Game Thread: Florida @ Kentucky (ESPN)

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I've been in and out on watching this one, but I heard that there have 3 targeting ejections. Does anyone that saw the infractions think they were all targeting?
The last one was the worst. The D-lineman for UK made a basic tackle on the UF QB and got called for targeting. I honestly don't know what the refs wanted on that play. I don't care about either of these two teams, but games shouldn't be decided by bad calls from the refs and this one was.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Really hate the injury to Franks. Hope he makes a full recovery with minimal lingering in his every day life. An injury like that most likely will though.

But, UF’s offense looked much different with Trask. They were able to push the ball down the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I've been in and out on watching this one, but I heard that there have 3 targeting ejections. Does anyone that saw the infractions think they were all targeting?
I was enjoying watching a close game to see if UK could hold off Florida's comeback attempt with their second string QB. Then, a totally crap call happened, and I just turned it off. I find myself doing that more and more. I have no problem with a real targeting penalty designed to take out cheap shots. However, the call against Barmore today, and the call against the UK lineman were examples of situations where the defensive players are put in no win situations. People act like these guys aren't getting blocked by other athletic guys or that they can stop their momentum and change course like they are in the Matrix. Barmore was called for going high even though he just came off of a block and was simply standing up. The UK lineman tried to target the midsection, but the UF QB was in a different position. No rule should be allowed that punishes teams for simply playing the game of football. There are clear situations when guys "target", and I have no problem trying to get those plays out of the game. Simply punishing the defense for playing defense makes the games unwatchable.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I was enjoying watching a close game to see if UK could hold off Florida's comeback attempt with their second string QB. Then, a totally crap call happened, and I just turned it off. I find myself doing that more and more. I have no problem with a real targeting penalty designed to take out cheap shots. However, the call against Barmore today, and the call against the UK lineman were examples of situations where the defensive players are put in no win situations. People act like these guys aren't getting blocked by other athletic guys or that they can stop their momentum and change course like they are in the Matrix. Barmore was called for going high even though he just came off of a block and was simply standing up. The UK lineman tried to target the midsection, but the UF QB was in a different position. No rule should be allowed that punishes teams for simply playing the game of football. There are clear situations when guys "target", and I have no problem trying to get those plays out of the game. Simply punishing the defense for playing defense makes the games unwatchable.
Agreed. Yesterday was the first day this season that I have been able to sit down and watch football for most of the day since I'm recovering from a minor shoulder surgical procedure recently. I am appalled at what is being called a significant penalty now and I saw it in multiple games and it definitely affected the outcome of the UF-UK game. I have always loved college football but the stupid targeting penalties along with the constant stoppages of play for review are ruining the game for me. The refs are becoming the focus of the game instead of the players. Every game I watch on tv has more and more empty seats so I feel like you and I are not alone. The upper decks at the USCe game has plenty of empty seats. The UCLA-OU game appeared to me to only be about half full. That was unheard of just 10 years ago. It is not just HDTV and so many game being on tv that is causing the growing lack of interest by fans. The product on the field is not what it used to be.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I need to see a replay but I could have sworn the UK DL was in the process of making the tackle when the QB lowered his head. You can’t take the DL’s action in a vacuum and the replay official should have seen that and reversed the call for incidental contact. I thought if the targetee lowers his head to the targeter that it doesn’t fit the new definition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Bazza, I'm really sorry to see Franks get hurt. I would not wish that on any young man.
That said, this may be blessing in disguise, in that it will force Mullen to move on. I have not been impressed with Franks (one play he is great, the next play he is awful) and for the life of me I cannot understand what Mullen sees in him. Anyway, it appears that for this year anyway, the Gators have to move on and that is probably a good thing for this team.
Hope Franks recovers fully and there is a competition next summer for the starting QB job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.