Game Thread: Jalen Hurts vs Ucla

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Jalen was tremendously improved after working with Enos before the start of last season, but Tua still beat him out for the starter position. Jalen had his chance, but Tua was still better. And still is. Can you imagine if Tua were playing for Oklahoma, and what he'd be doing to those weak defenses?
True. And Jalen continues to improve under Riley' tutelage. If he continues to put up numbers like he has so far, Jalen will win the Heisman. It's just too good of a story to let slip by.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
True. And Jalen continues to improve under Riley' tutelage. If he continues to put up numbers like he has so far, Jalen will win the Heisman. It's just too good of a story to let slip by.
And may even get drafted. As recently as last year, I had serious doubts he would. Even if he wins the Heisman, he might not be drafted highly. I guess we'll see...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Au contraire, thus far into the season we can project that "4th Quarter Tua" will be called on to win a game or two unless 'Bama's defense grows into the job expected of an Alabama championship-winning defense. And regardless of who's playing QB at OU and working on the school's third straight Heisman Trophy, that story will supersede the pinball play of the Big 12 with 10 teams - and no defenses.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
And may even get drafted. As recently as last year, I had serious doubts he would. Even if he wins the Heisman, he might not be drafted highly. I guess we'll see...
I didn't think he would be drafted as a QB. I think I'm probably wrong now. I agree that it probably won't be too highly though.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I didn't think he would be drafted as a QB. I think I'm probably wrong now. I agree that it probably won't be too highly though.
I stand by my initial assessment of great college QB but won't make it in the NFL. In the NFL the QB has to be able to make throws from the pocket and go through progressions. To my eyes he still struggles to do that at OU..

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I stand by my initial assessment of great college QB but won't make it in the NFL. In the NFL the QB has to be able to make throws from the pocket and go through progressions. To my eyes he still struggles to do that at OU..
Yea 100% agree. But Tim Tebow somehow got drafted in the 1st and I'm not sure if there has been a QB with this much wide spread admiration since Tebow.

I also think he's more accurate than he was. Enough so to get drafted. Again, I don't think he's a first rounder or anything but I used to think there was no way he was drafted as a QB at all.

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
You guys do realize, don't you, that Jalen has yet to play against a single one of those Big 12 flag football defenses mentioned here so prominently?

And that is in no way a put-down of Tua or the Bama program. I'd gladly trade either or both of the last two Heisman Trophies won by Sooner quarterbacks for a couple of the national titles won by Bama in the last decade.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
True, but how scary are Houston, South Dakota and UCLA?

You guys do realize, don't you, that Jalen has yet to play against a single one of those Big 12 flag football defenses mentioned here so prominently?

And that is in no way a put-down of Tua or the Bama program. I'd gladly trade either or both of the last two Heisman Trophies won by Sooner quarterbacks for a couple of the national titles won by Bama in the last decade.

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
True, but how scary are Houston, South Dakota and UCLA?
Not very. Perhaps not even as imposing as Duke, New Mexico State and South Carolina.

Then again, most ranked D-1 teams have played predominantly cupcake schedules through the first three weeks of the season.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Not very. Perhaps not even as imposing as Duke, New Mexico State and South Carolina.

Then again, most ranked D-1 teams have played predominantly cupcake schedules through the first three weeks of the season.
And that's why many of the Bama fans here are concerned about our performance despite large victories.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make?

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
And that's why many of the Bama fans here are concerned about our performance despite large victories.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make?
I can assure you that OU fans are equally concerned (in regard to our team's defensive performance, that is).

I meant no disrespect.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I can assure you that OU fans are equally concerned (in regard to our team's defensive performance, that is).

I meant no disrespect.
I'm not offended by anything you're saying, I'm just genuinely curious what your point you're trying to make?

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I need to get caught up here...so you're an OU fan? That's not a smart aleck question...

Originally Posted by scrybe

I meant no disrespect.
I'm not offended by anything you're saying, I'm just genuinely curious what your point you're trying to make?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Fair point. Just going on the history of the league over the past decade or so. FWIW, I do think OU's defense has improved...

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I think the point is, Hurts' sample size and quality is not a good measurement of his skills. There are some good D's in the Big 12 in terms of scheming more wide open O's. TCU, Texas, Iowa State, and K-State will all test his skill. They will force him to throw to win.

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
The recurring theme of this thread (or so it seemed to me) was that Jalen is putting up pinball machine numbers because he's playing against Big 12 defenses (as opposed to the SEC defenses he played against in previous years). While no one has to remind me that defenses in the SEC have been much tougher than those in the Big 12, I was merely pointing out that Hurts has not actually played against a Big 12 defense. That, as succinctly as I can put it, was my point.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think the point is, Hurts' sample size and quality is not a good measurement of his skills. There are some good D's in the Big 12 in terms of scheming more wide open O's. TCU, Texas, Iowa State, and K-State will all test his skill. They will force him to throw to win.
We will see. I think that he can run for 200+ yards against any Big 12 defense if Riley wanted him to. But that isn't going to get him ready for the CFP defenses that you will face. If you want him to be ready for those games, you need to ease up on the RPO stuff before then. He is a better passer than before, but he still pulls the ball down too soon, IMO.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The recurring theme of this thread (or so it seemed to me) was that Jalen is putting up pinball machine numbers because he's playing against Big 12 defenses (as opposed to the SEC defenses he played against in previous years). While no one has to remind me that defenses in the SEC have been much tougher than those in the Big 12, I was merely pointing out that Hurts has not actually played against a Big 12 defense. That, as succinctly as I can put it, was my point.
Yep - a fair point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.