Game Thread: Jalen Hurts vs Ucla

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Just keep looking for things to criticize. My assumption is he wants the #2 QB to get in some work. I think the purpose of the O is to score. My question is why did he obviously take his foot off the gas in the 3rd qtr. We became very vanilla.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I’m happy for Jalen, I really am. He helped win a lot of games for us. what I don’t like is the media-driven narrative being created. In their minds, the heisman is already Jalen’s to lose—just three games into the season. Add that to national Bama fatigue, and we all know where this is headed.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Maybe...he's not a bad dude so I won't be mad. I just won't like the stupid people saying it's cause of the OK coach. Jalen was good even before getting there. So this is all because he's a great athlete.
Jalen is one of my all time favorite Bama players. My comment is not directed at him but the whole Heisman process which is a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Just keep looking for things to criticize. My assumption is he wants the #2 QB to get in some work. I think the purpose of the O is to score. My question is why did he obviously take his foot off the gas in the 3rd qtr. We became very vanilla.
My question is, if he obviously took his foot off the gas, why not get the #2 QB in earlier to get some work? Why risk injury to your next big transfer QB?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I follow OU religiously and I have never heard him say what is being stated that he said. I have heard him say he relished the chance to prove himself....paraphrasing here. He has never to my knowledge said anything negative about his time at Alabama. From a coaching standpoint all we are seeing is Riley scheming to take advantage of his talents. I would hate for you guys to get down on him. He is a credit to your program.
Here here Owen. We are a competitive group as Tide Fans just like you are for OU. The media distorts to create controversy for ratings. I personally will always pull for Jalen and I think most Tide Fans do as well. There is only one trophy that I care to hoist and that's the one to commemorate the winning the championship as the best team in college football in 2019. As one fan to another, I am very happy Jalen is at OU and frankly I hope you guys win your league under his leadership. I'd rather you play Clempson in the semis but if and when we meet in the playoffs we will be gunning to take OU down no matter who is QB. Great story that Jalen Hurts. Proud to have had him here and now that he is in Norman I find myself watching more of your games. I just think that is what football is all about...individuals and their stories.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I’m happy for Jalen, I really am. He helped win a lot of games for us. what I don’t like is the media-driven narrative being created. In their minds, the heisman is already Jalen’s to lose—just three games into the season. Add that to national Bama fatigue, and we all know where this is headed.
Yep, I don’t think Jalen has any ill-will towards Alabama but the media wants Jalen to have beef with Alabama.

They’re making it seem like Jalen was treated badly by CNS.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
OU fans have always had an issue with keeping the starting QB in longer than seemed necessary throughout Stoops' tenure. Riley has shown the same tendency. We were substituting liberally in all positions but QB. My sense is, and this is only one man's opinion, Riley doesn't have confidence in our D yet which is understandable. Riley also has a tendency to get conservative at the start of the year 2nd half. He caught some flack about it in the Georgia game. As good as Hurts has shown, as an avid follower of the team, there are some things that concern me.

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
I like Jalen a lot. I like what I see about Tua both on the field and off. I want them both to succeed. They are both great players. All Jalen can do is play the teams that show up to play the Sooners. I dont understand why you guys have to put down Lincoln Riley or Jalen for that matter.No one around here has put Tua down to make Jalen look better. The media is doing what they do, if there is no story, make one up.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I like Jalen a lot. I like what I see about Tua both on the field and off. I want them both to succeed. They are both great players. All Jalen can do is play the teams that show up to play the Sooners. I dont understand why you guys have to put down Lincoln Riley or Jalen for that matter.No one around here has put Tua down to make Jalen look better. The media is doing what they do, if there is no story, make one up.
There are a lot of us on the same page with you Wishbone. Fan bases are large and diverse (thank God) but the majority of us have the same view.

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
A lot of you said the Heisman isnt that important, I'm like you, a national championship is a lot better. One thing about the Heisman, the best high school QBs in the country are giving OU a look where they weren't a couple of years ago. The Heisman may not be the best reward at the end of a season, but it's not nothing.
Good Luck the rest of the way.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
A lot of you said the Heisman isnt that important, I'm like you, a national championship is a lot better. One thing about the Heisman, the best high school QBs in the country are giving OU a look where they weren't a couple of years ago. The Heisman may not be the best reward at the end of a season, but it's not nothing.
Good Luck the rest of the way.
It's something. I wanted Tua to win it last year, felt he deserved it, and still do. So there's a bit of a sore spot over this with some of us, and always will be. Part of coping with that is putting it down, I guess, and there are a lot of problems with how it's all handled with the media. But it's the most prestigious individual award in CFB, and will be until they stop playing the game.

I said in another thread somewhere today, but guys like Jalen Hurts and Justin Fields are better off in their new environments. Now, Jalen did very well here for us, don't get me wrong. But Fields was never going to reach his potential at Georgia, and Jalen was never going to overtake Tua. The opposition is a factor, sure. But in the end, these guys are getting to actually play. I'm happy for them in that regard.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
OK. Really needed Jalen. He is their one man band.
I thought when Jalen went to OK he was likely to evolve into a one man offense.

All I'll say about the comments reputed to have been made by Jalen, is...
Don't believe everything the press writes about you.
When you start believing them you get the Big Head, and lots of guys
become too big for their britches. THAT'S WHEN EVERYONE WILL HATE YOU.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Really, a whole thread about Jalen against this joke of a team and I had to go to ESPN for Jalen's stats?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Jalen really might win the Heisman. And I find myself caring less and less by the week. I really wanted Tua to win it last year but somehow I feel much more jaded towards the whole thing this year. Maybe I'll feel differently if Tua wins it though idk. Regardless, I am happy Jalen is thriving. He clearly made the right choice. I think he might actually get a shot as a QB in the NFL and I had doubted that in the past. I don't think he'll be a long time starter but he is the type of character that could absolutely prove me wrong.

Side note: I think it would be an amazing story if Jalen one day becomes a coach after learning under so many great football minds (Saban, Kiffin, Riley). And then one day becomes a national championship winning head coach at Alabama. Obviously a long long way off but that would be worthy of quite the 30 for 30.

Back to the game...Watching this game and the Clemson game I've started wondering if OU would be a really bad matchup for Clemson. Especially if TL keeps turning the ball over (I think he will). OU has the coach and offense to score on them and actually capitalize on mistakes. Clemson should be fearful of a shoot out game IMO(but so should we for other reasons).

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think Jalen has a genuine understanding of why things played out and an true appreciation of Saban and his time under him. He understands the respect and affection Saban holds for him.

I doubt he's talking shots at Saban now, and if he does slip up and show a little "maybe I could have gotten the job done at Bama" attitude, well, that's human nature. He is a competitor who believes in himself, so I'm going to cut him a mulligan if he says something wrong.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think Jalen has a genuine understanding of why things played out and an true appreciation of Saban and his time under him. He understands the respect and affection Saban holds for him.

I doubt he's talking shots at Saban now, and if he does slip up and show a little "maybe I could have gotten the job done at Bama" attitude, well, that's human nature. He is a competitor who believes in himself, so I'm going to cut him a mulligan if he says something wrong.
My question is who is the “they” that quoted Hurts as saying this? I was flipping among other games as I thought this would be OU boat racing UCLA. I can’t seem to find a quote anywhere along this line.

One thing for certain. The media would love it if he did.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.