Not your old school Bama?!?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Third Team

Not your old school Bama?!?

Is this the year the offense carries the defense?
    For as long as I remember tough D always carried the team ... until the offense caught up . Thoughts?

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Not your old school Bama?!?

Quote Originally Posted by R.Bama1980 View Post
    Is this the year the offense carries the defense?
    For as long as I remember tough D always carried the team ... until the offense caught up . Thoughts?
    They did last year, until they didn't.

BamaNation Third Team

Your absolutely right! I guess Im talking historically Bama ball!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R.Bama1980 View Post
    Your absolutely right! I guess I’m talking historically Bama ball!!
    Today, only Big 12 and non-P5 schools are happy with teams that have to be carried by their offense. Rarely does it win championships. But during the wishbone era, lots of Alabama teams won on the backs of their great offenses.

BamaNation Third Team

Defense wins championships! Love our offense though!

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

How short memories are.....we tried this—a pass happy O with mediocre D and run game— in 1989 and it did not work. We were beaten soundly by an inferior Auburn team and then proceeded to lose our bowl game. Right now I see the same outcome for this season.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    How short memories are.....we tried this—a pass happy O with mediocre D and run game— in 1989 and it did not work. We were beaten soundly by an inferior Auburn team and then proceeded to lose our bowl game. Right now I see the same outcome for this season.
    Gloom, Despair and Agony on me!!!!! Ohhhhhhh!!!!
    Last edited by CajunCrimson; September 16th, 2019 at 08:33 AM.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

You play to your strengths, period. Our strength this year is our passing game. It doesn't mean we don't include the running game. But let's be honest, even if the OL improves in the running game. Do we really think it will reach the same level of our passing game? I can comfortably answer that with a resounding "NO". A lot of Alabama fans are so used to the running game being the most talented and being the strength of our offense. But that simply will not be the case this season. So even though we will continue to try to improve the running game and get better at it. We don't need to stubbornly try to win games by not playing to our strength. That would be asinine.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

An awful lot of greenery on defense right now. They need to grow...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

The biggest thing Alabama can do for right now is try to establish the running game and eat up the clock.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with the defense, but they are beat up and if they keep having to go right back out there on the field they are going to struggle. Saban has said as much, but right now Alabama is stuck in a cycle where yes the offense is potent and puts up a lot of points, but it happens to do it in such a way that they might have to sustain that level of scoring to keep out ahead. A worn out defense can only do so much...

If I wasn't lazy I'd bring up the stats again to show Alabama had has more success when they had a dominant running game, and actually hasn't had much when they had a QB putting up dominating stats. This isn't a knock on Tua, but it just speaks to the importance of establishing a powerful running game and not becoming overly reliant on the passing game.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; September 16th, 2019 at 01:04 AM.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    Gloom, Dispair and Agony on me!!!!! Ohhhhhhh!!!!
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Third Team

Hey since Julio we are WR U. I can't think of another school who's had more talent at the position in the last 10 years. Saban's zero hesitation on 4th & 3 at midfield and putting the ball in Tua's hands with 5 wide really says it all. Plus letting his QB throw out of his own end zone with a 14 point lead.

Saban has NEVER had a QB he would trust to put it in the air in that situation till Tua. It would be get a 1st down on the ground or punt and play D. I feel like there is probably a better chance of a back fumbling than Tua throwing a pick and bet the stats would bear that out.

It would be criminal to stubbornly pound the ball at the expense of Tua and these wideouts. Not to mention Najee is a threat catching the ball out of the backfield. Some of those short quick passes are really the equivalent of runs and force the defense to bring men up into the box or get carved up.

USC had great a gameplan, executed it well, and got solid QB play. If the D can bend but not break and make a few big stops and get a turnover or two like they did we will be just fine with this offense scoring the way they do.

Actually glad they got a game with a competent QB that challenged them a little. That game will help them be ready for LSU.

BamaNation First Team GCtidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tide99 View Post
    It would be criminal to stubbornly pound the ball at the expense of Tua and these wideouts. Not to mention Najee is a threat catching the ball out of the backfield. Some of those short quick passes are really the equivalent of runs and force the defense to bring men up into the box or get carved up.
    Coach Bryant would say "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of those are bad".
    3rd and goal from the 4 is tough without a solid run game.