Game Thread: Jalen Hurts vs Ucla

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You guys do realize, don't you, that Jalen has yet to play against a single one of those Big 12 flag football defenses mentioned here so prominently?
You DO realize, don't you, that:

a) Oklahoma still plays the same offense regardless of whether the team has Big 12 next to it's name
b) the defenses they've faced are Houston (122), UCLA (115), and non-FBS South Dakota - are substantially worse than the current worst Big 12 defense, Texas (96)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You DO realize, don't you, that:

a) Oklahoma still plays the same offense regardless of whether the team has Big 12 next to it's name
b) the defenses they've faced are Houston (122), UCLA (115), and non-FBS South Dakota - are substantially worse than the current worst Big 12 defense, Texas (96)
Wait, isn't Texas supposed to have the best defense in the Big 12? 96th? Ouch!

See what happens to Big 12 defensive stats when they have to play the high flying offenses of the SEC? :biggrin2:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The recurring theme of this thread (or so it seemed to me) was that Jalen is putting up pinball machine numbers because he's playing against Big 12 defenses (as opposed to the SEC defenses he played against in previous years). While no one has to remind me that defenses in the SEC have been much tougher than those in the Big 12, I was merely pointing out that Hurts has not actually played against a Big 12 defense. That, as succinctly as I can put it, was my point.

Now I'm gonna get a little bit huffy.

1) We had a poster earlier claiming we said the Heisman isn't important, which I don't believe anybody said. What we've said is that the entire process of how they award it is a sick joke, and the lack of Heisman Trophy winners at Texas Tech proves that conclusively. We might can quibble over some small things but a QB that throws for TWO THOUSAND YARDS more than another QB has no damn business losing the trophy to someone else who threw for less. 200? Sure. 2000? You've got to be kidding me.

2) You've now said this same basic thing twice. I've gone back and looked at the thread, and I don't see anybody saying Jalen has run up these numbers against Big 12 defenses.

We have said he WILL do so, not that HE HAS done so.

I'm not one of these SEC guys who says, "OU ain't no good" blah blah blah. But year after friggin' year after friggin' year I watch this stuff, and it's become just ridiculous. Media types watch this geyser level output and - for reasons that still mystify me in my rapidly advancing middle age - they think someone is absolutely unstoppable because the offense cranks out 55 points a game.

1983 Nebraska
1995 Florida
2003 Oklahoma
2008 Oklahoma
2010 Oregon
2017 Oklahoma

We heard the non-stop hype and everyone is impressed.......and then those teams get on the field against a team that plays actual defense. 2010 Auburn might be the worst defense to ever win the national title, but they held that 50 ppg Quack Attack to 19 points, which was actually 5 below their season average point surrendering of 24. 2008 Oklahoma had something like five games in a row where they scored 60 plus points......and got a whopping 2 TDs against Urban Meyer's defense. (I don't include last year's Sooners because everyone conceded that Alabama could not only match OU punch for punch, we had a substantially better defense - so there was some modification).

2017 OU looked fantastic - for one half. Then the teams went in and made adjustments and the OU offense got ONE TOUCHDOWN in the second half plus overtime (the other was a fumble return by the OU defense).

Over and over we hear this, and over and over the same result happens every single time. The few teams that scored a ton of points and won titles - 1995 Nebraska or say 2013 FSU - had very good defenses on the field as well.

Our point is that Hurts - by virtue of the style of ball played, the type of defenses most Big 12 teams run - is going to compile a ton of yards simply by switching leagues. It's preposterous that they get hung up on the numbers - but only from guys on certain teams. No, he hasn't faced any of those, but those won't cut his numbers very much, either.

But I'm not seeing anyone say he's already done this against Big 12 schools, either.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

See what happens to Big 12 defensive stats when they have to play the high flying offenses of the SEC? :biggrin2:
Texas has surrendered an average of 417 yards per game in 3 games (96th nationally) and 24 ppg (62nd).

Rice got exactly their average on offense (meaning the Texas D was about equal to nobody being on the field) and they held La Tech 9 points below average.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

You've heard of a balanced offense......Texas plays a balanced defense.

They can't stop the run.
They can't stop the pass.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.