or Florida was one, having to play a road game against the other two years in a row, which is a bit worse than playing a road game against the same team again 9yrs later.
RJ, I may be wrong, but looking it up, appears Ole Siss was the only team that played back to back on the road in '12 and '13, and it was against us in TTown.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't know what to think about this team. Hard to evaluate the run game because it basically was not used until the game was in hand. Our top two backs had 15 total carries. The defense looked as soft against the run as we've been under Saban but the playcalling was dirt simple and easy to exploit by the opponent. I don't think what we do best on offense fits what we need to protect the defense. We need to be able to TOPball teams and limit the number of glances a good offense gets at our young defense.

We have a 3-game schedule - TAMU, LSU, Auburn - and I wouldn't be confident of our chances in any of three games. Furthermore, it is kinda scary to hear Saban in the post-game press conference basically talking about not having enough bodies and we're not even out of September yet. We're probably one injury in the front seven from needing to go full Big-12 and just try to shoot-out-to-win.

Last edited:

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I don't know what to think about this team. Hard to evaluate the run game because it basically was not used until the game was in hand. Our top two backs had 15 total carries. The defense looked as soft against the run as we've been under Saban but the playcalling was dirt simple and easy to exploit by the opponent. I don't think what we do best on offense fits what we need to protect the defense. We need to be able to TOPball teams and limit the number of glances a good offense gets at our young defense.

We have a 3-game schedule - TAMU, LSU, Auburn - and I wouldn't be confident of our chances in any of three games. Furthermore, it is kinda scary to hear Saban in the post-game press conference basically talking about not having enough bodies and we're not even out of September yet. We're probably one injury in the front seven from needing to go full Big-12 and just try to shoot-out-to-win.
We are certainly missing those injured right now...…...

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN

It wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we took our next game and chose to run the ball 75% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I dont have any issues with this post, but we have to remember few things:

1. We are a pass first offense. Teams are loading the box and forcing us to throw the ball... it is based on last year where Tua struggled. We will continue to see this until LSU game.

Bottom line: I'm not concerned because I see improvements in Game 3 compared to Game 1.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
There is one HUGE difference though...Tua listens to his coaches and actually tries to improve his craft and he has. He’s taking the checkdowns now. Defending him is only getting harder.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Here's few observations:
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...ntext-from-alabama-win-at-south-carolina.html

-- The running game was another talking point with a lack of yardage and attempts. Saban attributed it to South Carolina stacking the box. The Gamecocks had six in there on the second play and Najee Harris ran for 12.
I've been saying this for a while. Take what Defense gives us and we've been doing that.

-- You could see the young middle linebackers looking unsure of the call when the ball was snapped a few times. It was clear South Carolina wanted to exploit that and it was the first of Alabama’s three opponents with the players and scheme to do that.
That will be something to watch. Growing pains. As long they continue to get better each week, we will be okay.

-- South Carolina had four first downs via Alabama penalties. That included negating the first-drive interception because of an illegal substitution. For the season, seven of Alabama opponents’ 56 first downs resulted from penalties compared to two of the Tide’s 78.
-- The 11 Alabama flags for 92 yards didn’t sit well with Saban postgame.
Clean that up and SC probably wouldn't score half of the points.

-- Alabama’s defense allowed 459 yards without giving up a true home run. The longest Gamecock play was a 33-yard run by Rico Dowdle.
We will get better.

-- It looked like South Carolina wanted to get the ball on the edge of the formation to force Alabama defenders to make open-field tackles. Alabama had several WR screens too with varying results. One thrown to Jeudy had three DBs to that side and one blocker. He still squeezed through for a decent gain.
Opposing teams will do this knowing we missed lot of tackles. Clean that up and we will be okay.

-- On the carries before Najee Harris’ insane 42-yard touchdown catch, South Carolina had eight or nine guys dedicated to stopping the running game. Safeties were coming down in support and there just wasn’t anywhere to run.
Again, something to keep that in mind to why our running game wasn't working.... Expect to see more of that in coming weeks.

-- The three sacks of Hilinski were big for Alabama. The other pressures on the young passer made a difference too as the Tide were credited with five QB hurries. Terrell Lewis had two. For the season, Alabama has 13 hurries with Lewis’ four leading the way. After two years of injury, the Washington DC product has an extra burst off the snap. Jennings’ forced fumble midway through the third quarter snuck up on Hilinski with Christopher Allen creeping from the other edge.
It's not all about sacks.

We are going to be okay.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There is one HUGE difference though...Tua listens to his coaches and actually tries to improve his craft and he has. He’s taking the checkdowns now. Defending him is only getting harder.

The thing that caused him problems in 2018 down the stretch was the gameplans deployed practically only stretch the field vertically or attacked the void between safety and linebacker.

We're doing a better job of making defenses defend all of the field this year. Watching the replays, our run game was actually very solid though lightly used while Tua was in the game. The only negative play was on 3rd and goal but that has more weight because goal-to-go/short yard running is not a weakness championship caliber teams can afford. The problem was because the LG was on skates at the snap...maybe that improves when Brown gets back on the field.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Kind of surprised at how down everyone is on this year’s team already, especially after a 24 point win (which would’ve been a 31 point win if not for a late USC TD). Yes the defense is young, yes the running game isn’t up to standard but we’re 2 months away from our first significant game, we have time to fix some things.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Kind of surprised at how down everyone is on this year’s team already, especially after a 24 point win (which would’ve been a 31 point win if not for a late USC TD). Yes the defense is young, yes the running game isn’t up to standard but we’re 2 months away from our first significant game, we have time to fix some things.

You must be new to the fanbase. Welcome!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This wasn't a clean game. Ray going down really really stinks. But my expectations for this team have not changed much.

I used to think we'd crush LSU now I think we'll beat them in a game that is closer than we'd all like.

aTm we will beat with relative ease but the score will make it seem like it was closer than it was. Game shouldn't ever be in doubt.

Auburn. I'm not even slightly worried about this team but maybe I'm blind.

Now, Georgia worries me a heck of a lot more than they did to start the season. That's my biggest change. I'm not sure we're better than Georgia. We have the better QB and WRs though.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This wasn't a clean game. Ray going down really really stinks. But my expectations for this team have not changed much.

I used to think we'd crush LSU now I think we'll beat them in a game that is closer than we'd all like.

aTm we will beat with relative ease but the score will make it seem like it was closer than it was. Game shouldn't ever be in doubt.

Auburn. I'm not even slightly worried about this team but maybe I'm blind.

Now, Georgia worries me a heck of a lot more than they did to start the season. That's my biggest change. I'm not sure we're better than Georgia. We have the better QB and WRs though.
The thing is, I'm not sure we were better than Georgia in each of the last 2 games either. At least, they were better prepared going into each game and yet still lost. We will certainly know more about them after this weekend.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
death, taxes, and eeyores

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.