Game Thread: Jalen Hurts vs Ucla

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Jalen Hurts can under ZERO circumstances win the Heisman Trophy -period.

You cannot possibly be the best player in the country when you're not even the best player on the team you left and (key point here) the guy who beat you out.....because he was a better player...is STILL playing.

What's funny is that everyone rants about "Alabama privilege," but if Hurts ran up these stats at Texas Tech rather than Oklahoma, nobody with a brain would say, "He's a Heisman winner." But you put an OU jersey on the kid and magically a "system" turns into "we have the best player."

I tend to be fine with a lot of Sooner fans (including wishbonesooner and owenfielddreams here), but this whole narrative of Lincoln Riley turning Hurts into some kind of other worldly football player is laughable on its face.
I concur...…………...as for OU, I could see Texas possibly beating them

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I like Jalen as a player and person but it’s what I predicted would happen weeks ago. Woe is me narratives gonna make me not pay attention or care.
It's the same thing as people complaining about our schedule.

Not one damned word about Clemson's EASIER schedule......Clemson plays "tough OOC games like ATM" (but Alabama plays nobody, even though we play ATM).

Now it's "Hurts is doing what he couldn't at Alabama." Uh yeah, because he isn't PLAYING THE SAME TEAMS every week with better defenses.

Kyler Murray fled the SEC and got rewarded for it with a trophy.
Jalen may do the same - and again, nobody would even say this if he played for any Big 12 school other than Oklahoma or (possibly) Texas.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
It's the same thing as people complaining about our schedule.

Not one damned word about Clemson's EASIER schedule......Clemson plays "tough OOC games like ATM" (but Alabama plays nobody, even though we play ATM).

Now it's "Hurts is doing what he couldn't at Alabama." Uh yeah, because he isn't PLAYING THE SAME TEAMS every week with better defenses.

Kyler Murray fled the SEC and got rewarded for it with a trophy.
Jalen may do the same - and again, nobody would even say this if he played for any Big 12 school other than Oklahoma or (possibly) Texas.
Very true...………of course, that's the media for you

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Jalen Hurts can under ZERO circumstances win the Heisman Trophy -period.

You cannot possibly be the best player in the country when you're not even the best player on the team you left and (key point here) the guy who beat you out.....because he was a better player...is STILL playing.

What's funny is that everyone rants about "Alabama privilege," but if Hurts ran up these stats at Texas Tech rather than Oklahoma, nobody with a brain would say, "He's a Heisman winner." But you put an OU jersey on the kid and magically a "system" turns into "we have the best player."

I tend to be fine with a lot of Sooner fans (including wishbonesooner and owenfielddreams here), but this whole narrative of Lincoln Riley turning Hurts into some kind of other worldly football player is laughable on its face.
The only thing this situation reinforces for me is that they gave it to the wrong guy last year.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I remarked after the Houston game that the narrative be was being formulated. Alabama was patently unfair to Jalen and CNS ran him off. Now in the warm and nurturing embrace of the “quarterback whisperer” Lincoln Riley, Jalen is resurrected to win the Heisman and show the world that good (Lincoln Riley) does triumph over evil (CNS).

If the Jalen quote is correct and in context, looks like he too is buying into the narrative.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I like Jalen as a player and person but it’s what I predicted would happen weeks ago. Woe is me narratives gonna make me not pay attention or care.
I was tired of it mid-summer. I’m no longer a Hurts fan. I appreciate and thank him for his time at Bama but, he’s with the enemy now. I want him and OU to fail. If that quote is true, then it just re-enforces my thinking.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I remarked after the Houston game that the narrative be was being formulated. Alabama was patently unfair to Jalen and CNS ran him off. Now in the warm and nurturing embrace of the “quarterback whisperer” Lincoln Riley, Jalen is resurrected to win the Heisman and show the world that good (Lincoln Riley) does triumph over evil (CNS).

If the Jalen quote is correct and in context, looks like he too is buying into the narrative.
It’s not going to matter what Tua does or accomplishes imo. I agree that the media template die has been cast on the whole Jalen Hurts story. Get ready for the biggest, media-driven heisman coronation in the history of the award.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
It’s not going to matter what Tua does or accomplishes imo. I agree that the media template die has been cast on the whole Jalen Hurts story. Get ready for the biggest, media-driven heisman coronation in the history of the award.
I've been expecting that since he played his first game...……………. IF the quote is true and he truly feels that way, then all I can say is good luck to him

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Of course, they just quoted Jalen as having said “I didn’t have a chance to prove I was the best player when I was a junior.”

come again?
And thus, my trepidation over this whole ordeal is explained. Hopefully, he was misquoted. Hopefully, we don't have the proper context. But other snippets from him tend to back this through process up.

He could not do at Alabama what he is now doing at Oklahoma. That was proven. If he doesn't feel that it was... I'm sorry for him. NO ONE has done at Alabama what Tua has done. He has barely played a season and a half and he is about to break the all-time TD's responsible for record. He's going to own almost all of the passing records. He is a clear cut #1 draft pick if he stays healthy.

The Oklahoma program and offense is tailor made for Jalen. But I would not guarantee him the Heisman or OU an undefeated record. I still see the same flaws in his game. He's just not playing defenses that can make him pay for them. There are some tough teams in the Big 12 and OU's defense, while improved, is still vulnerable.

I still wish Jalen well in life. I'll still watch because, I honestly enjoy the good things he can do. He's a fun player to watch when he's on fire.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I follow OU religiously and I have never heard him say what is being stated that he said. I have heard him say he relished the chance to prove himself....paraphrasing here. He has never to my knowledge said anything negative about his time at Alabama. From a coaching standpoint all we are seeing is Riley scheming to take advantage of his talents. I would hate for you guys to get down on him. He is a credit to your program.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I follow OU religiously and I have never heard him say what is being stated that he said. I have heard him say he relished the chance to prove himself....paraphrasing here. He has never to my knowledge said anything negative about his time at Alabama. From a coaching standpoint all we are seeing is Riley scheming to take advantage of his talents. I would hate for you guys to get down on him. He is a credit to your program.
Given my skepticism of the media getting anything right in the first place, I'm gonna concur with you until further developments validate such a comment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.