Not your old school Bama?!?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A few years ago we played smash-mouth football with a dominating O-line and run game. We have not been successful when we try that lately. I am not sure why. Different type of recruiting priority I suspect but I don't know. We have awesome RBs but seem to lacking in high ranked linemen.
You have great RBs and better o-linemen that you had in 2017. It really comes down to the offensive identity that you want to establish.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Great, elite passing game...good running backs and average OL....quick scoring O....but a D with lots of guys that played high school last year.

D just needs playing time, game experience...learning to counter things like what SC threw at them.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Great, elite passing game...good running backs and average OL....quick scoring O....but a D with lots of guys that played high school last year.

D just needs playing time, game experience...learning to counter things like what SC threw at them.
Plus we played a VERY VERY base defense. Kept everything in front of them --

That gave them yards between the 20s -- but no long busted plays....

If we can keep everything in front of us -- eventually other teams make mistakes. Miss a couple of passes, fumble the snap, etc..... it's not a bad process this early in the season...

Give them time to get comfortable....

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
I want to see Alabama struggle more during the first half of the season. I think the team and maybe the fans were lulled into a false sense of how good the team was because we were blowing teams out in the first quarter and a half and never being challenged. I loved the USCe game because it was a good mix of struggle, frustration and success.
most knowlegeable fans were not lulled last season and Saban even called it leaking oil on vintage car.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Plus we played a VERY VERY base defense. Kept everything in front of them --

That gave them yards between the 20s -- but no long busted plays....

If we can keep everything in front of us -- eventually other teams make mistakes. Miss a couple of passes, fumble the snap, etc..... it's not a bad process this early in the season...

Give them time to get comfortable....
Exactly...mistakes will come for the D to capitalize on...guys will get more confidence...more plays will get made. Lee is doing really well for a true freshman in a position that requires a lot especially in a Saban D.

The days of holding good teams to less than 20 are gone for now. Hope for keeping them under 30 to 35 and having our elite O decimate everyone. This O wont be as easy to stop for the elite teams we play. Just that D has got to grow up before we play them.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
Nope, what? Better o-linemen? Straight up fact. This group is far more talented. So, are you saying that your group of 5 star RBs suck?
Damien Harris, Bo Scarbrough, and Josh Jacobs > Najee, Robinson, Robinson, etc

We are missing a low cg RB with strong legs. Though one of the freshman could develop into that after some Cochran treatment.

But more important the Oline is just level below that squad. I would like them to prove me wrong.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Damien Harris, Bo Scarbrough, and Josh Jacobs > Najee, Robinson, Robinson, etc

But more important the Oline is just level below that squad. I would like them to prove me wrong.
I didn't say that the RBs were as good - Henry alone put them over the top in that regard. But they are great. Any one of your RBs would start for almost every team in America. Believe it. They are that good. I would love to have the worst of them at Ohio State to help Dobbins.

As for the o-line - I am talking about talent/potential. This line should be better than any of your lines other than 2012, which was arguably the best o-line in the history of the game. Every player other than your center is NFL talent. When Brown comes back in, I expect to see great things.

I wonder if Brown can play center?

R.Bama1980

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 4, 2017
That was actually the first game I remember as a kid!! Pretty much knew I was a Bama fan after that loss!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.