Question: Who are your Top 6 after week 3

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Defense and the Run game still are perplexing for me, though they looked better.

1. Clemson
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State
5. Alabama
6. LSU

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Defense and the Run game still are perplexing for me, though they looked better.

1. Clemson
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State
5. Alabama
6. LSU
Not a bad list, nothing with which I can quibble.

Hell, I'd be willing to move LSU above us AT THIS TIME because they have a bigger game trophy on the wall with the win over Texas than we do thus far. The numbers 2-6 can be jiggled about almost any way right now, but I'd pretty much rank them the way you have except probably lower us one spot.

I realize the obvious objection will be, "But Clemson hasn't played anybody," which is true. However, Clemson is the defending national champion with an 18-game winning streak so different rules apply to them until they lose or look lackluster in winning (and another unbeaten plays a substantially tougher schedule).

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Agree with Clemson at 1 but would say pick em at 2 through 6. Thanks you for not including Notre Dane.
I like that LSU plays 2 very tough defensive teams (Florida and Auburn) before they play Alabama. They may lose one or both of those games but they are sure to get beaten and bruised.
The Pac 12 looks like a mess--Cal and ASU are both 3 and 0 but not championship caliber--the best three teams--Oregon, Washington and USC all have a loss already.
The ACC has one decent team, the B1G has OSU until they lose a game to someone no one expects them to lose to--maybe Michigan this year or Northwestern. Texas is the best one loss team I have seen--if they beat Oklahoma things will get more interesting in that conference.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Not a bad list, nothing with which I can quibble.

Hell, I'd be willing to move LSU above us AT THIS TIME because they have a bigger game trophy on the wall with the win over Texas than we do thus far. The numbers 2-6 can be jiggled about almost any way right now, but I'd pretty much rank them the way you have except probably lower us one spot.

I realize the obvious objection will be, "But Clemson hasn't played anybody," which is true. However, Clemson is the defending national champion with an 18-game winning streak so different rules apply to them until they lose or look lackluster in winning (and another unbeaten plays a substantially tougher schedule).
Hahaha, I was sitting here thinking that I wouldn't put Clemson number one based on what I've seen, but then I couldn't think of a team that I would put at number one. Your reasoning sounds better than anything I could create. Until someone definitely shows me that they deserve it more, I'll keep Clemson at number one, too. As others have said, 2-6 could be pulled randomly from a hat at this point. We shall see which teams improve their weaknesses to rise above the others.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
"If you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best". Right now the title belongs to Clemson. I'm not a real believer in LSU football until they beat us!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State
5. LSU
6. Georgia

I don't see much difference between the top 6 right now so I'm not ranking Alabama down the list out of spite because I don't like passing for 500 yards instead of having 200 yards rushing.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Saban basically said the same thing--more running yards would be nice but when you have the most accurate throwing QB in college football and the best wide receivers in college football and the opponents are stacking the box you'd be crazy not to fling the ball around and score a ton of points.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Hahaha, I was sitting here thinking that I wouldn't put Clemson number one based on what I've seen, but then I couldn't think of a team that I would put at number one. Your reasoning sounds better than anything I could create. Until someone definitely shows me that they deserve it more, I'll keep Clemson at number one, too. As others have said, 2-6 could be pulled randomly from a hat at this point. We shall see which teams improve their weaknesses to rise above the others.
If we had a system where there were no rankings until week 3, I would NOT have Clemson number one right now - not saying they're not good, but they haven't really faced anyone challenging yet. But having grown up under the old bowl system of "where you start the season ranked is one of the 2-3 most important things," I've long said the rankings should simply carry over. With a four-team playoff, it doesn't matter at all because it all shakes out in the end. Where you start NOW doesn't make much difference as long as you win.

So the defending champion - regardless - has always gotten my vote until they lose - yes, even Auburn's 2011 mediocrity got the benefit of the doubt with me.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I don't see much difference between the top 6 right now so I'm not ranking Alabama down the list out of spite because I don't like passing for 500 yards instead of having 200 yards rushing.
I'm OK with that. I know CNS said the same the thing. However, I would like to see us have a more balanced attack. It is, what it is.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Those are clearly the best 6 teams right now. Injuries down the stretch and head to head will sort out the rest, but at least 3 of the 4 CFP teams are on that list, IMO.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm OK with that. I know CNS said the same the thing. However, I would like to see us have a more balanced attack. It is, what it is.
Me too. It would certainly help the defense. But you take what you're given. I'm of the opinion we can win them all this way, but we increase our chances if we shore things up, yes.

I just know all of these other teams have their flaws too. They aren't being exposed yet, because they haven't faced competition (not saying we have played a great schedule either). For instance Lawrence keeps turning the ball over but that's not going to stop Clemson from going 13-0 and winning the ACC.

I do think we've got the toughest schedule of all the contenders. Well, so does LSU. Georgia does play Notre Dame but I do not expect that to be a close game in the end.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I like where we are right now as a work in progress. We peaked way too early last year at the LSU game. Just keep grinding one play at a time.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Has Clemson played better than us this year? Better than OU? Better than tOSU? UGA?

Because their passing game has been average at best.

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Have you seen Georgia play? They're good, but that game yesterday was a joke. Listening to the coverage here about how great Aaron Murray light is...my goodness he didn't have to throw the ball past the line of scrimmage. AK St. couldn't tackle my Nana...(She was pretty quick though!)
Clemson at 1, Georgia at 2, 3-6 is a toss up . Hard for me to put Bana at 2 right now. We just dont look it to be honest.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Have you seen Georgia play? They're good, but that game yesterday was a joke. Listening to the coverage here about how great Aaron Murray light is...my goodness he didn't have to throw the ball past the line of scrimmage. AK St. couldn't tackle my Nana...(She was pretty quick though!)
Tell Nana she’s invited to our annual Turkey Bowl game in November. My team needs an outside speed element for slants and jet sweeps. ������

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.